Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #1

Question Repair Inquiry

I own a 2002 Porsche Boxster S. It is in good condition with only 35,000 miles. It has the original IMS bearing, which has caused me some concern.

I want to know if, given the age of the car, should I go to the expense of having the IMS bearing replaced. If so, what should that cost be if done by a Porsche dealer?

If I go through having the IMS bearing replaced, what other work should I do at that time (new clutch, new rear main seal, etc.) and what cost should I expect?

TIA.

boxster03rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster03rdr View Post
I own a 2002 Porsche Boxster S. It is in good condition with only 35,000 miles. It has the original IMS bearing, which has caused me some concern.

I want to know if, given the age of the car, should I go to the expense of having the IMS bearing replaced. If so, what should that cost be if done by a Porsche dealer?

If I go through having the IMS bearing replaced, what other work should I do at that time (new clutch, new rear main seal, etc.) and what cost should I expect?

TIA.
At 35,000 I would have the IMS corrected. What would it cost at a Porsche dealer? A ****************load. Find a good Porsche indy in your area. Do some research.

Yes... get the "while you're in there" stuff done... if your new indy so says.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster03rdr View Post
... It has the original IMS bearing, which has caused me some concern.... .
If it causes you concern, replace it. Worrying about the engine failing every time you drive it is no way to enjoy a fine sports car.
Prices will vary widely depending on your location and choices of replacement. Get a quote from a reputable shop or two in your area.
Beyond that, search the forum for the thousands of times that it has been discussed.
Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A986forum.com+IMS+bearing+replaceme nt+which+LN
Old 10-27-2023, 03:56 AM   #4
PLP

I do not know...
Mine has 115k miles. Not sure if the IMS was replaced.
Previous owner says the owner before said IMS was done, but there is no proof, so I assume it was not.

And I keep driving it. I enjoy it and frequently let the baby spin all the way to 7k. Keep the bearing lubricated. lol

Yes, at some point, as I feel the clutch could be better, I will address it...

So, I am not saying do not do that. I am saying, as 78F350, address things that keep you awake at night and do not allow you to enjoy the car.

I did full suspension rebuilt with refreshing wheels and new tires. Plus some small electrical (windows switches) issues that were annoying. A few more left.

IMS is on the list, but not a priority... Yes, it makes me nervous a bit, yet I am like - nah, it must be fine since we clocked 115k miles.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:03 PM   #5

What do you know of the car's history? Particularly the way it was driven, the frequency of oil changes, did it hibernate over the winter?

Was oil changed on at least an annual basis?

Have you inspected the removed oil filter after a change?
Old 10-29-2023, 10:28 AM   #6

My Indy Porsche mechanic believes (from his 35 yrs of experience with Porsche) that IF it hasn't failed in 70,000 miles just leave it alone! Says in all of his years experience he's only seen ONE bearing failure.

Just relaying what I've been told. (btw, my 1998 Boxster with 92,000 miles has the original bearing)
Old 10-29-2023, 05:03 PM   #7
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
My Indy Porsche mechanic believes (from his 35 yrs of experience with Porsche) that IF it hasn't failed in 70,000 miles just leave it alone! Says in all of his years experience he's only seen ONE bearing failure.

Just relaying what I've been told. (btw, my 1998 Boxster with 92,000 miles has the original bearing)
Your is a dual row... which is good. Well, better than single.

Mine, 2003, 2.7, with 115k miles - IMS history unsure.

What failure he see and when it took place (age, miles, MY, engine...)?

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing , ims , mechanic