Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #1

Garage
Car Cover

Hi Guys

I was thinking of getting a car cover.

What do you guys do when you not using it, or looking at it for a period of time?
(Mainly for long term)

Any pros or cons that I might be missing?

Any suggestion's on a make? Dealer wants $650 for one.

Happy Easter!
Bart

My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

Garage
When I don't have my hardtop on I always have a cover over the car when in the garage. It takes a min to deal with in the morning to take off, and a few to put on in the afternoon but it's worth it because... Cats.

Whenever I have the hardtop on I fold the cover and keep it in a closet. Mine isn't for show therefore not Porsche brand and was rather cheap.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
Hi Guys

I was thinking of getting a car cover.

What do you guys do when you not using it, or looking at it for a period of time?
(Mainly for long term)

Any pros or cons that I might be missing?

Any suggestion's on a make? Dealer wants $650 for one.

Happy Easter!
Bart
Buy two flat panel king size flannel sheets in whatever color floats your boat. Very soft, will protect the car well if stored inside, throw them in the wash when they get dirty; and very cheap.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Buy two flat panel king size flannel sheets in whatever color floats your boat. Very soft, will protect the car well if stored inside, throw them in the wash when they get dirty; and very cheap.
For indoors, that is a great idea.
For outdoors, I've been very happy with Covercraft Weathershield HP covers. For a custom fit cover, they run between $250-300.
I think that it is very similar to the CoverKing Stormproof covers sold by Pelican at about the same price.

I have also bought plenty of cheap polyester covers ($40-130) with pressed material like this:

They are inexpensive and keep the dust and cat-debris off, but do not hold up well outdoors.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
This goes way back... I bought an inexpensive indoor cover @ CTC years ago to cover up my 5.0 Mustang in the off season.
It has a second life now being used to keep dust off my Boxster during hibernation. Yes, it is huge on the Boxster, but I see no need to buy another cover simply to keep dust off while it's in the garage. Maybe it's me, but I could give a rat's azz if the cover has a Porsche crest on it.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

I have to store my Boxster outside year-round, so I bought a California Car Covers cover. $300. Worked great until after 3 years it started to disintegrate this winter. Lots of UV light at the elevation where I live. I called them up and they sent me a new one for free under warranty! Fit is outstanding. I bought the Superweave fabric.

California Car Cover Company - Car Cover Materials
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks Guys
I appreciate the different options that I didn't consider.

Bart
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Garage
Since I live with a black car where summer temps are usually around 100 deg f I have 2 covers. I have both the Porsche silver reflective outdoor cover and the indoor soft cover. I put the soft cover on with the reflective over it . This way when the wind blows the paint does not get rub marks and the car stays cool. Any other crazies that do this?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

Garage
After going through two of the cheap eBay covers I bit the bullet and bought the Porsche outdoor Silverguard cover which is lined and has a locking cable. Sun coast had them on sale for $225 (the regular price is $275)so it is a far cry from what your stealer is trying to make you pay.
I've been using it, mostly under a covered parking spot, for over three years and the elastic is like day one. The locking cable has kept thieves out of the car twice as they tried to lift the cover up to see in the car but the cable wouldn't let the cover up high enough. No problems in wind, the elastic really grips. If this one wears out I'll buy another it is that good.

Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I'd like this cover more if I could debadge the rear.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #11

I just got a custom-fitted "coverking" for another car, and after owning a number of "generic fits many cars" covers, I'm really amazed at how cool the whole custom-fitted thing is. Rather than having a whole bunch of wrinkles that look awful and pool water and debris, you get a sleek perfectly contour-fitting cover that hugs the shape of the car, and readily beads water straight off since there are virtually zero wrinkles. Based on my research, there are basically two companies (based in the US, anyway) which make custom-fit covers: covercraft, and coverking. Since they build whatever cover you want to order, you can also often specify desired options, like colors (some allow multiple colors), reflective piping, contrast stitching, etc.

I'd be curious to know what manufacturer Porsche uses for their Porsche-branded (obviously, custom-fitted) covers. The one I got, which was officially VW branded (sold through Volkswagen / Coverking: Home ), was made by coverking.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #12

Is it sitting outside between drives or in the garage? I can't see needing one if it's indoors - don't get that at all. One good drive with the top down and the inside is dirty as anything, so I'm not really concerned about a bit of dust.
One thing I learned very quickly is that convertibles get dirty!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
JFP's solution is great if you are parking inside. If you are parking outside, make sure you get something fitted, and that both the car and the paint are very clean before you put it on. You don't want any dirt between the cover and the paint. I have one from California Cover's, I think I paid just under $200, very nice quality.