986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Paint Job (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/60159-paint-job.html)

eomak 01-16-2016 04:09 PM

Paint Job

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all and thanks for tips/answers from u guys. This forum has been great over the years and very help full on these Boxster's.I just had my Rocker side panels painted. The paint job a A+ in quality. But i think its a shade lighter looking at it on some angels. I was aware this could happen without blending to save $ and did the install myself. Can you guys see a major color difference?

VGM911 01-16-2016 04:11 PM

I don't see any picture attached.

eomak 01-16-2016 04:13 PM

Notice it. not sure it uploads the picture but nothing is happening

eomak 01-16-2016 04:21 PM

/////////////////////////////////

VGM911 01-16-2016 04:30 PM

Well, if they ARE lighter, I can't tell. It's a very close match, so I wouldn't fret about it.

eomak 01-16-2016 04:41 PM

Thanks,its just that i paid a lot of $ to get it done,well for me.. and you just cant say hey can you repaint them the color is a bit off!!!

Nine8Six 01-16-2016 06:10 PM

What you are seeing is a difference in reflections, not a color mismatch. Unfortunately there is very little if nothing at all that you or your bodyshop friend can do about it. Paint fades under UV with time, specially worst with the metallic tones, so to match that degrading effect one would need a type of skill set that unfortunately nobody have developed yet. For a 100% match you'd need to respray the entire side of the vehicle.

Its one of those thing... if you wouldn't have told us we would have never found out ;) Nice job from the look of it if you ask me

rfuerst911sc 01-17-2016 01:03 AM

I see a difference to my eye the rockers look several shades lighter. Almost looks like grey primer. Sorry .

Santafe 01-17-2016 01:51 AM

I have to agree with Nine8Six I think we are are just looking at the different reflections on the body work, had you not said I would not have noticed it, also I think new paint not matter how well done needs a year or so to mature & that new paint sheen to dull.
That said I think your car looks fantastic, great choice, well done!.

NewArt 01-17-2016 06:05 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1453086272.jpg
Hey, does my hardtop not match the body? Oh well, looks great anyway! ;)

eomak 01-17-2016 08:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mid rain day time pictures.I still see a noticeable difference.Oh well jsut have to go with it. Thanks all for info.

Luckyed 01-18-2016 04:08 AM

My previous DD was a red 2010 Infiniti G-37.
I swear in certain lighting conditions every panel of that car appeared to be a slightly different color.

I always expected someone to say something, but nobody ever did.

Weird.....

Regardless, your rocker panels look fine.

Joe B 01-18-2016 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomak (Post 480419)
Mid rain day time pictures.I still see a noticeable difference.Oh well jsut have to go with it. Thanks all for info.

Nope; looks the same to me.

jdraupp 01-18-2016 04:50 AM

If you don't like it, then take it back to your paint guy and tell him you aren't happy. But I'm telling, the only difference you're seeing is one item painted 14 years ago and one being painted last week. Reflections play havoc on the mind.

particlewave 01-18-2016 09:21 AM

I think what we have here is a some nice guys trying to be nice and/or poor eyesight because the side skirts are clearly a shade or two lighter than the car.

A decent painter can match new paint with 14 year old paint, so the argument that it's inevitable with aged paint is completely false.

Nine8Six 01-18-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 480473)
I think what we have here is a some nice guys trying to be nice and/or poor eyesight because the side skirts are clearly a shade or two lighter than the car.

A decent painter can match new paint with 14 year old paint, so the argument that it's inevitable with aged paint is completely false.

got bad news for your decent painter, I heard that new cars out there are all sprayed using water based paint, manufacturers' decision for environmental reasons. Apparently makes it twice more difficult for conventional equipment to match both surface finishes and spraying effect (nozzle/pattern?) for metallics. Makes it near impossible my bodyshop guy was rumbling about last time I went.

Talking about the getting the bloom and reflection as perfectly sharp as the older paint. Metallics only of course.

Not much of an issue for Honda Civics but when you want your Italian or German car panels to be resprayed, that causes some problems lolll I've heard

GTA_G20 01-18-2016 04:58 PM

Sorry guys not sure what you can or cannot see but that colour is off.

Look at where the rocker panel touches the wheel well. its not a mirage, that paint is off. Shouldve had the door and 1/4 blended with the rocker if it were me

jb92563 01-18-2016 07:24 PM

If you like entering it in Concours then you could fret about it, otherwise its no big deal.

If it was me and its still bothersom then obscure it with a Boxster sticker.

If you need to change your focus and perspective to get past it then read the IMS Failure threads and all the wonderful modes of failure for your engine.

Also watch some of the Boxster track racing videos in the Race forum. I did that during a break today and you should have seen how I drove the Boxster on my way home.
Puts your head into a whole different space where paint colors and rainbows give way to growling engines and adrenaline.

eomak 01-18-2016 08:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Its not that bad i guess.I can live with it. Thanks again all.Oh yea that clamp tool came in so handy when i did my water pump.Took like 5 mins. to slide it off and back on again.Thanks.

Nine8Six 01-19-2016 01:09 AM

Oh Christ, somehow looking at this again onto a cheap Surface tablet out of a dark and dreadful hotel room makes it all obvious. That last picture you posted makes it clear that this is not a 'reflection' issue. Looking right inside the wheelwell where there is no light bouncing and the paint mismatch huge.

I'm afraid you need to go back to your painter. This indeed needs fixing (you weren't crazy loll)

Insulted; somehow looking at your thread off a $2500 SONY UHD monitor with a 14 bit look-up table calibration feature doesn't cut it. Hope I kept the receipt for that thing :/