Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Soft Top Operation

My recently acquired Boxster is my first soft top convertible, and when I first looked at the car, I of course wanted to test the top functions. When putting it down, the owner told me to stop it halfway, so he could properly fold the rear plexi window. He said to never just put the top down, because if you don't put a proper fold down the middle, the plexi could become bent/creased and cause permanent lines, or even crack/split. His routine evidently works, because the plexi is in perfect condition.

The question is, it seems the mechanism would be less stressed in a constant motion, rather than this stopping and starting business, but then I think back to the service position, which essentially does the same thing.

Anyone think it's a bad idea to interrupt the cycle on a regular basis from a mechanical perspective? The car probably leaves the garage twice a month on weekends (and only in perfect weather ), so this isn't a daily routine.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White

Last edited by Seadweller; 03-22-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

it's not really a bad or good idea about stopping it. everyone does, or replaces theri plastic window.
the real problem is snapping calbes and breaking plastic cups....
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #3

I have been doing the same thing since I have owned the car, about 4 years now. I also pace a cloth at the fold so the touching plastic pieces at the fold don't chafe. My plastic window has held up great.
Richardbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

It won't hurt a bit to stop and chop so don't fret!

Two things to consider, well three...
1. clean and lube the top tracks and pivot points with lithium grease, say once a year or so.

2. Learn where your convertible top drains are and make sure they are clean.

3. When you are ready to replace your top, consider one with a glass window. You will no longer have to stop half way and to do the chop!

Enjoy your new car!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote