986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ebay grievance-need opinions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/5943-ebay-grievance-need-opinions.html)

docdyh 05-02-2006 07:26 PM

ebay grievance-need opinions

I bid and bought a OEM porsche new center dash console for a high bid of $25 plus $15 shipping (lists over $100). In the ebay ad (auto parts retailer with a feedback score of 98%), they showed a picture of an artic silver console with the corresponding porsche part no. Well, what arrived is an OEM new BLACK dash console in a new porsche box but the part no does not match what was advertised. Tried emailing the seller but no response thus far-2 days.

His ad says "don't assume anything not listed." the ad never said the console was artic silver, but showed a silver part. Either they shipped me the wrong part, or very deceptive advertising...

Dont really like leaving neg. feedback because they will likely do the same dropping my rating. Two days and they haven't answered my email or called..Will wait a few more days for a response.

What would you do?

MNBoxster 05-02-2006 07:39 PM

Hi,

Begin the Safe Harbor Procedings against the guy - no feedback involved...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

mach schnell 05-02-2006 07:40 PM

did the ad-text say anything about color? if not, and you are either unsuccesful getting the seller to respond (something in my opinion that suggests deceptive behavior) or they do respond, but are unwilling to rectify the matter, then i think you have a legitimate claim to eBay.

as evidenced by some of my other posts and threads on similar topics (not sure if you saw my post from a few weeks back about some turn signal lightbulbs that i purchased and that whole fiasco?), i have a very low threshold or tolerance for crappy customer service. the way i see it - if you walked into a store and wanted a silver part and the box had silver on it, you'd be safe to assume it was the correct part. if, after getting home, you discovered the part was incorrect, you'd go back to the store and rectify the matter. you wouldn't expect that the store would make you stand outside for several days while they just ignored you, right!? it shouldn't be any different when you buy something online.

and, btw, if the text didn't mention a black part, then it's pretty apparent by his text, "don't assume anything not listed" that this is a common tactic used by this ebay seller. i imagine if you sifted through all his/her feedback, you may find comments to support that.

either way - good luck! ebay (and paypal - if that's how you paid) are very good about supporting and resolving this types of issues

bigislandboxster 05-02-2006 07:46 PM

Safe Harbor is one way, Paypal is another, give them a try. You can get the sellers telephone number as well, and try and talk to them about your problem. Different situation, but I received a turntable literally in pieces from a seller, he did a terrible job of packing. I called him and resolved the situation immediately. Good luck, I hope you get some satisfaction out of this..... :)

blinkwatt 05-02-2006 08:49 PM

You can request seller contact information,phone number,adress etc. If you request their info you can call them to discuss the issue at hand. If you give them a call they are know you are seriuosly concerned and will not pass you by. I have had a bidder call me(seller) just to see if I have any other like items for sell,weird ain't it?

docdyh 05-03-2006 02:45 AM

thanks. I will try to get the sellers contact information..the ad did NOT state any color, but if I was sellling a black part, I would not show a silver part, and would state what color the part was..also, if I was a retail seller, I would have my business no. very visible....we will see....

Ronzi 05-03-2006 07:58 AM

Sounds like you are out $35 so far, plus aggravation.
I would send a squawk letter to eBay, and put a copy in your "Screwed on eBay" file and go on with your life.

Perfectlap 05-03-2006 08:17 AM

send me a PM if you want to sell it. I have a little scratch on mine that's been bothering me.

docdyh 05-03-2006 12:39 PM

Ronzi,

It has nothing to do with money...No one likes getting screwed esp. on ebay...If I had spent $1000, would you tell me to get on with my life...?

docdyh 05-03-2006 12:43 PM

update

Okay , after threatening negative feedback, the guy emails me telling that his grandmother just died thus not returning my emails. Who knows? He is offering me a refund if I promise not to leave negative feedback. PerfectLap, if you want the part at my cost, email me..it retails for much more, and I would rather a forum member who needs it have it, rather than letting him profit from it...

Perfectlap 05-03-2006 12:43 PM

That's why I don't buy stock in Ebay. I use it all the time and even found my Boxster their but as a responsible company they have allot to learn. I think it may be the only company in the NASDAQ 100 that doesn't have a 1-800 its buyer's can call when there is a problem. I find that incredible.
I got screwed for $800 on a 'new" bicycle frame that had stripped threads where the cranks would go. So basically it was a pile of junk. a costly lesson that ebay is nothing more than web page with huge profits and ZERO repsonsibilities.

docdyh 05-03-2006 12:48 PM

Yeah, the fact that you can't TALK to anyone at ebay pisses me off too..just sent you a PM PerfectLap.

szentej 05-03-2006 02:24 PM

ebay grievance

If item is not as described, or description was misleading, return it (you pay for shipping).
If you payed with credit card via Paypal, file a charge back with your credit card company. Otherwise you will lose money ($25) with the Paypal resolution action. Ebay doesn't do much to solve the problem if you received something, no matter if it doesn't work or whatever.

Ronzi 05-03-2006 02:26 PM

Docdyh,
No, but it isn't $1,000. It's $35.
You solicited opinions about what to do.
That's my opinion about what to do.
If you want to pursue your thirty-five bucks to the ends of the earth, have fun, and I hope you get it back.

thenavarro 05-04-2006 02:04 PM

Here's ebay's phone number if anyone needs it. I've called them before but it is VERY difficult to get them to help you over the phone. Most of the time one of their representatives will walk you through their complaint process online while they are on the phone.
408-376-7400