Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #1

Saturn Sky

I walked over to the Saturn dealer from work today and took a look at the Sky. It's a really nice looking car in person. They did a great job on the exterior design. I'm sure it isn't the best car when it comes to driving dynamics, but for the price seems like a nice roadster for alot of people.

I'm not implying I would in any way prefer this over my Boxster, but check it out. It's nice.

drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I walked over to the Saturn dealer from work today and took a look at the Sky. It's a really nice looking car in person. They did a great job on the exterior design. I'm sure it isn't the best car when it comes to driving dynamics, but for the price seems like a nice roadster for alot of people.

I'm not implying I would in any way prefer this over my Boxster, but check it out. It's nice.
I'd really like to test drive the forthcoming Redline version (250hp). I tried to get my wife to buy one but she wasn't interested in anything without a back seat.... Damn!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #3

I think I'd take a Sky over a Solstice. Then I would debadge that thing every which way I could.

They are pretty decent looking cars at present. But I predict it won't be long until they are like Miatas and Corvettes... abundant as can be -wearing out their welcome on my retinas.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
I think I'd take a Sky over a Solstice. .
X2 MUCh better looking then the Solstice. I bet the redline will be a blast to drive also.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #5

I followed a Crossfire to the bank this morning for a good five minutes or so on the freeway.

The style is growing on me and if they can evolve that car into a real sports car with better handling and a larger engine, it's gonna sell very well I think.

I need to go see a Sky though. I've only seen it in paper ads and billboards.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I followed a Crossfire to the bank this morning for a good five minutes or so on the freeway.

The style is growing on me and if they can evolve that car into a real sports car with better handling and a larger engine, it's gonna sell very well I think.

I need to go see a Sky though. I've only seen it in paper ads and billboards.
The only problem I have with the Crossfire is the interior. I cannot state strong enough how disappointed I was when I looked inside. Parts of the interior look like my wife's old Grand-Am. The drive tunnel is made of some extremely cheap, hard, pebbly, poor fitting plastic. The 2001 VW Cabrio we ended up buying (for 1/10 the cost) had an interior 10x nicer from an appearance, fit, and feel standpoint. The Crossfire is a car I wouldn't mind being seen in - but not sure I'd actually want to be in it.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

It really looks like a dog hunched over taking a dump! I think it will be as successful as the Cadillac Allante.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #8

It really looks like a dog hunched over taking a dump! I think it will be as successful as the Cadillac Allante.

LOL, classic ! (and true).

As for the Allante, I thought it was and is a great looking convertible, unlike the new convertible offerings from Caddy.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
creseida

Y'all do realise that the Sky is a Solstice?

As for the Crossfire, it had too much Crossover from the SLK for my tastes, including the horrendously uncomfortable MB seats.
I bought an MB 3 years ago and took it back within 5 days because the seats literally crippled me.

My next daily driver is going to be a Mini Cooper S. Might even get the vert.....
Old 05-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseida
Y'all do realise that the Sky is a Solstice?
I'm sure most people are aware of that they are based around the same vehicle. However, the Sky and the Solstice share none of the same body panels. Additionally, the interiors of the two are very different. The Sky also has some suspension tweaks that aren't in the Solstice - although I understand they may end up on the Solstice as well. So, for all intensive purposes, they are different cars.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #11

A couple of negatives regarding the Sky, after another visit to the Saturn dealer:

- The top is not automatic, it's manual and requires some effort to put up
- The top also takes up pretty much the entire trunk. There is NO space to carry
anything in this car. The salesman, was trying to say you can store stuff in a
small open area underneath the folded top - that's convenient.
- Didn't get a chance to actually drive it, but I did start it up - exhaust note sucks
- Salesman claims 50/50 weight distribution, I find that hard to believe but
possible
- Interior finish works for the car - not bad

I still have to say the car looks great, I love the front end. The hood is also clamshell opening, which is cool too. It has a nice wide aggressive stance and looks alot 'sportier' than it actually is.

Will be interesting to see the RedLine version when that becomes available later this year.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #12

Agreed. I wouldn't want one of those as my car - but I did think it would be kinda fun if my wife decided she wanted one. I'm extremely interested to see how the Redline version performs. BTW, from what I've read - they do have a 50/50 distribution.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #13

Except for Creseida, I think we should limit posts to this thread... "A man shall not show excessive interest in the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky, and under no conditions be seen behind the wheel."

That's Man Law.

* Regardless of searing pain, a man doesnt' alter his stride over hot sand.
* A man may engage in gardening, but he must call it farming.
* A man is under no obligation to notice another man's haircut.
* Riding in a taxi is the only acceptable instance a man may be seen in a yellow car.
* A man shall never knowingly order a drink that is served inside a hollowed-out coconut shell.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
creseida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Except for Creseida, I think we should limit posts to this thread... "A man shall not show excessive interest in the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky, and under no conditions be seen behind the wheel."

That's Man Law.

* Regardless of searing pain, a man doesnt' alter his stride over hot sand.
* A man may engage in gardening, but he must call it farming.
* A man is under no obligation to notice another man's haircut.
* Riding in a taxi is the only acceptable instance a man may be seen in a yellow car.
* A man shall never knowingly order a drink that is served inside a hollowed-out coconut shell.
Am I exempt 'cause I'm a chick? LOL The irony is, I have zero interest in the Sky/Solstice. And while I do realise they appear different, they share a platform, which, to me means that, for all intents and purposes, they are the same car with different window dressing. JMO

Last edited by creseida; 05-17-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #15

" Riding in a taxi is the only acceptable instance a man may be seen in a yellow car."

You will have to tell that to the guys that drive the Corvette C6R to wins at Lemans, Sebring, etc.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote