Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #1

where is the exotic paint jobs for porsche's

don't take me wrong I'm not for or against a wild paint job. i will be painting my Porsche soon and having been looking for idea and nothing really pops up for image searches for custom, exotic or wild/crazy paint jobs on porches.

I was thinking about getting a little bold with mine but I'm thinking I'll stick out like sore thumb among Porsche's lol I'm assuming its because its a mature sports car that purist's just don't dare mess with ? I say this cuz my son and I have created a really cool paint job for the Porsche on his need for speed game that would look really neat on my boxster lolololol

just thinking out loud guys. any thoughts?

compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #2

Garage
If you mean exotic in the Honda civic street racing sense then, no there aren't many out there that look like this and I do feel it is because porsche is a more mature purist owned brand. 16 year olds can afford to put decals and a fart can muffler on their 91 del sol, but maintaining a Porsche probably isn't in that budget.

If you meant exotic in the Porsche color wheel, check out Mexico blue or signal green. There was also the orange color that was featured on the 08 special edition boxster. I love Mexico blue myself.

In the end it's your car, do with it what you will. But don't be surprised if many porsche owners think it's loud and tacky.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
What do you have in mind?

Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #4

If I had to do something wild I would do a porsche racing inspired theme, nor the fast and furious or the hot rod flames are a good fit for a porsche, the only porsche that I ever seen with flames and looked good was a satin black outlaw 356 speedster
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
If you mean exotic in the Honda civic street racing sense then, no there aren't many out there that look like this and I do feel it is because porsche is a more mature purist owned brand. 16 year olds can afford to put decals and a fart can muffler on their 91 del sol, but maintaining a Porsche probably isn't in that budget.

If you meant exotic in the Porsche color wheel, check out Mexico blue or signal green. There was also the orange color that was featured on the 08 special edition boxster. I love Mexico blue myself.

In the end it's your car, do with it what you will. But don't be surprised if many porsche owners think it's loud and tacky.
no not the tuner scene. i just mean like lambos can be seen in many neat colors, vettes, ferraris.. well no not those, red, black and yellow and that's about it lol. i do see how there a more mature sports car but it would be nice to see some creativity.

as far as porsche community purists... ya i learned in my first post on this forum that porsche guys like there porsche untouched lol its a sin to rock the boat here ... i get it lol i just figured most were over 60yrs old here lololol dont get mad guys just giving ya a hard time about your tudes with porsches

as far as what i meant color wise... candy metallic green looks great on the old muscle cars. lambo orange is a beautiful color and looks good on any car etc. i just dont see anything that catches the eye on porsches. i just bought silver metallic for my porsche but was thinking.. just thinking about maybe switching it up for something a little more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
What do you have in mind?

lolololololol not at all what i meant lol the horns rock though lol
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
If I had to do something wild I would do a porsche racing inspired theme, nor the fast and furious or the hot rod flames are a good fit for a porsche, the only porsche that I ever seen with flames and looked good was a satin black outlaw 356 speedster

ya something subtle is more along what i was thinking. maybe a non stock color lol with ghosting or some off color accents. just thinking out loud.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

i just read a thread on here about a guy who posted up pics of his 20' wheel and a "poke and stick" something... man this forum tore him up i mentioned a motor swap when i first joined and i thought i was going to get banned lol

say it with me... change is ok to each their own.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

not saying i would paint my porsche this color but it would be interesting to see. just kind of what i meant by my first post.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
not saying i would paint my porsche this color but it would be interesting to see. just kind of what i meant by my first post.
I saw a 987 in front of Petco earlier this week that was a very similar color to that. Perhaps slightly less copper and more brown. But striking and not something you see every day.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
I saw a 987 in front of Petco earlier this week that was a very similar color to that. Perhaps slightly less copper and more brown. But striking and not something you see every day.
i had a Colorado that was burnt copper and looked pretty sharp. i think a copper genre might look nice on a boxster.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #11

Well if you want to be different here are a couple unique colors

Thunder blue metallic:

Spice orange (similar to what you posted above):

Laguna seca blue:

Phoenix yellow:

Blue turqoise:

Riviera blue:

Rosso dino:

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I like the Lava Orange that is on a small number of new cars. It is a very bold color. The other 'out there' livery I like is from the '84 Rothmans 953's that won Paris-Dakar that year. Two tone paint with stripes.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
i just read a thread on here about a guy who posted up pics of his 20' wheel and a "poke and stick" something... man this forum tore him up i mentioned a motor swap when i first joined and i thought i was going to get banned lol

say it with me... change is ok to each their own.
meh. I got called a hairdresser for considering a Porsche 'clubsport' logo on my car as it is pretty much a track whore at this point. apparently the new gt4 clubsport is for sissies. here is a thread that looks at an 'outlaw' approach to boxster paint:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54708-silver-car-red-hood.html

and some of the recent special edition porsches have the ghosting thing happening with stripes and logos:

if you don't want to do permanent, here's a fun place to look for some race-inspired vinyl ...

https://magnagrafik.com/WholeCatalogue.pdf

and here are the sport edition colours available on caymans a few years back ...

Last edited by The Radium King; 02-05-2016 at 08:37 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #14

good pics, thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #15

Garage
Love the Mexico blue.

For my silver 986, I really want to ghost the 986 on the rear trunk. Not sure who to see about this or exactly what I want, but it is in my project list.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #16

Hmmm... not sure where all the exotic colored cars are either.

My 2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #5 of 250 in GT3 Orange

My 2008 Cayman S Sport in Signal Green (with Hans Peter Porsche standing next to it at 2014 Porsche Parade)

2007 Cayman S in Carmen Red (sold this car when I bought my CSS)

Exotic colors are out there, you just have to look for them.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-05-2016 at 01:11 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #17

I thought of you when I put up that pic of the caymans. love those colours. science says that the human eye sees bright colours as moving faster than they really are - good for impressing girls, bad for attracting law enforcement.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #18

[QUOTE=husker boxster;482807]Hmmm... not sure where all the exotic colored cars are either.

My 2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #5 of 250 in GT3 Orange

I love this colour!! Every time I see a pic of your ride, I wonder how much it would cost to paint mine!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #19

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

This
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #20

^ sweet. Tasteful