986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   brake pad wear sensor (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59560-brake-pad-wear-sensor.html)

mipstien 11-17-2015 11:52 AM

brake pad wear sensor

Are they the same on front and rear?

I can't find any definitive information after searching for about an hour. I figured it was an easy question.

tommy583 11-17-2015 12:11 PM

I would say yes. They appear to be the same to me.

Frodo 11-17-2015 12:15 PM

That said, Pelican Parts has them listed separate, with slightly different part numbers...
2001 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Brake Pads & Rotors - Page 3

mipstien 11-17-2015 12:40 PM

Yeah, I noticed that as well, but that doesn't change that places sell a set of 4 with all same part numbers. That does not mean that the Porsche part isn't slightly different but plausible to use on both front and back either...... guess i'll find out and report back.

tommy583 11-17-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 473875)
That said, Pelican Parts has them listed separate, with slightly different part numbers...
2001 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Brake Pads & Rotors - Page 3

Well that wouldn't surprise me. I'm wrong a lot.....just ask my wife :confused:

Frodo 11-17-2015 01:15 PM

Frodo 11-17-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mipstien (Post 473880)
Yeah, I noticed that as well, but that doesn't change that places sell a set of 4 with all same part numbers. That does not mean that the Porsche part isn't slightly different but plausible to use on both front and back either...... guess i'll find out and report back.

Yeah, you may be right on that. In one of the reviews the corroborates what you say:
Installed on my 2002 986S
By Paul S., submitted May 27, 2014
Comments: Fit for fronts and rears. Works great. Same part number for all 4 wheels.

NewArt 11-17-2015 03:08 PM

Sometimes it's just the length of the wire that differs, as with the O2 sensors.

PaulDash 05-25-2017 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mipstien (Post 473880)
...... guess i'll find out and report back.

Can you please report back?

mipstien 05-25-2017 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDash (Post 538400)
Can you please report back?

They worked great. They were short but not too short and fit snug without stretching.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JayG 05-25-2017 07:24 AM

You really don't need them at all.
Its really easy to see the pads through a wheel

Most people I know that track or AX their cars don't use them at all.
Just tie them off with a cable tie

mipstien 05-25-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 538417)
You really don't need them at all.
Its really easy to see the pads through a wheel

Most people I know that track or AX their cars don't use them at all.
Just tie them off with a cable tie

I personally didn't want the ecu error and they are easy to change. Just my opinion

particlewave 05-25-2017 08:26 AM

There is no "ECU error", they just illuminate a dash cluster bulb.
Also, there is no "sensor". It's just a "U" shaped piece of wire. Save yourself $40 and make your own (or remove the cluster bulb). ;)

mipstien 05-25-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 538436)
There is no "ECU error", they just illuminate a dash cluster bulb.
Also, there is no "sensor". It's just a "U" shaped piece of wire. Save yourself $40 and make your own (or remove the cluster bulb). ;)

Not many bought these cars to budget build! Why ghetto it?

NewArt 05-25-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mipstien (Post 538437)

Maybe, maybe not. I would guess that a lot of us who frequently track our cars spend more time wrenching and jerry-rigging stuff than worrying about the niceties of proper part numbers. Different philosophies, I guess. :)

mipstien 05-25-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 538438)
Maybe, maybe not. I would guess that a lot of us who frequently track our cars spend more time wrenching and jerry-rigging stuff than worrying about the niceties of proper part numbers. Different philosophies, I guess. :)

I don't track my car. So not relevant to me.

Burg Boxster 05-25-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mipstien (Post 538437)

LOL - not 'ghetto' at all. That's actually an extremely ignorant statement.

In all sincerity, the sensors are just a simple form of idiot light b/c too many idiot drivers ignored the metal noise makers (tabs on pads which made them squeal at min thickness).

Likewise, sensors are very susceptible to breakage from the elements - heat in particular. As stated w/ minimal 'effort', and would would be considered proper maintenance, one can easily inspect the pads, their thickness, condition i.e. chamfering which occurs with use and can be dangerous. All of which is not reportable w/ the idiot sensor.

Ghetto - LOL.

Good luck!

The Radium King 05-25-2017 08:49 AM

most track pads don't come with openings for the sensors. further, at the track you should be visually inspecting your brakes, not waiting for a light to come on. finally, heat from track use can cause the sensors to fail prematurely.

soln? snip the wires just short of the plug and twist them together. ecu sees continuity and assumes all is good.

mipstien 05-25-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 538440)
LOL - not 'ghetto' at all. That's actually an extremely ignorant statement.

In all sincerity, the sensors are just a simple form of idiot light b/c too many idiot drivers ignored the metal noise makers (tabs on pads which made them squeal at min thickness).

Likewise, sensors are very susceptible to breakage from the elements - heat in particular. As stated w/ minimal 'effort', and would would be considered proper maintenance, one can easily inspect the pads, their thickness, condition i.e. chamfering which occurs with use and can be dangerous. All of which is not reportable w/ the idiot sensor.

Ghetto - LOL.

Good luck!

Maybe it wasn't politically correct for you but I find it spot on to what I meant by it. It is what it is. Not really up for an internet argument. We all know how that ends and besides it's just opinion lol. Don't get your panties inn a wad.

Ghetto/redneck engineering

1. To modify an object to****suit****another purpose from it's****original, often very dangerously, however.

2. To build a tool out of scrapped materials, commonly****used****in the repair of objects, or to substitute a tool.

NewArt 05-25-2017 09:05 AM

Haha, I guess that makes me guilty! Dropped my engine, locked the cams, redid the cam chains, pads and put it all back together and never bought one "special Porche tool # " in my life! Works for me! :)