Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #1

Cayman RS

Anyone see this article? I wonder if there is any truth to it, sounds pretty cool.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/15/porsche-cayman-rs-in-the-works/

drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #2

Hi,

I didn't see that article per se, but have seen a similar one. Lots of speculation, so we'll see.

The one thing about all such articles is their proposition that Porsche must keep Gelding both the Boxster and the Cayman if it is their intention to keep the 911 at the Top of the Food Chain. Something which I for one don't necessarily take for granted.

Perhaps we are in a period where Porsche is gently nudging the 911 aside. I suspect that if this is true, they have a very long-term plan to make these models more attractive over time and so incrementally garner more of the 911 Market Share. Once a Critical Mass is reached, they discontinue the 911 line. This might take a decade or more.

Such a strategy would make sense in that it doesn't immediately cut-off what for Porsche, has become an annuity. All the while building strength in these other Models. It stands to reason that the 911 cannot go on indefinitely and retain it's position by continually massaging a 40 year old design. And, it's poor business practice to have all of own's eggs in a single basket...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-15-2006 at 07:12 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #3

Interesting read. They speculate about the car and whether it will be a Clubsport or RS but apparently have managed to take a picture of the car, clearly labeled RS. That leads one to believe it's been photoshopped, in which case they might want to mention that...

But whatever it looks like, one can easily envision the Porsche engineers testing the car and after a particularly fast and sub-911 time, turning to each other and saying "Ve must make it slower !". Only, Porsche....

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #4

Why not?? With a bit wider track and the 3.8 with coil-overs from the factory and GT3 seats (as an option). 400HP and light it would be able to keep up with the Z06 and would fit into the same GT class. That is how they could create racing lineage in witch Porsche has always been proud of.

I do not wish death for the 911 but just pointing out that Porsche does now have a better platform.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #5

I don't see the 911 going anywhere.

I do see Porsche madly trying to figure out how to get more HP out of this flat six design w/o turbo. Personally, I think they need a 400 HP base 911. to be competitive in the HP wars.

I also think they need to step up and run GT1 in the AMLS. Head to head with the C6R would be plenty fun to watch.

This leaves plenty of room for a 330 HP Cayman and Boxster.

I see no logic for the Box having a smaller engine than the Cayman.

Porsche management bites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote