Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #1

Question Help make my base 2001 look like a 2000newerthanthat!

Whats up box heads. I'm relatively new to the forum ( and box ownership) I have seen many suggestions peppered throughtout other threads about small yet effective ways to update your outdated 986. Just thought I would start a thread to keep them all together! Thanks for the good insight you guys are usually very well informed. Except for Jim who apparently can't swim if it were raining or something. Just Joking... some of you guys are hard on each other, anyway thanks for all your advice fellas!

Scott T

Gulf Shores, AL

ScottT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #2

you may want to consider the possibility of leaving it stock.

sure its easy enough to change bumbers, lights and side vents to get the 2003-2004 look. if you wanna go all the way you can change the top so you have the glass rear window.

now consider leaving it stock. it costs nothing. thats a plus. now imagine its ten years from now and you are selling it. wouldnt it be worth more if its completely original. ok, lets say you arent gonna keep it that long. what if the next guy that buys your car even a year from now is a porsche nut like me. i would walk up to your car and be like wait what year is this im confused. i would probably pass for an all original car.

Even if you make it look like a 2004, whats the point when there is already a new body out 987. besides every porsche is a classsic just the way it is.

you could easily spend 3k and up to begin making it look like a 2004. the way boxster prices are you could probably trade your 01 for an 03 and spend about the same in trade difference. then you would have the real improvements and it would be original.

i hope you dont take offense to me telling what a great car you have just the way it is.

i have owned a 99 and now a 2003 boxster. i loved them both.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #3

Depending on where you start, I always think the Wheels are a critical element in how good a Box looks. So, if you have the 17" base wheels, you may do well to look at moving to a nice set of 18 inchers.

The upside is that Porsche makes some gorgeous wheels for the Box. The downside is that they are pretty pricey.

Just a thought!

If you go to my website and look at the 2003 911 cab, you will see my fav Porsche wheel.

Good luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #4

nice indeed!

never thought I'd say this but a 911 Cab is on my maybe list strictly from a resale perspective. A 911 Cab with my Boxster's wheels looks like a flawless transition
I saw a red 02-04(?) C4s Coupe on the highway the other day and fell in love with the bigger hips. Probably the nicest 911 ever made me thinks. I would hate to part with a convertible but that car will hold some value, its gotta become a classic.

Bruce's for sale 911 Cab
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #5

Scott, I have a 1997 and I have done the following mods to it so far, which makes it look far younger, something around 2002:

3 spoke wheel and airbag
5 speed shift knob out of a 2000 base 996
Techart silver gauge faces and aluminum trim rings
clear side markers
litronics and clear corners
red and clear tail lamps
rear storage box with speakers
8-way seats out of a 2002 996

I'd say I've dropped nearly 5k into these mods and I doubt I'd get a penny on the dollar for them when selling the car. But I didn't do it for the sake of resale, I did it because I liked all these features in the newer ones and couldn't afford a $35k Boxster, so I took a $15k boxster and put this into it plus about $4k in repairs over the course of the last two years.

Have I sunk far too much into my old car? Yes! Do I care? No!

I plan to keep this car for a long, long time. Short of outright winning a new boxster (which I attempt to do once a year in a raffle) I have no plans to sell it. So why not fix it up the way I like and enjoy it?

I'll put 18 inch Carreras on it (regardless of the warnings one reads here and there) and have it torn down and repainted one day. I'm also planning to bolt a supercharger on to it.

I guess it all comes down to how long you plan to keep the car and how dedicated you are to owning an aging Porsche with all its expensive repairs and maintenance costs. If this is just "your next car" then don't do a stinking thing to it because you'll be tired of it in a couple of years and sell it, wasting a lot of money on updates.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #6

Thanks.

I love the interior on your Box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
nice indeed!

never thought I'd say this but a 911 Cab is on my maybe list strictly from a resale perspective. A 911 Cab with my Boxster's wheels looks like a flawless transition
I saw a red 02-04(?) C4s Coupe on the highway the other day and fell in love with the bigger hips. Probably the nicest 911 ever made me thinks. I would hate to part with a convertible but that car will hold some value, its gotta become a classic.

Bruce's for sale 911 Cab

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the replys fellas... and I think your right I like this box just the way it is. And for me (without insulting any of you) it is just my next ride. I love the new Cayman and I wish there would be a drop top option. until then I'll be boxin' all around town and lovin it!
ScottT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #8

I hope nobody who has updated their porsche takes offense to my post. i like what Randall has done to his 97 and i really, really like perfect laps red gt3 seats. i have nothing against updating headlights and anything else. the updates definately make the car look cooler. i just wanted to be devils advocate and point out that all boxsters look cool. unless they have 16's sorry if that offended anyone. so what im trying to say is even boxsters with scratched up plastic rear windows, amber turn signals, no glove boxes, 4 point steering wheels, and no cupholders are still real %$#@&! cool.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #9

hi randell,

could you show me some pictures of your boxster? would love to see it...

thanks
ivan
ivan loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallygottaporsche
I hope nobody who has updated their porsche takes offense to my post. i like what Randall has done to his 97 and i really, really like perfect laps red gt3 seats. i have nothing against updating headlights and anything else. the updates definately make the car look cooler. i just wanted to be devils advocate and point out that all boxsters look cool. unless they have 16's sorry if that offended anyone. so what im trying to say is even boxsters with scratched up plastic rear windows, amber turn signals, no glove boxes, 4 point steering wheels, and no cupholders are still real %$#@&! cool.
No offense taken, to each his own, I am putting the 03 Side vents in my car because I think they look much better but I like my 01 S's bumpers just fine.
I was lucky enough to get a car with Litronics so I had to deamberize.
Other than that some 18" wheels are in my future.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottT
I love the new Cayman and I wish there would be a drop top option.
There is, its called the Boxster :dance:
The day they make a Caymen Cab and price it 10K more AND people actually buy it, I would laugh my @$$ off at the Porsche dealer floor.

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote