Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2023, 02:08 PM   #1

Trying to Put Top Back in Automatic Operation

1997 Boxster.

I am trying to troubleshoot and repair my automatic top operation. The top is off of the car for installation of a replacement top. After a harrowing experience of breaking the plastic ball joint caps on both sides causing the clamshell to be locked in the down position. I have managed to take the clamshell struts and push rods off of both sides freeing up the top and clamshell for manual operation. I have patched a couple of holes in the drip pan with silicone caulking which seems to have worked very well. The transmissions work and rotate in both directions. I have checked to see that they are coordinated re. timing. I connected the struts with the ball joint and clip to the arms of the clamshell and operated the dash switch/motor which closed the clamshell but the motors did not disconnect when the clamshell closed. I would have thought the microswitch on top of the drive cable motor at the rear, under the clamshell would have cut power to the transmissions when the clamshell was seated but it did not. As I continued down with the clamshell, Things got a bit seized up again and I had to remove the clips from the clamshell arms and persuade, via hammer and punch, the pin to exit the clamshell brackets and free up the clamshell. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Maybe I need to install the top so the B pillar microswitch (A type) is in place if that is the one that signals the transmissions to stop when top is up.

Advise needed on how to proceed with this effort.

Thanks,,

WillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #2

Sounds like the driver side microswitch

I just had to replace the passenger side convertible top cable (broke while the top was up).

I did the same procedure of pulling the clips off the clamshell dampers so I could lift off the clamshell. then popped off the ball joints to open up the passenger transmission and replace the cable.

Mine went back on with no issues, (I just had to get the sides aligned) and then worked no problem.

All of this is to say: It makes me think you're right and something is off with the microswitch alignment.

This is a wiring diagram for a 2002 which shows how it all connects up that might be helpful.

http://www.richard-hamilton.co.uk/misc/porsche/2002BoxsterCabrioWD.pdf
brachunok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #3

You need to reinstall your top and frame to really get everything working again. The clamshell has no limit switches so its pretty dumb when working on its own. I wish I could provide detail but even though I've done a few tops, its been years since the last. I will say this...once you get it all together your realize own elegantly simple it all is. Don't fret it and don't overthink it!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic top , clamshell , top transmissions