Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #1

Ha new one on convertable top issues

Hi try and figure this one out. So recovered the top did a good job no wrinkles. Then went to close it and it was a couple of inches away from window frame. So the dumb ass that I am I pulled it and snapped the ball joints. Got in there via the roll bars and popped the clam shell ball joints. Good so far (thank for the posts on here). Then cycled the top to make sure the clam shell opens and closes (did remove the top push rods) cool. Ordered new push rods, last night wanted to open the clam shell with the button and the thing only goes in one direction (closed) no matter if you push the button open or close. So popped the clam shell push rods again. Open the clam shell by hand and the motor functions in forward and reverse. As soon as I close the clam shell (micro switch goes to close) the motor only turns in closed position. It will not turn the other way. Guys what the hell I am out of ideas.

pieter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

Really no one
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Project Addicted

I have no exp with the problem but is the top latched when you try to open/close the clamshell?? There are other switches involved that may determine what's going on and/or your clamshell mat be 180* out of sync with the top??

Those side rods will need adjustment to get the proper close force. Otherwise the clam might not fully cycle and seal/set.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #4

Top issue

Thanks yes top is unlatched, Changed the relay as well does the same thing, windows work normal, unlatch they drop down, latch you can close them. Maybe this weekend I will change the transmissions