Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #1

Edmunds.com maintenance estimates way off?

Why are the maintenance cost estimates from Edmunds so far off? I keep hearing people say that the 60,000 mile service costs anywhere from $600 to $1200, yet Edmunds claims it's around $400. I remember having the 30,000 mile service done on my Prelude and it cost around $350. Edmunds estimates $ 260. That's still off but it's like they are quoting a price that was 1/3 what I actually paid.

I guess I'm also wondering why there is such variance in price between different dealers if the same basic service is performed?

Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #2

Edmunds most likely is just using an industry average for "costs most likely involved" in the 60,000 service. Stealerships will/can charge whatever the market will bring them. Do the services yourself and it won't matter what Edmunds quotes or what the dealerships want to charge. Take the grand you'll save and spend it elsewhere.

BTW- There have been many discussions on dealerships service VS DIY vs 3rd party servicing. Search, read the discussions, and decide for yourself the way you would like to go. My opinion (and it really doesn't matter) is to DIY.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Edmunds most likely is just using an industry average for "costs most likely involved" in the 60,000 service. Stealerships will/can charge whatever the market will bring them. Do the services yourself and it won't matter what Edmunds quotes or what the dealerships want to charge. Take the grand you'll save and spend it elsewhere.

BTW- There have been many discussions on dealerships service VS DIY vs 3rd party servicing. Search, read the discussions, and decide for yourself the way you would like to go. My opinion (and it really doesn't matter) is to DIY.
I would disagree with the DIY if I had a new Porsche under warranty. I would use a dealer for the recommended service and keep copious records.

Of course, I would shop price on this to protect against gouging.

Now, if I had an older Box and was keeping it for a long time, I might go the DIY route, IF I were competent, which I am not.

Re: Edmunds, they are very very often wrong on many things.

Such is life.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I would disagree with the DIY if I had a new Porsche under warranty. I would use a dealer for the recommended service and keep copious records.

Of course, I would shop price on this to protect against gouging.

Now, if I had an older Box and was keeping it for a long time, I might go the DIY route, IF I were competent, which I am not.

Re: Edmunds, they are very very often wrong on many things.

Such is life.
I figured he was asking about the 60,000 service...this would put the 'Box out of warranty. Service on these cars is unbelievably easy. The one thing a competant mechanic would offer to the service is a careful eye for something that might be going wrong. Sort of a pre-emptive strike on something that can become much larger down the line.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #5

Good points X!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote