Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #1
stevendalia

Headlamp sockets

There are two main electrical connectors in the headlamp area. The larger fixed one mates to the the back of the assembly and controls the parking light, turn signal, low and high beam and flood light. The smaller one has 4 wires and has to be removed after the assembly is partially pulled out. What do these four wires control?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

This is covered in your owners manual--see bulbs, changing.

The extra connector is only on cars with Litronic headlights.

These are self-leveling, which is required by Euro regulations for all HID headlights.

FWIW, same Euro regs also require headlight washers for HID headlights.

In the 986/996 application, the aim of the low beam projector is additionally changed when switching between hi and lo beams.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 10-22-2015 at 07:12 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
stevendalia

Thanks. I looked through the pages in the owner's manual. I was concerned that the connector had something to do with some additional bulbs that are not working. The turn signal (bulb is OK), parking light (also OK), and high beam. I did not check the fog lamps or flood light positions.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevendalia View Post
Thanks. I looked through the pages in the owner's manual. I was concerned that the connector had something to do with some additional bulbs that are not working. The turn signal (bulb is OK), parking light (also OK), and high beam. I did not check the fog lamps or flood light positions.
Check the rear fog lights. Often one is not working. Common issue. (Be cool, fellas)

Also, if you have litronics, there is a small marker lamp in the headlights that I didn't even know was in there.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
stevendalia

Thanks for letting me know. In the rear, I think there is only supposed to be one fog lamp on the driver's side. As for the marker lamp inside the headlamp assembly, I will have to look again.

I did a little more checking. There is no ground on my right front turn signal. I must have disturbed something because it was working, and now some of the other lights don't work. I would bet that that the fault is common to these and a ground is often the issue. I may bite the bullet andbring it to a shop that has done some work for me.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
There is also a small marker light if you don't have litronics. It comes on when you turn the light switch one click. That one click also turns on the tail lights and side markers. Some people would call that running lights, others parking lights.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
stevendalia

Thanks, Tommy. It's a litronic system.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know. In the rear, I think there is only supposed to be one fog lamp on the driver's side. As for the marker lamp inside the headlamp assembly, I will have to look again.

I did a little more checking. There is no ground on my right front turn signal. I must have disturbed something because it was working, and now some of the other lights don't work. I would bet that that the fault is common to these and a ground is often the issue. I may bite the bullet andbring it to a shop that has done some work for me.
Just kidding about rear fogger. It is supposed to be out.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:

Just had fun with my passenger side assembly. I noticed the small running light was not coming on altough I had replaced it with an LED version this summer. I pulled the assembly and pulled the access panel off the back. A good bit of my wiring insulation was disinigrating! The LED was ok but the various wires were shorting each other out.

I pulled all the wiring out (as best I could) and used shrink wrap and electrical tape to insulate the wires.

I put it all back together and...had no headlights on either side! Fogs and parking lights would work just fine.

I had replaced my headlight switch last year (with used unit) and decided to pull it apart and clean it. I put it back together and so far, so good!

Also check the connector receptacle at the back of the headlight assembly tray, It may by loose and not mating with your HL assembly when you put it in place.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
What's the purpose of the marker lights? Mine are both out now, and I only have the xenon bulbs on now when the headlights are switched on. Haven't bothered to replace the marker bulbs cause I see no use for them.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:27 AM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
What's the purpose of the marker lights? Mine are both out now, and I only have the xenon bulbs on now when the headlights are switched on. Haven't bothered to replace the marker bulbs cause I see no use for them.
I love that 2-tone look.

It's just that. A marker light.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #12

Garage
I was informed they were called "City Lights"

City lights: Colloquial city light terminology for front position lamps derives from the practice, formerly adhered to in cities like Moscow, London and Paris, of driving at night in built-up areas using these low-intensity lights rather than headlamps.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
I was informed they were called "City Lights"

City lights: Colloquial city light terminology for front position lamps derives from the practice, formerly adhered to in cities like Moscow, London and Paris, of driving at night in built-up areas using these low-intensity lights rather than headlamps.

Very cool and polite.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Very cool and polite.

I have my moments lol

Also a little trick for those that have litronics like myself and do not care for the light color mismatch between the city light and headlight, you can always upgrade to the LED version of the city light bulb or just pull the bulb out of the housing and take a black sharpie to it, it will match up nicely.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
stevendalia

I'm guessing that it's something like a misaligned pin on the main connector. I will only be able to get to it sometime next week, but I will let everyone know what the outcome is.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
stevendalia

Headlamp sockets

The work was beyond what I wanted to try myself. A bad short could possibly damaged one of the computers, so I brought it to a shop that I trust. They did in fact find a short, a, loose connector plug, and aftermarket lights that did not fit the sockets as they should. As you all know (and now I do), Porsche and Mercedes use lamps with bayonet connectors that are slightly different from the bulbs that other manufacturers use. When I swapped out the lamps (left to right to see if there was a faulty bulb), I noticed it was difficult to get the bulb to fit properly.
Anyway, it's all fixed now. Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone, but it's amazing what can be done with money. I am experience another unrelated problem with the cooling system, and I am posting a new thread for this.
Thanks, again for all the help.