986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Electric car trounces Carrera GT/Ferrari (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/5976-electric-car-trounces-carrera-gt-ferrari.html)

Rail26 05-05-2006 08:34 PM

Electric car trounces Carrera GT/Ferrari

Ugly...I know we have posted on the gas powered version of this car.

http://www.wrightspeed.com/ click on the "see more" at the bottom.

Wintermute 05-05-2006 09:16 PM

Whoa. I just read about this on Digg.com. Very cool. Expensive, but cool. Wrap some nice, German sculpted metal around that frame and you got yourself a wicked roadster.

spacecadet 05-05-2006 09:21 PM

Pretty neat car, this is what it is based off of....

http://www.arielatom.com/ariel/site.php

MNBoxster 05-05-2006 11:17 PM

Hi,

Not to hijack this thread, but I find these intriguing:
http://www.ohler.com/ev/spyder/
http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=913

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

jangobox 05-06-2006 03:43 AM

Pretty darn cool. I bet it is pretty quiet too. Talk about masking what you got underneath that hood at the dragstrip!

socratic 05-06-2006 06:21 AM

Quiet yes, but some of the enjoyment of a Boxster are the lovely engine notes and running through the gears at wide open throttle. Also, going hard on the brakes and heel-toe blipping the throttle to match revs for a downshift and then accelerating out of a curve.

Having a golf-cart-like experience, no matter how fast it is, should simply be not as fun.

wild1poet2 05-06-2006 06:36 AM

I've been intrigued with the potential of electric cars because it is my understanding that an electric motor(not engine) develops a very high amount of linear torque. Which of course gives it accelerating ability. But then again diesel engines develop a lot of torque but they do not accelerate all that quick. Can anyone confirm and clarify??

Ronzi 05-06-2006 06:42 AM

Pretty cool, but it lacks the appeal of an IC engine exhaust sound. Maybe they could come up with the equivalent of the playing card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel which we used to simulate the sound of a motorcycle when we were kids.

70Sixter 05-06-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild1poet2
I've been intrigued with the potential of electric cars because it is my understanding that an electric motor(not engine) develops a very high amount of linear torque. Which of course gives it accelerating ability. But then again diesel engines develop a lot of torque but they do not accelerate all that quick. Can anyone confirm and clarify??

Electric motors develop max torque at 0 rpm, so acceleration is a major advantage. It is also part of why the electrics work so well in gasoline hybrids - they are most efficient at low speeds where the gas engine is least efficient. But diesels and electrics are both efficient in the same range, so we don't see commercially available diesel-electrics much except in trains.

Diesels can accelerate like race cars - check out the Audi R10 with over 800 lbs/ft of torque. Or ask the Porsche RS Spyder drivers at Sebring what the aft end of the R10 looked like. Well, maybe they didn't see that much from 8th place after spending so much time parked in the pits.

ScottT 05-06-2006 02:42 PM

That was awesome... I had no clue they were getting these kinds of results from enviro-cars! Something bothers me though... although it was really cool to watch I couldn't help but pull for the Ferrari and the Porsche, and I almost immediately started thinking of disadvantages that the electric car might pose. I guess detroit has got me brainwashed or something. All in all great clip!

BuffaloBoxster 05-08-2006 07:56 AM

While it is interesting that it's an electric car, the fact is that lightweight cars have it all over even the most expensive exotics. It's all about power to weight, and the extremely low weight makes them ultra-quick in the corners.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) series production cars have far greater legal requirements than track toys or kit cars do - bumper regulations, emissions control systems, side impact beams, airbags, etc etc etc... All of this leads to significantly greater weight and expense.

For a killer lightweight google for Radical SR4.

drburton 05-08-2006 10:46 AM

BuffaloBoxster has an excellent point here, its all about the power to weight ratio. If you even the race by taking away all the production car requirements, the results would change. See the quote below:

"But so what? asks Bruno Vanzieleghem of ABG. Fast electric cars are nothing new. Vanzieleghem points to the Ariel Atom on which the X1 is based, stating the light weight of such vehicles as the major contributing factor to their speed. A petrol-powered Ariel Atom would embarass an X1 that's laden down with heavy batteries. The X1 doesn't represent a revolutionary breakthrough for electric car development so much as it attracts attention to itself and the EV movement."

deliriousga 05-08-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottT
That was awesome... I had no clue they were getting these kinds of results from enviro-cars! Something bothers me though... although it was really cool to watch I couldn't help but pull for the Ferrari and the Porsche, and I almost immediately started thinking of disadvantages that the electric car might pose.

It's ok to pull for the electric. The first Porsche was electric and 4W drive. It was a tractor, but still a Porsche. :cool: Without that first one, we may have never seen ours. :eek:

986Jim 05-08-2006 06:25 PM

Too bad it's only 1/8th mile which is pretty ghey... If it was a full 1/4 mile rate the GT and Enzo would smoke the crap out of that car.. With proper gearing both cars would beat the electric car as well. The gearing of the GT and ENzo are as such to provide a lot of acceleration but a lot of top end as well. If you limited the top end to say 150mph, both cars would out accelerate that electric car. Unfortunately thats not impressive at all. The maker of the car knew it would be out run badly in a full 1/4 mile race which is why that demostration was only half the track at a full 1/4 mile track. Make the results look interesting and revelant so change the track so you get the results you want.

Thats like racing a Viper against an Air Plane, sure the viper takes an early lead, but you know whats coming and coming fast...

:barf:

TriGem2k 05-08-2006 10:39 PM

speaking of viper....Just drove a 2005 last wednesday in New Jersey....Holy crap that this has power...I kept throwing the rear end out tho :)...All in all the car was fun to drive the the first 20mins or so after that my back couldnt take it any longer sooo uncomfortable....Interior is GARBAGE....

insite 05-09-2006 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Jim
Too bad it's only 1/8th mile which is pretty ghey... If it was a full 1/4 mile rate the GT and Enzo would smoke the crap out of that car.... Thats like racing a Viper against an Air Plane, sure the viper takes an early lead, but you know whats coming and coming fast...

agreed; electric cars are heavy on torque but light on power. they're GREAT off the line, but not remarkable at speed.

on another note, that GT sounds fantastic