986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   what is this wire??? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/6034-what-wire.html)

porschegeorg 05-11-2006 04:18 AM

what is this wire???

Okay...I just got my 2003 Boxster home and was waxing it last night. While waxing the front bumper, my hand felt something in the passenger side air dam of the bumper (sorry...that's the best I can describe the location). When I looked at what I was touching, it was a wire of some sort. I can't even tell what was attached to the end of the wire, other than it looked like a sensor. This wire just seems to dangle behind the bumper.

Does anyone have an idea what this is????

Thanks for the help!
Georg

Patto 05-11-2006 04:24 AM

My guess is it's the ambient outside temperature sensor.

98Boxster98 05-11-2006 04:27 AM

Hi Georg:

Does it look like this, the outside air temperature probe? [picture source: http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/index.html ] If so, you should see a hole in the air dam opening slat (I can't think of a better description; it early in the morning, still drinking first cup of coffee) that normally holds the probe in place, rather than dangle.

porschegeorg 05-11-2006 04:35 AM

AWSOME!!! YES that is it!!!!! So I just need to push the sensor back into the hole I guess.

THANK YOU 98Boxster98 and Patto!!! This site has some terrific folks!!!!
Georg

Onad 05-11-2006 06:50 AM

I have an '03 without the on-board computer/temp display and I have the same wire. Great example of how much effort it would take for all Porsche's to display the outside temp. All the cars are pre-wired for it out of the factory.

Wintermute 05-11-2006 07:37 AM

Well that would work from 1997-2000 because they OBC had it's own display then. From 2001 on the OBC shares it's display with the trip odometer below the tach. So the only way to display the OBC functions is to have something to switch the display (hence the factory stalk or the switch hack).

However I personally think they should just have the OBC standard (hell all the software and sensors are already in the damn car :P)

porschegeorg 05-11-2006 07:50 AM

My 03 doesnt have the computer either. Man...is there anyway to get that OBC software burned in the computer?

MNBoxster 05-11-2006 09:37 AM

Hi,

You can have a Dealer use their PST2 Box to activate the Ambient Temp function and it will display. Some charge for this, but others will include it with other service.

The Stalk installation is very straightforward and you can accomplish it in about 30 min. The OBC Stalk is actually screwed onto the 3-Stalk Combo Switch. I purchased a 4-Stalk Combo from LA Porsche Dismantlers for $100 (after some haggling). I then removed the OBC Stalk by unscrewing it and sold the remaining parts on ebay for slightly more than $100, so I got the OBC Stalk for free. About $8 worth of VW Patch Cables for the Instrument Display and you're good to go. I also have a hack where some owners have just used the Toggle Switches (such as Covt' Top/Windows/PSM, etc.), rather than the traditional Stalk to switch the display and placed it in the Binnacle by removing one of the Blanking Plugs - cost about $30 for the Switch. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Wintermute 05-11-2006 06:36 PM

No, the outside temp will NOT display on a 2001+ models if you ONLY use the PST2 tool to enable the OBC. This is because the default display for the tach is the odometer and trip odometer. You can only see the outside temp and the other options if you have something to cycle through them. Check out this page for info on the different between OBC model years as well as pictures of a pre 2001 and post 2001 instruement cluster.

Also, from 2002 on, the OBC was changed to become more sophisticated (as shown in the link above) so doing the OBC hack afterwards will only get you the 2001 style OBC. I want to do this to my 2002 S anyway, just because I really want those functions.

That aside, can you post exactly what parts you needed to do this and how you installed it? All I've ever been able to find is "here's how to do it real easy with the switch...or you can install the stalk which is very complicated and hard." But if it is really only 30 min. than I'm so doing it!

98Boxster98 05-11-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wintermute
That aside, can you post exactly what parts you needed to do this and how you installed it? All I've ever been able to find is "here's how to do it real easy with the switch...or you can install the stalk which is very complicated and hard." But if it is really only 30 min. than I'm so doing it!

Suncoast Porsche has apparently put together a kit to do this mod:

Suncoast OBC Mod Discussion on Another Board

Rail26 05-13-2006 11:13 AM

Yes it does. I personally take responsibility for all the good dudes on this forum. Without my leadership and guidance this place would be a mess. Your welcome. Three cheers for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschegeorg
AWSOME!!! YES that is it!!!!! So I just need to push the sensor back into the hole I guess.

THANK YOU 98Boxster98 and Patto!!! This site has some terrific folks!!!!
Georg