Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I guess maybe its just my perception then, plus if police decide to shoot, they will likely hit what they are aiming for and I assume its the upper torso and will keep shooting till the threat is subdued? (Mortally wounded due to good aim=dead?).
When I hear people say this I think about two recent shooting shootings in NYC, one in Herald Square and another in Times Square more recently where the NYPD ended up shooting more bystanders than suspects. Even those trained week in and week out to deal with a pressure situation can't hit a moving target when the adrenaline is pumping.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #42
Crib

Garage
Be it that i'm from a country with quite strict gun laws, but I must admit I find it a bit scary to think of the situation where practically everyone has one or several guns and where also the "normal" people needs to be prepared to use it should such a situation be forced upon you. That thought tastes like pure **************** to me..

It must mean that the threshold of getting your hands on a gun is lowered to the ordinary junkie. I mean the criminals will get their hands on weapons either way but I can't help to think that they will be more likely to be used in a more planned way such as a heist or "internal" gang fights etc with less regular folks being involved.

It's not paradise over here, not at all. We have daily murders around the country and a school massacre attempt a while ago, but I still dont feel the immediate and surrounding danger that I sense when reading your comments.

Maybe I'm overreading this and as I said, It's different everywhere and ones viewpoint is of course strongly affected by that.

Edit: Forgot what I meant to start with: My deepest sympathies to OP for being victim to this!

Last edited by Crib; 03-07-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #43

Bad news

Sorry to hear about this Tim. If I can do anything let me know. As you know I am a CCW holder but I rarely carry. My handgun is like yours under the bed in a small pushbutton safe.

Hope you are on the mend and we can get out shooting soon.

Mike.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #44

I agree about acupuncture; I have a similarly placed injury and it helped. But the "cupping" she did was probably the important part. Also Reflexology and Hellerwork gave relief.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #45

This could have been so much worse, honestly as bad as it is be happy they only took some items and didn't cause any more major harm. If they were desperate enough to rob you they are clearly in a much worse place than any of us.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
When I hear people say this I think about two recent shooting shootings in NYC, one in Herald Square and another in Times Square more recently where the NYPD ended up shooting more bystanders than suspects. Even those trained week in and week out to deal with a pressure situation can't hit a moving target when the adrenaline is pumping.
So true. Police Officers are well trained and have a 15-25 percent hit probability in street encounters when they fire their guns. It is one thing to shoot a paper target in a sterile environment. It is another to have an armed suspect firing at you and returning fire.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #47

IG's dont make good watch dogs. Mine were always under blankets and asleep. Hope the knee feels better soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #48

Value of taken property

While there is no material thing in my home I would take a human life for I really think most are over simplifying this. It is not the property stolen, it is the unabashed intrusion into your home and safe space that would make me use deadly force...not the things they could steal. I would defiantly yell "Get the hell down on the ground" first and loudly ...if they ran I would not shoot, if they took one step in my direction or went for pockets.....they would never be a repeat offender
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #49

Wow, that's pretty scary! Something I'm sure we all fear a bit. Home invasion is no joke.

That's one nice thing about Texas! Not that taking a life is something to glorify, but when it's life and death, you don't want to be thwarted by the "what if" of the legalities. Texas seems to take care of people defending their homes, and property. Makes me re-think my "storage" situation though. Mine's under the bed (since I'm most vulnerable when asleep), but thinking I need something more "available".

This thread actually made me stop and think what I would do in that situation... as one guy said, one step in my direction, or any loss of visuals with hands and he's gonna be put down. If he's outside the house or fleeing, it's a call to the fuzz. Albeit they're slow, if the guy's on foot, he'll get caught.

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote