Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
How common are Boxsters in your area?

How often do you guys see Boxsters on the road in the area that you live? I recently headed to San Fransisco for part of the weekend and spotted 3 Boxsters,that more then I have seen in any one day before. Around town in Sacramento I will be lucky if I see two a week. Just wondering how common Boxsters are around the world.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How often do you guys see Boxsters on the road in the area that you live? I recently headed to San Fransisco for part of the weekend and spotted 3 Boxsters,that more then I have seen in any one day before. Around town in Sacramento I will be lucky if I see two a week. Just wondering how common Boxsters are around the world.
Depends on the weather. On a nice weekend in the city it's not unusual to see 3-4. Nice weather weekdays, maybe 1 or 2. Poor weather days I'm pretty much the only one out there....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #3

Strange that you mention it....

Here in the somewhat affluent Chicago suburbs they are not uncommon, on an average day I will see a few.....at least. ESPECIALLY if the weather is nice , and it is a weekend. I actually see more 911's tho.

Last year when I lived on the Big Island of Hawaii, I think I saw a handful the whole time I was there. More older 911's as well.

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #4

There are four Boxsters in my PRD, which only has 55 homes. We also have 3 911s, three Corvettes etc.

This is about typical for SOCAL I think.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #5

Not so Many

I have only seen two other boxsters in the last 3 months. I don't see them very often here.
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #6

Up here in Seattle, they are everywhere. Just in the parking garage at my office building there are at least 6. If I drove through the rest of the parking garages on campus here, I bet that average would continue throughout.

In my neighborhood (only 150 houses), there are 5 that I know of including mine.

It I counted the 911s at home and work, those numbers would be much higher.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #7

Sometimes I think there are only 3 in the entire state. Other times I think I have overestimated that number by two.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt

I live in NYC and I see about 1-3 Boxster a day. Although, I see more Porsche SUV roaming around town.

:dance:
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #9

I see an identical twin boxster every single day. Another black 97 is in my parking lot.

I also see one or two others a week in my neighborhood, which was dumpy and is now becoming very affluent (don't get me started on my property tax hikes!)
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
bmussatti

I see about 2-3 986's in my neighborhood. I have only seen 1 987 in the past few months.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #11

Randall, can't complain about your property tax when you have no state income tax
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #12

I live in Loudoun County, Virginia near Dulles International Airport (South Riding to be exact). I see a Boxster every few days, but I see more Porsche cars of the 911 and Cayenne variety. I usually see the same silver Cayenne and silver 911 about 3 times a week on the morning commute to work in Leesburg.
A few months back a fellow Boxster owner with the top down passed by going the other way. The female passenger recognized another Boxster and thrust her arm up with a thumbs-up salute. Guess we are a friendly bunch.

Regards.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #13

As one would expet, they're very common in Los Angeles (five park just on my level of the parking structure at work).
Last week I was in South Beach (Miami) and was amazed at how many i saw, they were as plentiful as the leggy models strolling. Only thing more surprising was how many had their tops down in 85% humidity. (I'm referring to the car)
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #14

"As one would expet, they're very common in Los Angeles (five park just on my level of the parking structure at work).
Last week I was in South Beach (Miami) and was amazed at how many i saw, they were as plentiful as the leggy models strolling. Only thing more surprising was how many had their tops down in 85% humidity. (I'm referring to the car)"

As a former LAian and current SoCaler, I find it odd that LA has so many convertibles but on a relative basis, so few people drive top-down. Not sure that I could quantify it, but it was enough to notice. Have other LA people noticed this too? I guess it's because of the very real possibility that you can get hit by a stray bullet driving through some parts of town.

SD convertibles definitely favor top-down and I see multiple 986's on a daily basis. 987 sightings are still pretty uncommon and Cayman sightings are an "event". Porsche publicly declares Cayman sales to be strong, but I'm wondering who they're selling'em too cuz I've only seen one on the road in P-crazed SD.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
"As one would expet, they're very common in Los Angeles (five park just on my level of the parking structure at work).
Last week I was in South Beach (Miami) and was amazed at how many i saw, they were as plentiful as the leggy models strolling. Only thing more surprising was how many had their tops down in 85% humidity. (I'm referring to the car)"

As a former LAian and current SoCaler, I find it odd that LA has so many convertibles but on a relative basis, so few people drive top-down. Not sure that I could quantify it, but it was enough to notice. Have other LA people noticed this too? I guess it's because of the very real possibility that you can get hit by a stray bullet driving through some parts of town.

SD convertibles definitely favor top-down and I see multiple 986's on a daily basis. 987 sightings are still pretty uncommon and Cayman sightings are an "event". Porsche publicly declares Cayman sales to be strong, but I'm wondering who they're selling'em too cuz I've only seen one on the road in P-crazed SD.

I agree with you man, I'm here from the Silicon Valley, and perfect weather not too hot, not too cold, but rarely see people with the top down weird!! maybe they dont have the smarttop,LOLOL
With the price of a loaded Cayman you can buy a base 997 or a used 911turbo..
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2004 Cayenne Turbo (GIAC 2X, Fabspeed bypass pipes, KN Filters)
2005 Cayenne S
2003 Audi A4 Quattro
1983 911 CAB
2001 TRD/SC4Runner
1988 Supra Turbo(1st Car)
alex911s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Yeah, same here--I see them all over the place down here, it's a non-event. 987's are still a little more rare--I see maybe one a week. Hardly any Caymans at all other than at the dealership.

I know that the finance manager down at the Honda dealership on Convoy St. has a black Cayman. He's paying like $1700 a month for it...
Old 05-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #17

On a sunny day in DC, I will usually see around 2 to 3 boxsters with a couple of hours. It seems to be the roadster of choice in DC. As for Northern Virginia on a sunny day , 2 or 3 boxsters, 3 to 4 911's and the Spice SUV everywhere the eye can see.
05' 987 Basalt Black Sold
http://photos.imageevent.com/rainand...s/DSC04327.JPG
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #18

To and from work my drive includes the PCH between Santa Monica and Mailbu and either Malibu Canyon Rd or Topaga Canyon Rd, all of which are roads traveled by some very wealthy people. As far as I can remember, seeing how I wasn't really counting, this morning I saw a least six 986's and two 987's, two 997's, one 996, one Ferrari 348, one Bentley Continental, one Hummer H2, mybe three Hummer H3's, one new M5, one E55, one CLS55, a couple SLK's and... well, anyhow, you get the picture and I'm to tired to think any more.

Maybe what I might do one day is try and take a picture, either with my camera or my phone, of all the "exotic" cars I see in one day. Then again that could be dangerous... driving and taking pictures.
smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #19

5- 10 a day here in Atlanta...

Still only 1 987 every 2nd or 3rd day though...seems the production and sales volumes are significantly lower than the 986 models.

About half have the top down, at least this time of the year.
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #20

I'm in orange county. Everyday while I commute to work I see 1 parked near my office. So far, I've seen 2 on the freeway; we'll usually end up cruising together until I exit the offramp. Also, a couple 911's on the freeway so far. I've only seen 2 Caymans, one of which where the driver and I waved at each other in respect to each others interest in such a fine looking car.

ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote