986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Change cooling fan temperature switch points (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/60202-change-cooling-fan-temperature-switch-points.html)

Bernithebest 01-19-2016 06:33 PM

Change cooling fan temperature switch points

I see a lot of discussion about managing engine temperatures. To me it seems that many issues would be resolved if the fans would just kick in a little earlier. 160 degree thermostats is no help in stop and go traffic if the fans kick in at the same high temperature.
Has anyone tried to change the fan switch points in the engine controller - DME?
Seems like this should be no more difficult than changing the redline rmp etc.

spongebob 01-24-2016 04:46 AM

I have asked the same here before without success. I guess the solution is to re- program the computer. Noticed that with AC on, engine temp is generally lower when driving at lower speed due to the fans in low speed. Not perfect but helps a bit.

Chuck W. 01-24-2016 06:36 AM

I think a better way would be to have a manual switch to activate the fan.

Take a look at post number two by Qmulus in the below thread. I have considering doing this numerous times..... if I could only identify where to "In a convenient place cut the yellow/gray wire from DME to the high speed fan relays".

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/56306-manual-radiator-fan.html

lkchris 01-24-2016 06:53 AM

What issues?

Solutions looking for problems seems to me.

thstone 01-24-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 481282)
What issues? Solutions looking for problems seems to me.

The perceived issue is that the ECU allows the temp to get too high before turning on the radiator fans. Heat is the enemy. Higher temps = reduced oil performance = greater engine wear = shorter engine life. At least that is the theory and concern. As the OP stated, he would like to be able to change the temp setting or have a way to manually engage the fans at a lower temp.

To the best of my knowledge, the temp settings can't be reprogrammed in the ECU. Thus, others have installed a manual switch.

I am testing out a manual switch for the engine bay fan (passenger side rear fender) this afternoon and if it works, I'll post up the details for that one.

thstone 01-24-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck W. (Post 481278)
I have considering doing this numerous times..... if I could only identify where to "In a convenient place cut the yellow/gray wire from DME to the high speed fan relays".

I would do this under the dash where the relays are located. Just find the trigger wire going to the relay and then back up and find a good place in the wire harness to splice in.

jaykay 01-24-2016 10:28 AM

Nice mod......really want this for dealing with being stuck in traffic .....I imagine having having the fans running while moving at speed would improve cooling air flow as well.

Anybody have a idea which stock switch might give a SPST configuration? Maybe wiring diagrams show this. It would be nice to package this switch in the batwing andlook stock.....maybe a repurposed seat heater switch

particlewave 01-24-2016 11:17 AM

Jay - the OEM switches are all momentary, meaning only active while being pressed. You'd have to hold it. :)
That, or get a bit more complex with the setup.

jaykay 01-24-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 481315)
Jay - the OEM switches are all momentary, meaning only active while being pressed. You'd have to hold it. :)
That, or get a bit more complex with the setup.

Ugh....a latching relay set-up. I guess I am going to end up with a row of toggles.......which I quite like. Un fortunately they don't fit well with the style of the interior.

Meir 01-24-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 481317)
Ugh....a latching relay set-up. I guess I am going to end up with a row of toggles.......which I quite like. Un fortunately they don't fit well with the style of the interior.

Or, you can use a step relay.

Meir 01-24-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck W. (Post 481278)
I think a better way would be to have a manual switch to activate the fan.

Take a look at post number two by Qmulus in the below thread. I have considering doing this numerous times..... if I could only identify where to "In a convenient place cut the yellow/gray wire from DME to the high speed fan relays".

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/56306-manual-radiator-fan.html

If you are looking for more "fan power" why not jumper the low speed relay wires with the high speed relay? in that case, the fans will always kick in on high.

jb92563 01-24-2016 08:44 PM

Has anyone considered the OBDII connector and sending the right signal to the computer.

The Durametric units can turn the fans on and off and set the fan speed. Perhaps this is another OBDII Arduino Hack candidate.

jacabean 01-25-2016 03:33 PM

just turn your ac on . thats what i do in the heat and traffic .

jaykay 08-21-2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 481317)

Have any found a schematic of the seat heater switches? I would like to be able to use it to activate the radiator fans with one position and the engine bay with the other. One switch to do both functions.

jaykay 08-21-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 481376)
If you are looking for more "fan power" why not jumper the low speed relay wires with the high speed relay? in that case, the fans will always kick in on high.

So doing this would negate the need for installing manual switches as triggering the Ac on will now put the fans on high right of the bat? I can't picture the jumper arrangement as yet or downsides......it's late though!

jaykay 08-21-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 481374)
Or, you can use a step relay.

I am not familiar with these but perhaps this would have the added capability of running the engine compartment fan as well.....less relays

maytag 08-21-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 623029)
Have any found a schematic of the seat heater switches? I would like to be able to use it to activate the radiator fans with one position and the engine bay with the other. One switch to do both functions.

I installed a very simple 4- channel remote / relay setup, with a 4- button key fob. Button A toggles my exhaust bypass valves. Button B is blank. C toggles the engine bay purge fan. Button D toggles the high speed radiator fans. When C and D are toggled "off" they work per OEM.

I did this because my car sees a lot of track time in 95d+ ambient temperatures.

I'll admit that I think i need some indicator LED's somewhere since I can't always hear when they're on, if the engine is running.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jaykay 08-22-2020 08:49 AM

Sounds like a great set up any details on the equipment you used? I have seen many remote exhaust valve actuators but not any remote controlled contacts

maytag 08-22-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 623046)
Sounds like a great set up any details on the equipment you used? I have seen many remote exhaust valve actuators but not any remote controlled contacts

This is the one I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTYGJHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kxyqFbH272GHH

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk