Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

Garage
Rare Battery Warning Light

I got the extremely rare, never seen before, red battery warning light on my way into work this morning. I was about five miles from the office and was at awe about seeing this alarm (actually got a little excited about troubleshooting a problem). It took me a few minutes to realize I needed to turn off the heater fan to conserve battery life but turning the headlights off was not an option since it was still dark. After parking the Jӓgermobile I contemplated having it towed home or driving it home later this afternoon. I thought there was a slight chance of making it home on the battery so what the heck, I’ll have time to sit alongside the road and wait for the tow if the battery didn’t make it.

During mid-morning I ordered a new alternator, because odds are pretty darn good the alternator, having over 282,000 miles on it, gave-up. I could rebuild the original alternator (in fact I probably will) so it will be nice to have another alternator in the Jӓger’s inventory anyway.

The drive home… First thing when I started the motor, the starter did not crank as fast as normal (first clue). The battery alarm light was still on (second clue). After driving about 7 miles the PSM alarm came on (third clue), then the ABS alarm came on (fourth clue), shortly after that, about 10 miles down the road, the Air Bag alarm came on (this is your last and final clue) shortly thereafter the Jӓgermobile shutdown. No more gauges or spark going to the motor, it just died. So I pulled over and called the tow company (I had their number handy… Just in-case).

After getting the Jӓgermobile home I had to use my portable power to connect to the fuse box to open the frunk so I could access the battery. Then I connected the battery charger to it. More troubleshooting tomorrow.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

When the alternator went on the Touareg (interstate) it was battery light, climate, radio, abs, airbags, gauges, then shifting stuck in 4th so had to hit every light, then it all came back to life. Then started dropping off. It had a definite order of importance to each component.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #3

Garage
I installed the new alternator yesterday, the Jӓgermobile is good for another 282,000 miles.:dance:

300K Mile Club
Old 10-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #4

That's good you were able to fix it and had the right diagnosis. That says something about these cars if you have 280K on it and it's still going! It sounds like you maintain it well.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecal View Post
sounds like you maintain it well.
Yeah, any special things done?
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Yeah, any special things done?
I have changed the IMS Bearing twice, original motor, no rebuild. Other than that kept it all original and didn't let any maintenance issues go unattended. Change the oil every 3500 to 4000 miles.

There is a long list of things I have done to this Boxster over the years but the motor has not needed much attention. I have changed the water pump, AOS (four times) and the plugs/coils.

300K Mile Club