986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Trouble filling gas tank (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59271-trouble-filling-gas-tank.html)

Wilson95005 10-23-2015 08:04 PM

Trouble filling gas tank

I have a 2001 Boxster S. For a while now I've had problems with the gas pump nozzle clicking off before the tank is full. Lately it's gotten worse and only allows gas to run in for a few seconds before it clicks off. So I have to stand there, feeling like a fool, and click on the gas nozzle repeatedly to fill the tank. Anyone ever had anything like this? Any ideas?

thstone 10-23-2015 08:22 PM

Fairly common. Royal PITA.

I was able to get gas to flow into the tank continuously by pressing very slightly on the gas handle (so the flow was at a minimum) - otherwise it would click off.

My car fixed itself after (during?) a track day. Do a search and you'll find several posts on the subject.

oc-boxster 10-23-2015 08:27 PM

Mine does the same thing. What I have found that helps is to turn the nozzle to the side or even upside down and hold some of the hose above the nozzle to create a gravity feed at the end. It won't click off nearly as much

Retroman1969 10-23-2015 08:29 PM

I've had this problem several times. There is a valve on the fill tube that is activated when you insert the pump nozzle that vents the tank while filling. This is the likely culprit, however I fixed the problem on one of my Boxsters by replacing the old worn gas cap with a new one.
A temporary solution is to locate a plastic tab on the edge of the gas filler and push it in with your key or similar object while you're filling. It manually activates the tank vent.

Timco 10-23-2015 09:44 PM

Bought my car in Los Angeles. Needed my very first tank of gas in the Mohave desert still in ca. This happened bad. Couldn't get a 1/2 tank in the damned thing in 20 min. I was piiiiiiiiiiiised. This pump handle had the black shroud / fume collector.

Got it to 3/4. Got into UT. All gas pump nozzles are just bare aluminum, no rubber jacket. Never had that issue even one time since. No changes to car.

Wilson95005 10-24-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 470952)
I've had this problem several times. There is a valve on the fill tube that is activated when you insert the pump nozzle that vents the tank while filling. This is the likely culprit, however I fixed the problem on one of my Boxsters by replacing the old worn gas cap with a new one.
A temporary solution is to locate a plastic tab on the edge of the gas filler and push it in with your key or similar object while you're filling. It manually activates the tank vent.

Retroman, I think I located (at home, not at a gas station) that little tab to the right edge of the gas filler and pushed it in - which made a thin rod extend about 1" from the far left into the gas fill compartment. I'd never noticed that before. Does that have something to do with the venting? I can slide that rod in and out with my fingers, now that I know it's there. Weird.

cas951 10-24-2015 11:13 AM

See if this helps.
Fuel Filler Neck Vent/Bleeder Valve Issues? End The Aggravation! - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Retroman1969 10-24-2015 08:08 PM

Yes (well I don't know about a rod extending, mine doesn't do that), as far as I know the tab should be manually opening the vent valve when it's pushed in. You'll have to hold it in while pumping gas. If that method works, then your vent valve mechanism (which should operate automatically) is acting up.

To be clear, this is the tab. ;)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...pswafgsdev.jpg

coolbreeze551 10-24-2015 10:28 PM

Same issue resolved

I had the same issue on a long road trip and it was a ROYAL PITA. Turned out to be a fuse... Easiest fix and was almost as annoying to find out as the whole situation. Have a look at the fuses and maybe you'll get lucky :dance:

Wilson95005 10-24-2015 11:16 PM

Thanks, Retroman ...

that's the tab exactly that I pushed in with a key, and when I did so that little rod on the left side of the compartment popped out left to right. Probably unrelated. I'll try to get a photo.

Followup: Turned out to be the locking mechanism for the gas tank door. Why it popped out when I depressed that tab I have no idea.

I'll try the key trick next time I fill up. I suspect the fuel nozzle is supposed to push that tab in automatically and maybe the current nozzles don't fit.

Retroman1969 10-25-2015 09:56 AM

Anytime!
Actually, it's the small metal flap that actuates the vent. ;)
The plastic tab can just be pushed as a backup.
It could be any number of things like the charcoal canister or a clogged line, but the vent mechanism just springs immediately to mind.

Under the skin....
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...psvmmbrsbl.jpg