986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Introduction - new owner 01S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59579-introduction-new-owner-01s.html)

dsallean 11-19-2015 09:41 AM

Introduction - new owner 01S

Howdy,

I just want to make an intro as is proper forum etiquette. The car is a white 01 6-speed S 90K which I got in southern CA a few months ago. I am in TX and after looking at a number of local cars for months I decided to look in CA and found one in only a few days that hit the right chords for me.

A little back story: Been a car guy since a kid and have had (l'm not alone in this) cars from most European countries, Japan as well as domestics over the years. Most recently sold a completed rebuild project in Jan/Feb and with cash burning a hole in my pocket started looking for a replacement weekender. A good friend and current 993, former Box and other Porsche owner convinced me to look at the Boxster. He used to race one of his Porsches and I told him I was interested in a 911. He said sure but if you get a Box you will really like it! So that's when I started looking hard at the Boxster.

I must say so far I love it. Equally importantly my wife of 27 years loves it. Pics or it didn't happen right...this is from before I picked it up in CA.

Dave in TX

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1447958335.jpg

bglz42 11-19-2015 10:06 AM

Very nice! Love the color combo!

I am down in Dickinson, just a few miles away.

Welcome!

Porsche9 11-19-2015 11:26 AM

Welcome to the Boxster world. Your friend is truely a good friend based on the sound advice.

If you haven't alreadt make sure you get the car inspected by someone that knows Boxsters and great any needed service done.

Retroman1969 11-19-2015 12:29 PM

Beautiful color combo. Congrats!

dsallean 11-19-2015 12:50 PM

Thanks Gentlemen. Glad to be an owner.

Porsche9, were good. Needed rear bearings and new belt. The car is in great shape. Could use a new set of tires soon - mostly because I prefer Michelins. New clutch on the horizon at some point but not yet...

Gonna just enjoy the presently nice TX weather that I am sure bglz42 is enjoying just down the road from me.

Porsche9 11-19-2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsallean (Post 474058)
Thanks Gentlemen. Glad to be an owner.

Porsche9, were good. Needed rear bearings and new belt. The car is in great shape. Could use a new set of tires soon - mostly because I prefer Michelins. New clutch on the horizon at some point but not yet...

Gonna just enjoy the presently nice TX weather that I am sure bglz42 is enjoying just down the road from me.

Good to hear. This is definitely the time of year to enjoy the weather and were alot of our Boxster friends further north put their cars into hibernation.

joecal 11-19-2015 03:08 PM

Welcome Dave, nice looking car and you're a lucky man you can still drive it this time of the year. :cheers:

grc0456 11-19-2015 05:17 PM

Welcome, Dave. Sweet looking ride. And here I thought Savanna Beige only looked good in a blue car! And I hear you about the spousal approval. I worked on my wife about a year before she submitted - I mean agreed - and now she loves the car. What she doesn't love is me looking at various forum posts constantly! Drive the snot out of that thing!

steved0x 11-19-2015 06:24 PM

Looks good and I love that style of wheel.

dsallean 11-20-2015 05:20 AM

Thanks so much guys.

BruceH 11-20-2015 06:55 AM

Welcome to the forum! That had to be a fun drive back to Texas, surely you have more pictures:D

dsallean 11-20-2015 07:59 AM

HA! Yes I have some more picture which I intended to use in the OP. But those are on a camera in my closet and i can't seem to remember to grab the camera and download the pictures.

dsallean 11-30-2015 08:15 AM

Well the headlights decided to not come on last week. No problem, consult the forum, find out most likely the headlight switch. Buy new switch and replace. Headlights work again. Also ordered new Osram Night Breaker H7's just for grins. Not installed yet but looking forward to removing the headlight units...I like taking things apart and putting them back together. :)

A few more photos for those who like pics of white Boxsters.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1448903637.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1448903657.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1448903675.jpg

lkchris 11-30-2015 09:33 AM

Yes, it's likely one has to travel to obtain the right Boxster ... in my case to a Ford dealer in Brighton, Colorado.

Learned about the headlight switch on the drive home as when I one time switched from high back to low beam I got darkness instead.

As regards your clutch (you may already know this) this car has a dual-mass flywheel which could require replacement at the same time. A $1000 part itself.

DrCactus 11-30-2015 11:24 AM

Nice ride bro... I also have a 01 S... very sweet you will love it. Don't forget to drive'her hard each day.... teach 'her who's the boss!! haha Because we both know once you get home, a new boss is waiting inside the house!!

morgal48 11-30-2015 12:51 PM

Welcome Dave, and hello! I'm at 1464 and 1093, just north of the Westpark. Excellent choice of vehicles! Hope to see you around. Are you a PCA/LSR member?

dsallean 11-30-2015 06:59 PM

Morgal48,

I know that area well. Not a PCA member yet but it is on my list.

See you around.

Dave

dsallean 11-30-2015 07:01 PM

DrCactus. You got that right!

thstone 11-30-2015 07:58 PM

I also went shopping for a 911 and came home with a Boxster as my first Porsche! They are quite addictive.

Great looking car and kudos on posting the pic's!

Keep us up to date as you work your way though mods and repairs.

jb92563 12-01-2015 05:45 AM

Welcome to the addiction.
I can highly recommend that you take a Porsche Performance driving school.
It will teach you how to control the car safely and with confidence, get the most out of its performance, have tremendous fun in the process and meet a bunch of nice Porsche folks.

Also, should the time come for a repair, always think of it as an opportunity to upgrade parts ;)
There are lots of upgrades that can be done and I am always surprised at how easy it is to work on the Boxster and DIY if you are so inclined.

I think the #1 upgrade is the Top Speed or other aftermarket exhaust and the 2nd CAT deletes if your car has 4 Catalytic converters like many CA cars have.

The resulting sound is not too loud or raucous till you rev it and will make the most sports car like sound you ever heard. Seriously, you will turn down your music just to hear that awesome tone and under bridges...orgasmic!

There is a huge knowledge base of users and threads here so support from the forum folks is awesome and invaluable.

Enjoy.

Ray