986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Thinking of Trading In For New Miata (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61059-thinking-trading-new-miata.html)

Porsche Chick 04-01-2016 11:19 AM

Thinking of Trading In For New Miata

What do you think?

It's about the same, isn't it? :confused:

BIGJake111 04-01-2016 11:25 AM

Thinking of Trading In For New Miata

The Miata is still a much smaller engine with nearly 100 less hp and 100 less ft lbs of torque compared to a 986S.

It is lighter though, the handling is likely very similar.

Racer Boy 04-01-2016 11:55 AM

The Miata won't be quite as quick as a 986, but it will handle just as well, for all intents and purposes. The Miata will be a lot less expensive to operate, and will be more reliable and easier to service.

alm001 04-01-2016 11:57 AM

Go for it, you only live once, right?
Plus it actually has the engine in the RIGHT place.

I think I'll switch with you.

Shoeless 04-01-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Chick (Post 489775)
What do you think?

It's about the same, isn't it? :confused:

What are you driving now?

Lapister 04-01-2016 12:12 PM

To all: Get well soon.

Giller 04-01-2016 12:27 PM

April Fools, Right? Right???

Shoeless 04-01-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 489791)
April Fools, Right? Right???

Never thought of that. Now I get it.

Porsche Chick 04-01-2016 05:26 PM

Yeah, April Fools! :D

It's nice that you guys tried to be so polite and reasonable about it.

But, no, no Miata for me. It would be like going from a Porsche to . . . well . . . a Mazda! And not even the RX-7 Mazda!

Had you going for a minute though, didn't I?

:dance::dance:

(Jake, do you ever do your classwork? You better be getting A's, young man! )

Jim Rockford 04-01-2016 06:55 PM

Well based on this article posted a few threads down (see link at bottom) the basic Miata formula and success inspired Porsche to conceive the Boxster. So Miata vs Boxster debates aside, we all likely owe Mazda a thank you for exciting interest in affordable to semi-affordable roadsters and finalized bringing the sportscar scene out of the malaise era.

Further to this, for anyone who is in the market for a non-premium daily driver, Mazda is the only brand in the market with a pulse and an understanding of design.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/look-back-car-saved-porsche-145017340.html

Shoeless 04-02-2016 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Chick (Post 489822)
Yeah, April Fools! :D

It's nice that you guys tried to be so polite and reasonable about it.

But, no, no Miata for me. It would be like going from a Porsche to . . . well . . . a Mazda! And not even the RX-7 Mazda!

Had you going for a minute though, didn't I?

:dance::dance:

(Jake, do you ever do your classwork? You better be getting A's, young man! )

Oh Thank God!!! You had me at first. The little Mazda is a neat car, and I'm not taking anything away from the car, but... It's no Porsche.

BYprodriver 04-03-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 489784)
The Miata won't be quite as quick as a 986, but it will handle just as well, for all intents and purposes. The Miata will be a lot less expensive to operate, and will be more reliable and easier to service.

Drove a couple new MX-5's lately, steering is very quick with good feel & feedback. Engine placement in the Boxster makes it's handling unbeatable by any car not costing twice as much. Interior of the MX-5 is much smaller. Agree on operating costs.

Porsche Chick 04-04-2016 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 489976)
Drove a couple new MX-5's lately, steering is very quick with good feel & feedback. Engine placement in the Boxster makes it's handling unbeatable by any car not costing twice as much. Interior of the MX-5 is much smaller. Agree on operating costs.

In my last car search, I tried a bunch of cars before DH finally talked me into the boxster (what? I can drive a Porsche?). One of them was the Mazda MX-5, and that thing is a bit of a monster. SOOOO torquey (is that a word?), hubs was driving it pretty hard and I got tossed around like a bean in a can. Those things have got some moves! But it felt like the engine was putting in a lot of effort, it felt maxed out. The beauty of the Porsches is that you feel like they have a lot more to give, not matter how hard you drive it.

A side bar from the "Try Everything" car search": the Mustangs were like driving a UPS truck. Pretty quick to 50 mph, but when you have to slow to 17 to make a 90 degree turn, it kind of takes the fun out of it. :rolleyes:

fridsten 04-04-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Chick (Post 489822)

That said... A Miata with the powertrain from an RX-7.
I'd actually like that. :rolleyes: