Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Dipped beam headlights not working

My dipped beam headlights aren't working. The high beams, side lights and fog lights work fine. I read that it's a common problem and usually the headlight switch.

I bought a used replacement headlight switch and combination switch (the one with the wiper and headlight stalks), it's made no difference. The bulbs are fine.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before where the headlight switch wasn't the problem.

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Garage
Across the pond we call em low beams. Do you have Litronic headlights or are yours regular? I seem to recall someone having this issue with the litronics recently.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Mine are regular halogens.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escy View Post
Mine are regular halogens.
My only other thought would be maybe the used switch was also bad? Hopefully others can weigh in.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Ignition switch? I had to fiddle with mine to get the lights, wipers, and hvac to work sometimes before I replaced it.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:08 AM   #6

I am thinking maybe the replacement switch I had was also no good. I've taken it apart, cleaned the contacts and it's still not working.

I've read that the ignition switch can give electrical issues but the symptoms seem to usually be more than just dipped beam headlights not working.

Does anyone have the pin out for the switch?
Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
If you pop the entire headlight housing out of the fender, you will see a plug that the headlight connects to that sits at the end of the headlight tray. If your headlight is not secure against this plug when you put the headlight back in, you will have problems with your bulbs. I would check that connection.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

I've removed the headlights and the plugs are secure, it all clips in like it should.

I thought maybe my used replacement switch was bad so I bought a new one and it's still the same.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #9

Thought i'd update this. Always check the simple things 1st!!!

I swapped the headlight switch and it made no difference so I got the multimeter out, had 12v at the low beam fuses, had 12v at the headlight plug, took apart the headlight mounting so I could power it up with the headlight out of the wing, had 12v at the plug on the back of the bulb, checked the earth, all good. Must be the bulb. I'd already removed it and it looked perfect, swapped it with the fog light bulb as they are the same and it worked and the fog doesn't. I'm assuming it'll be the same for the other side (it's pissing down and dark so i'll do it another time)

It seems strange for a pair of bulbs to look fine and not work, not seen that before. Strange for them to both go at the same time also. I noticed my old headlight switch has been apart in the past, I guess the car may have had previous problems. Could it have been what's killing them previously?