Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 03:26 PM   #1

Oil Change?

Getting ready to change oil and filter on my box S. The odo shows 5k(the book says change every 15k, but that seems too long). Mahle is the filter I am going to order from tweeks. I know tweeks is overpriced, but some places that have parts for cheap are alittle unreliable. The price for the filter is $15. I'm putting in 0w 40 mobil one because thats what the dealer said is stock. Any advice about changing the oil would be appreciated since this is my first boxster oil change.
Thanks.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:20 PM   #2

I had planned to write this up once, but many folks have beat me to it - and thanks to google, I found several examples on line. The info at Pelican Parts is the one that is almost identical to the process I use, right down to the same filter wrench I found to fit the Boxster filter housing.

A prior thread on this site here as well.

My last filter was under $15 at the dealership (mention PCA membership and most will give you 10% off).
Old 12-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
Porsche_Daddy

So what are these "special tools" needed to change the oil filter and oil at the local hardware store or autozone? I just got the filter and I plan on buying a case of 0w 40 in a few days.

Adam
Old 12-09-2003, 02:32 PM   #4

As posted in the article at Pelican Parts: "You will also need an 8mm allen wrench" {this is for the drain plug} ", and the correct size oil filter wrench. I used a plastic wrench" {AmeriPro 6 Wrenches in 1} "that fits several different sizes of filters, one of which happened to be correct for the Boxster (Figure 2)."

Lots more good detail posted on their site via the link in my prior post above.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
Porsche_Daddy

Thanks Donv, I plan on checking out the site. I was afraid I would have to special order a tool. I am glad this is not the case.

Thanks again,
ADAM
Old 12-10-2003, 09:26 PM   #6

Everything you need.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote