Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #1

Unreasonable?

My wife thinks that I am unreasonable when it comes to my rules around driving the Boxster, so I think I need some other opinions.

We purchased the Boxster as a third car with the intention it will only be driven in the Summer for fun driving, dates out etc..

I refuse to drive the car to work b/c I park at a commuter lot which I don't think is safe (My Touareg has a big dent in the hood to confirm that). My wife parks in a garage so I'm OK with her taking it to work on occasion.

My general rule is that she can drive it to work as long as it's nice out (ie not raining) and that she only drives it 3 times a week. I don't want her to stack miles on the car commuting to and from work - Not why we bought it.

Now I'm getting pressure from her to drive it more often regardless of rain etc... She claims, why have the car if you aren't going to drive it. She is doing all kinds of calculations to determine the cost per time we drive it etc.. to prove her point.

I'm holding strong that the car was not intended to be used for commuting. I also have to admit a jealousy issue since she can drive it to work and I can't

So I'm open to opinions - am I being over the top?

Old 05-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
bmussatti

Man, you're in a tough spot, for sure!

I can see both sides of the "argument".

The general rule in our house is if, "Momma is happy, the whole house is happy...and if Momma ain't happy, no one else is either!"

Good thing for me is that my wife does not drive a manual...and is afraid to learn! That makes "Daddy" very happy.

Last edited by bmussatti; 05-16-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #3

Listen to the wife. Boxsters should be driven
Old 05-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #4

Implied in your post is that you consider the Box to be "your baby". If this wasn't the joint understanding going in, I think you're being over the top. I agree with BuffBox, better to have someone drive it, then no one, especially with a shortened convertible season in your neck of the woods.

Clearly the only solution is to obtain a 987 S, which would be "yours" and the current Box can become hers !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Old 05-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
My wife thinks that I am unreasonable when it comes to my rules around driving the Boxster, so I think I need some other opinions.

We purchased the Boxster as a third car with the intention it will only be driven in the Summer for fun driving, dates out etc..

I refuse to drive the car to work b/c I park at a commuter lot which I don't think is safe (My Touareg has a big dent in the hood to confirm that). My wife parks in a garage so I'm OK with her taking it to work on occasion.

My general rule is that she can drive it to work as long as it's nice out (ie not raining) and that she only drives it 3 times a week. I don't want her to stack miles on the car commuting to and from work - Not why we bought it.

Now I'm getting pressure from her to drive it more often regardless of rain etc... She claims, why have the car if you aren't going to drive it. She is doing all kinds of calculations to determine the cost per time we drive it etc.. to prove her point.

I'm holding strong that the car was not intended to be used for commuting. I also have to admit a jealousy issue since she can drive it to work and I can't

Your Boxster is not a lawn ornament!
Drive and enjoy it! life is to short...

:dance:
Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #6

I see where you are coming from but you are definately missing a couple of key points.

First is that the sentances containing "my rules" and "we bought" are mutually exclusive. Either it's my car with my rules or it's our car with our rules.

It sounds to me like you're the one making all the rules and then justifying them to both your wife and yourself. I'd be curious as to your reaction if your wife made a few rules of her own regarding the Boxster. Run my suggested rules by your wife and see if she likes them....

"My general rule is that he can drive it no more than once a week provided I'm not already using it - we didn't buy it for him to drive. He's not allowed to go over 35 mph and I must approve where he's going ahead of time to ensure it's parked appropriately. I'm okay with him occasionally driving over 35 provided I'm with him at the time."

As to putting wear and tear on your car - I agree with your wife. I don't get the people here who put it away or only drive it when it's nice. It's a Boxster not a freaking Enzo (speaking of which I had a black Enzo pass me on Sunday and OMGOD is that a beautiful machine). Does it make sense to use it as a commuter vehicle if you also have an older car (maybe better gas mileage)? Probably not. But I strongly believe she should have a voice in this. Maybe you should sell her other car and let the Boxster be her vehicle. Then.... Buy another one as YOUR Sunday driver...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses so far - there seems to be favor towards my wife's point of view which I can accept.

SD987, the car is actually a 987 S, but I guess I could always buy another one for me.

