Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Garage
986 Boxster light switch can not be serviced. I now know why.

I purchased a 2001 Boxster S 118k, good service records, good looking, driving. Done deal. I picked her up Friday and during the drive home I realized my drivers side parking lights and perimiter lights were out. I replaced bulbs, checked fuses. Realized it must be the switch. I decieded to take the switch out and disassemble. Once I got it out, I was really shocked and scared at the sound it made when you shook it. Almost sounded like there was water inside.

I disassembled and there was no water/moisture. But the switch literally fell apart
in my hands.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

My dad got his 2003 Boxster S back on 2012 I think and we had the problem of the lights, and since then i've successfully repaired the switch two times... The only thing i had to do was to spray some contact cleaner and then to seal it up again use some duck tape (which is why i had to repair it two times, because it didn't hold the first time) and now it's been working fine for 3 years.. So yes, it is serviceable!
iscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Damn those German engineers anyway. That is both amazing and frightening at the same time. I think I am going to buy one and keep it in the trunk, so I don't get stranded.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

I've repaired my switch and was amazed at its workings. There are very large stationary electrical contacts inside the switch that make with the rotating, center contacts that are quite small in comparison. I was also surprised how the rotating contact relied on their own contacts for tension.

I cleaned all the contacts and bent the rotating contacts outward a bit to help make a better connection with the stationary contacts. So far (5+ months) so good!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote