986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Coolent hose clamps (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59916-coolent-hose-clamps.html)

eomak 12-24-2015 03:11 AM

Coolent hose clamps

Hello,i am replacing my water pump. Having a hard time just getting the OEM hose clamps off and do not want to buy the tool which is around $80 no?And do not plan putting them back on. Car is on jacks so kinda hard already when laying on the ground fighting with pillars.Can cut/break them off? Hose's are good shape still. Any tips? thanks.

JayG 12-24-2015 05:29 AM

Just use some channellocks to get the clamps off. Should be pretty easy

Wret 12-24-2015 06:08 AM

The cable pull hose clamp pliers are typically around 30 bucks at auto parts stores and about 50 for Craftsman. You'll need them later for your coolant expansion tank. ;)

rick3000 12-24-2015 06:53 AM

Without the right tool the spring clamps can be a real pain to remove, I got an inexpensive one on Amazon for about $30. The problem with regular pliers is getting them to 'catch' on the spring clamp, I would try a pair of large/long needle nose pliers. :cheers:

dghii 12-24-2015 06:55 AM

+1 for channel locks. Can also set a pair of large vice grips.

Gelbster 12-24-2015 08:02 AM

Mahew cats paw is the correct tool:
http://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-Select-45650-Clamp-Plier/dp/B0000AXA53

eomak 12-24-2015 12:08 PM

thanks for info.all, checked home depot here in Canada. They are expensive here. $76 without tax/gst. so around $80. I just need to get 2 clamps off for $80? Might as will buy a dermal tool cut them off. Those come in handy around the house. But basicly you have to sqeeze the clamp together which gives it enough opening to slide freely on the hose any direction? Vice type piler's work?

pjq 12-24-2015 12:33 PM

Like JayG said use channel locks or vise grips to release the pressure of the clamp and while the ends are squeezed together slide the whole clamp down the hose well away from the piece being clamped. If the hose is hard to remove from the pipe at this stage try warming it up with a hair drier or a heat gun, remember warming it (not hot!). Then twist, pull, turn - pull it off (swearing usually helps). We're not suppose to use a flat screw driver to break the seal between the hose and pipe But if your careful not to mare the pipe, it works.

JFP in PA 12-24-2015 12:36 PM

Or spend $5 on Amazon and get one of these, which will quickly remove the most stubborn hose without damaging it:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SL._SX522_.jpg

nieuwhzn 12-25-2015 09:06 PM

Oh, come on, you are driving a Porsche and are complaining about buying a proper cable operated hose clamp pliers for $40 at Sears? Believe me, this is one of the best investments I ever made. All European cars are inundated with these particular clamps. Some of them are really difficult to reach, just wait until you have tried to replace your AOS without that special tool! BTW, there is a good reason that these annoying clamps are being used instead of the garden hose variety, they apply pressure more evenly around the hose.

kk2002s 12-26-2015 05:58 AM

Well you are obviously a DIYer so I second investing in cable pliers. You are going to need them soon or later. Hell you need them now. Mine sat in packaging for a year until my coolant tank went. I would have never gotten some of those clamps off without them

But as far as replacing clamps, is changing to non-spring type a mistake?
I replaced my coolant tank hoses with typical screw type

Phil C 12-26-2015 06:21 AM

There's no substitute for the right tool at the right time

After screwing with vice grips, channel locks, long handled need nosed plier, etc to remove an impossible spring clamp, I broke down and bought the tool. Now I use it on my Range Rover, my Audi and my Porsche. If a tool saves 30 minutes to an hour on an impossible task, I dont really care what ti costs. It's always cheaper than having
the dealer or an independent do the job.

Gforrest2 12-26-2015 08:12 AM

I got a cheapo pair off Ebay for less than $20 shipped. Worked so-so when I changed out my AOS. Wasn't enough room to get a good bite on the clamp.

But like you, my car was on jack stands and I was on my back when I changed my motor mount and had to move one of the coolant hoses out of the way. Like mentioned above, squeeze the clamp with some channel locks and slide down the hose. And then you might need one of those picking tools (or screw driver) if your hose is stuck on to the pipe. Good luck.

Gelbster 12-26-2015 10:47 AM

Beware using generic worm-drive hose clamps to replace the OEM clamps.
The original constant tension spring-band type clamps are much less likely to allow seepage over time. But cheap chinese clamps may have incorrect temper
If the 'ears' of the spring-band type clamp are oriented in a position that is difficult to access ,you can push it round the hose with a screwdriver or pull with a hook. A worm drive clamp can be much more difficult.
https://www.rotorclip.com/hose_clamp_tech_data.php

arthrodriver 12-26-2015 01:58 PM

Try a light squirt of WD 40 under that hose that seems bonded onto its spout. Then gentle twist with padded channel lok. Has worked. Worried about the kerosene based solvent attacking the rubber? Wipe off the inside of the hose. Never had a problem. The Chinese clamps are almost useless, but I have used two in a pinch. Keep visiting them. Once the hose "bonds" it does't care.

Mark_T 12-27-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieuwhzn (Post 477739)
Oh, come on, you are driving a Porsche and are complaining about buying a proper cable operated hose clamp pliers for $40 at Sears? Believe me, this is one of the best investments I ever made. All European cars are inundated with these particular clamps. Some of them are really difficult to reach, just wait until you have tried to replace your AOS without that special tool! BTW, there is a good reason that these annoying clamps are being used instead of the garden hose variety, they apply pressure more evenly around the hose.

What he said. Stop bellyaching about the cost and buy the proper tool. And get a good one rather than the cheap piece of crap I just know you want to buy.