Keep the comments coming, I'm sure she will enjoy reading this.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #8

Boxster is a depreciating financial asset, Lucrative emotional investment.

I drive mine every day I can.
I wont drive in the pouring rain and wont drive in the snow.

The car will depreciate just sitting in the garage and depreciate faster with miles on it.But I did not buy it as an investment.
I bought a Boxster because it is fun to drive , not because it looks great in my garage.

Enjoy your car and your wife.
Keep the wife happy , she has the greatest capacity to make your days wonderful or miserable.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #9

Hey Burton,
I drive mine all the time now.I try to keep it dry though,that acid rain stuff is scary...lol . Using it for commuting can be expensive so I would take that in to consideration. Around me,you really can't avoid rock chips on the parkway which really stink. Meanwhile, cars are made to be driven,so I feel thats what's best to do. Three times a week seems very generous though. Assuming,the car belongs to the two of you and there are 5 work days in a normal week, then she sounds like a winner to me.You should suggest lowering it to two and see what she sais.Maybee then she'll relize how lucky she is to have three days
Frank
Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #10

DRIVE IT!!! Have fun...just try to minimize any chances of dings in lots. I know this is difficult for you with the train lot and all...but it is a Boxster. Repairs aren't any different than any other car. I drive mine year round here in Chicago...not because I have to...but because I can't stop!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton

Its a car ... its meant to be DRIVEN, not sit around looking pretty.

Your wife is right and pleasing the wife always has its benefits. I would be thankful she likes driving it.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #12

Hmmm you are a better man than me letting the misses drive your baby.

anyhooo this could be settled quiet easily.

get Leland west to insure your Boxster. They have cheap rate (relative to my state) and will only insure you if you drive less than 5,000 miles a year and keep the car garage kept.

This way you can blame the insurance company.

I don't like racking miles up on my car for work realted commutes but after seeing my insurance bill it makes no sense paying for something that's just going to stay parked.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 05-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #13

The Porsche is just a machine and its meant to be driven. It's not a show car. It is depreciating and costing you money just sitting still. So use it and derive some enjoyment for your expense. IMO
Old 05-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #14
PSP

When all is said and done, it is still just a car - a nice car, but still just a car.

....and trust me on this one, it will be cheaper in the long run to get a replacement car than it will to get a replacement wife
Old 05-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to asnigro
If she has a car already, why does she need to drive the Box to work? Putting miles on the car via driving to and from work (especially if she works far from home) is pointless in my opinion. I would say save the Box driving for what you mentioned you bought it for "Summer for fun driving, dates out etc.."

However, if you both paid for this beauty, I guess its as much as her right to drive it as yours. I would assume that you are just kind of upset that she can drive it to work and you cant becuase of the whole garage thing.

Also, I am sick of all this "As long as the wife is happy" talk on this board! I understand some of it is said in jest, but lets be serious! I am not saying "what the man says goes" but I would hope the say around the house is 50-50.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #16

Wink

If it is your car, what is the discussion about? Do you tell her how to drive her car?

If it is her car, she gets to decide.

If you BOTH own it, there is your first mistake!

Remember, divorce costs more than any car.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #17

Drive and enjoy!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #18

Was That Your Tourag?

Sorry. I Guess The Note Was Blown Away.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #19

Beaten into Submission

Ok, you guys have beaten me into submission! I can agree with many of the comments regarding a car is meant to be driven etc.. I think a big part of my problem is the jealousy thing b/c she will end up driving the car alot more than I will.

So I'm going to experiment with an 'open' policy - she can take the car whenever she wants to. Now I can't guarantee that after the first rock chip or door ding the 'open' policy may be revoked, but I'll at least give it a try.

Since I have only had the car for about three months, I'm also hoping my overprotective ways may subside over time.

I guess I'm glad I didn't go for the new 911 (a consideration). I would probably be parking that in the living room so I could drink beers and just look at it. Not much driving would have happened with that car.

Thanks for the input. (my wife enjoyed the read, I'll probably never hear the end of this)

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #20

If you look on the forums for the older models, you'll see the ones that have the most problems are the ones with the lowest miles. Porsches do not like to be driven a little here and there and they don't like to be babied.

Enjoy!

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
Closed Thread