986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Crystal Ball Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59794-crystal-ball-question.html)

Muskoka Minute 12-10-2015 05:08 PM

Crystal Ball Question

I know this is a crystal ball question..

How long will a 03 - 2.7 with 124,400 miles. (205,000 kilometers) normally go for.
It appears to have been well maintained. (Regular oil changes etc)

Assuming the IMS holds together how long are these engines usually good for before
major eng work is required?

What kind of work would normally need to be done?

After the purchase price I have a couple of grand saved for unforeseen issues but a major eng expense would mean it'll be parked for a while...

Just trying to get educated.

Thanks Guys

jdraupp 12-10-2015 05:14 PM

There are several guys who have original motors well into the 260k mile range.

Steve Tinker 12-10-2015 06:06 PM

Its not just the engine that wears out - lots of money will have to be spent to get suspension, cooling system, brakes and engine / gearbox ancillaries up to spec.
Just getting a suspension overhaul will run into several thousand $$, plus tyres, clutch, fuel & coolant pumps, wheel bearings etc etc just add to the pain......
"A couple of grand" saved up won't go far even for routine maintenance costs, let alone unknown gotcha's.

oc-boxster 12-10-2015 06:11 PM

If this is a car you haven't purchased yet but are thinking of buying, at that mileage definitely get a pre purchase inspection done by a good independent shop in your area. Keep in mind at that mileage there are other things besides the engine that probably need attention. For instance, my 2002 at 117,000 miles had a very worn suspension, I didn't do the work myself so I had to pay labor the bill was over 3,000 dollars.

Muskoka Minute 12-10-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 476177)
Its not just the engine that wears out - lots of money will have to be spent to get suspension, cooling system, brakes and engine / gearbox ancillaries up to spec.
Just getting a suspension overhaul will run into several thousand $$, plus tyres, clutch, fuel & coolant pumps, wheel bearings etc etc just add to the pain......
"A couple of grand" saved up won't go far even for routine maintenance costs, let alone unknown gotcha's.

So are you saying to stay away from a high miler and spend the money on a new low mileage car?

JayG 12-10-2015 06:41 PM

I would ask:

How long is a piece of string?

thstone 12-10-2015 08:30 PM

175,000 - 200,000 miles. That is my personal opinion after 3 engine failures.

There are some that last longer and some that don't make it that far.

Steve Tinker 12-10-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute (Post 476179)
So are you saying to stay away from a high miler and spend the money on a new low mileage car?

Personally I would say yes, leave the high mileage cars alone unless you are buying it for a project.

I bought my 2001 S back in 2008 from a Porsche Dealer - it came with a 12 month factory warranty and had 62,000km (38,000 miles). I have now 105,000km (65,000 miles) and have spent in the region of $US22,000 in upkeep in the 7 years of ownership.
Granted, some non essential's are included in the cost (Bilstein PSS9 suspension, 997 shifter, SS headers and cat delete pipes) but the vast majority of costs are maintenance items - and I do the maintenance myself, so labour is - er- free.
I did farm out the LN ceramic IMS bearing / clutch / crank seal to a professional ($4000) back in 2009 and a top repair / chain tensioner replacement to the Porsche Dealer, but all other repairs & maintenance was done by myself.

Last count, maintenance was +/- $US14,500 or about $US2,400 per year and that's with a low mileage car and the first year was under Porsche warranty.

aczyzewski 12-10-2015 09:39 PM

Can you confirm whether or not some of the aforementioned big ticket items have already been addressed?

Muskoka Minute 12-12-2015 06:54 AM

The car has had a bunch of work done within the last 7 months
- US M030 suspension,
- all new control arms,
- track arms, tie rods,
- drop links
- Top transmission gears
- and a bunch of other work

The car seams to be in good repair.

Luv2Box 12-12-2015 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute (Post 476376)
- US M030 suspension,
- all new control arms,
- track arms, tie rods,
- drop links
- Top transmission gears

I would still get a PPI done and if it clears I wouldn't worry with that amount of miles. My '99 just turned 118K and I swear it is running better than ever.

Jamesp 12-12-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

- US M030 suspension,
- all new control arms,
- track arms, tie rods,
- drop links
- Top transmission gears

That is an alarming amount of work for the last 7 months. I can see why the owner wants to sell it. It's a money pit. Do you think the owner has the pit filled, or is the owner aware an end to spending is not in sight and is ready for someone else to start sinking cash into it?

Muskoka Minute 12-14-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 476406)
That is an alarming amount of work for the last 7 months. I can see why the owner wants to sell it. It's a money pit. Do you think the owner has the pit filled, or is the owner aware an end to spending is not in sight and is ready for someone else to start sinking cash into it?

The owner has been transferred out of the country.

911monty 12-14-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

- US M030 suspension,
- all new control arms,
- track arms, tie rods,
- drop links
- Top transmission gears

Personally I see this work as something done by an owner performing the best maintenance possible, he did the complete suspension obviously not trying to be done cheap. IMHO this is the kind of work I want to see done. I would think there is a high likelihood that this car is well maintained. Deferred maintenance is expensive. Still need a PPI done though.

mikefocke 12-15-2015 06:27 AM

I see no IMS, RMS, AOS, water pump, valve work, engine mounts plastic water and oil tanks done which are typical needs as the car ages.

But I also see two things I really like...recent proactive maintenance/improvements and that you know the motivation of the seller. I bought 2 Boxsters that worked out well and the selling was motivated by family and work related items I could verify. I sold one and again it was a time of life issue, not car condition that motivated the sale. I think you are much better than average in what you know about the car. Can you talk to the guy who did the work? Can you examine the oil filter at least?

Having said that, this is not a new Corolla with warranty, it is a 13 year old car. Well maintained and with luck, you'll get another 125k miles out of it.

Fintro11 12-15-2015 07:49 AM

it will run as long as you want it to run :P

do preventative maintenance and you will likely have almost no problems