Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 06:42 AM   #1

it's fixed... softop rescue.

I did a full top removal.
replaced the drain trays (w mine patched w/ Silicone 2 Black).
updated top transmissions, hold down cables, motor cables, boomarang arms, hydrolic rods, push rods, and plastic cups (cups new).
(found I had to take a few steps back and swap boomarang arms left to right (not interchangeable)).

a little adjustment, and presto chango, she's fixed...

please note all 6 top transmission standoff bolts were finger tight or looser in car under drip tray, in my car the mounts were torn free of body, welding to fix it...

Scott and Becky are stoked

Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #2

Very good work! Now you can enjoy your car knowing the mechanism is in great shape and if you have a problem down the road you know exactly where to look!

Over the last five years I've replaced a couple of top/frame assemblies on a couple of 98 base cars along with a new soft top on my car. I've also replace pivot cups, and cables and done the cam timing to sync things back up.

I've come away impressed with how simple and elegant the top mechanics really are. If you don't agree, just compare to a BMW or Mercedes, with their combination of electrics and hydraulics and be thankful all we have is a small motor, a couple cables, gears and switches...
Piece of cake!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote