Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #1

Update question for 987 dudes

MP3 Adapter: I saw the thread for the new one out in Europe. Anybody bought one yet and installed it?

Wind deflector: We all know the windstop rattles...Anyone found a fix yet besides felt tape?

Has anyone had problems with the stereo not reading a cd and having to eject the cd to get the stereo to read it?

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #2

yes, i've had the problem with the cd player - happened alot in the first month - now every so often - moreso if same disc is in cd player for a while. had dealer look check into it a month ago - yup, you guessed it - they couldn't replicate it, so it must not be broken. they then told me that the same service tech had lost a bunch of weight and was coughing up blood earlier that day (positive signs of lung cancer, among other things) - i looked at him, said i didn't see him coughing up blood and didn't think he looked like he was losing weight - said he must be fine and encouraged him to smoke more!!!

if it works for porsche techs should work for doctors, right
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Has anyone had problems with the stereo not reading a cd and having to eject the cd to get the stereo to read it?
Dude, I've complained about that here like.... I don't know HOW many times! Haven't you seen it even once?

Complain to your dealer. They've replaced mine twice now in an attempt to fix the problem and of course I still have it. I'm this close to escalating it...
Old 05-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #4

Must have missed it. Will read closely next time...I go in for my 15000 mile service in July so I will see if I can get it replaced.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 05-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #5

Rail, you do know that "by the book" is 20k service intervals, right?

I think there are actually two problems with the CD reader, not sure which Rail's refering to. One is the STOP message that you get with conventional CDs and the other is where the CD just sits there whirring indefinitely. I only get that one with MP3 burned CDs. I'm guessing that would go away if the CD was burned at a lower speed, but that's just a hunch, and you can eventually get the reader to work.

I think the STOP one may actually be an enhancement, not a defect. If the CD player gets too warm, it protects itself (according to the manual). I get the STOP message more frequently on warm days, and the only folks I see complaining about it live in TX and CA, but this may just be a coinkidink.

As far as the deflector goes, I'd agree the felt tape isn't the miracle cure, but it helps. Wind deflectors seem to come in three kinds, the fixed window (650 convertible), mesh (Mercedes) and fixed-plastic (Porsche, BMW). As far as fixed-plastic goes, the Porsche one is a gazillion times quieter than BMWs (which is also bigger), so I think we actually have it pretty good.

On this subject, does anyone else wonder why American and Japanese convertibles don't come with a wind deflector? I always see Mustang and Sebring owners with a hat jammed on their head and I know they're getting buffeted by Katrina level winds in there. Just another instance of some American manufacturers not "getting it".

Yeah, it's pretty odd that for a bunch of people obsessing over an IPOD connection, no boarder has purchased one and posted about it...or at PPBB.com. I guess sometimes complaining about something is more enjoyable than purchasing a fix, and not complaining.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #6

I haven't noticed anything temperature-related about it, but that's something to consider. If it were temperature related, I would expect the CD player to display the message every once in a while while playing, meaning it got too hot during operation and freaked out. I only get the STOP message when I turn on accessory power, which if anything would have given the unit time to cool down.

I've videotaped the problem occuring and will take it to the dealership again.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987

On this subject, does anyone else wonder why American and Japanese convertibles don't come with a wind deflector? I always see Mustang and Sebring owners with a hat jammed on their head and I know they're getting buffeted by Katrina level winds in there. Just another instance of some American manufacturers not "getting it".
S2000 has a great little plastic deflector that not only works well, it also flips down for easy when you want it out of the way. Oh yeah... it also doesn't make any noise!
laphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #8

Interesting, laphil, never noticed the deflector on the S2000. I guess we can always count on the Japanese manufacturers to build something that does a better job without all the noise (the wind-Lexus).

The only downside to the S2000 deflector, that I can see, would be owning the car it's attached to.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Old 05-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Interesting, laphil, never noticed the deflector on the S2000. I guess we can always count on the Japanese manufacturers to build something that does a better job without all the noise (the wind-Lexus).

The only downside to the S2000 deflector, that I can see, would be owning the car it's attached to.
WHAT?! that's a ********************in little car - honestly, probably would've ended up with a nice yellow or blue one if the passenger airbag could've been deactivated - that was the only thing that killed it for me (was going to get it on the spot, til the salesman confirmed that). it was super quiet with top up, not bad with top down and superass fun to rev all the way to redline! of course, not as prestigious as Porsche, but for the price - wow! and, i think they retain their value in a way that may make the boxster the ugly, red-headed step child! good thing i like redheads
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #10

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on the S2000. A front-mounted, naturally aspirated 2.2 I-4, doesn't hold much fascination for me, particularly when you have to rev it to 6800 just to get 162 lb-ft of torque, which is measly, even by Boxster standards, for a car only marginally lighter.

And did I mention that it's ugly? No? ... it's ugly, and draws attention...in a bad way. It's inherently a ricer, a Civic with the roof removed. To each his own, and if you're an S2000 luvver, good fo you, but there's about 157 other cars I'd rather own.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

Old 05-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphil
S2000 has a great little plastic deflector that not only works well, it also flips down for easy when you want it out of the way. Oh yeah... it also doesn't make any noise!
The Rx-7 is the first car, to my knowledge with a wind deflector. They made a big deal over it when it came out so I tend to believe that they were first. I think it also was hinged. They also had a targa/full convertable roof that was kind of clever.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #12

Steering thread back on line: Yes, I was referring to the stop message. I'm not sure if it is a heat thing...it happens in the garage, on the highway, on a cold morning, etc.

I have put the felt tape in the wind deflector and it wears out in about a week. Just wondering if anybody had a better idea or if the dealer actually fixed it somehow. My dealer is 4 hours away so I don't really have a "good" relationship with him.

What about this one: anybody had the cigarette lighter (or whatever you call it) in the passenger wheel well quit? I looked for a fuse, but couldn't find one for it.

SD987...yeah, I know it is 20,000 miles...I am getting my oil changed at 15000. I changed it at 7500 also. I'm in a hot and dry climate so I take a few more precautions.

The IPOD thing is killing me.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 05-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #13

I'm changing my oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Peace of mind and all that.

The felt tape solution that the dealer used last time I complained about rattling has held up for a few months now. They added some to the attachment points, not just the base of the unit as they had done before. It makes the fit very tight, but feels even more kludgy.

Ah well.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #14

I put a video of the stereo problem up on Google.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9157040314421692619
Old 05-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #15

That is exactly the problem I have. Thanks! I will use it when I go to the dealer.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 05-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #16

Do it! Make sure they read the text too. I'm P.O.'d. I showed my service manager today when i took my car in for some minor things (those strings in the top came loose again--top looks like it has shoe laces sticking out, again).
Old 05-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #17

I have that too...I can't figure out what they are...it doesn't seem to affect anything. Did you steal my car?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #18

As "Percymon" replied on the Rennteam board you can reset the system on the fly to clear this message.

It's not TP +1 +4 on the CD24

It's TP button +1st button on the row of little ones +3rd button

System resets after you hold that combo down a couple of seconds, display goes from

STOP to CDS to normal operation.

Difficult to do while driving I'd imagine, but haven't tried. Turning the system off/on or ejecting the disc works for me too, but thought y'all would want to know.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I have that too...I can't figure out what they are...it doesn't seem to affect anything. Did you steal my car?
hahaha they're common 987 problems it would seem. Go to the dealer and have them replace those "tension ropes".