986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Roads to Drive? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/5920-roads-drive.html)

Rondog 05-01-2006 10:33 AM

Roads to Drive?

I live in So. Orange County -- Irvine to be specific-- so i apologize upfront to the many of you who won't get this due to the regional nature of the question....

As a new owner of a 987S one of the things that becomes quickly clear is that there are a lot of people who live here.... and way too many traffic lights!!!!!
Seems as if i am forever downshifting for a red light. So.... this begs the question....

....Where do i find some open roads?

For those who live out near me, Santiago Canyon Road from Orange to Lake Forest is a nice little jaunt, but i have never been able to go the whole distance without getting caught behind a truck or a chopper (Cook's Corner - OC's roadhouse bar!) is at the end of that drive.

Anyone else have a favorite road where we can let the hounds loose?

RDog

mach schnell 05-01-2006 11:07 AM

Rondog - I did a great loop a few weeks back - just pulled out the map and played it by ear - originally had planned a lazy drive up the 1 through malibu - but clouds, rain and potentially lots of traffic on the 10 W shifted my plans.

Instead, I headed east on the 10 out towards Coachella - picked up 86S past Salton Sea - great open road, great view. That hits CA 78 (go West) - which at first is two lanes through open desert- a little up and down and you can really have some fun - after a while it climbs into the Anza Borrego National Forest - now the fun really begins - you have mild elevation changes and all the windy roads you can dream of. This stretch brings you in to the back side of soCal wine country (backside of Temecula Valley). You reach a point where you can continue on the 78 into Oceanside or pick up the 79 and swing through more mild elevation changes and great windy roads as you work you way into temecula. you'll eventually hit the 15 and you could take that E, pick up the 74 through ortega canyon and wind your way back through San Juan Capistrano to home in the OC/Irvine. It would be a couple hundred miles of great scenery and fun driving!

Another good drive is to hit Laguna Canyon Road- although it get's pretty busy on weekends!

Lastly, a favorite of mine when I had my crotchrocket was to pick up the 38 in menton and head up the back way into Big Bear - then go all the way across and come down through waterman canyon (think thats the 18). that's a great loop, especially if you can do it during the week - much less traffic - some great scenery and nice little places to stop and eat.

KRZTACO 05-01-2006 11:26 AM

Don't miss out any longer....

You need to take a drive on Ortega HWY!

It's an awesome drive.

Take the 5 south into San Juan Capistrano and make a left. Ortega Hwy 74 takes you over the mountain and drops you into Lake Elsinor.

KRZ

TriGem2k 05-01-2006 11:44 AM

As the weather gets better in Cali I think us SoCal boxster owners should get together and take a nice long drive for a day....Anyone up for it?

KRZTACO 05-01-2006 11:52 AM

I'm in........it's a little cold still, we shoul probably do it in June sometime...... meet at the Newport Coast get-together Sat AM...then cruise Ortega Hwy......we should be done by noon (7AM to noon).

KRZ

TriGem2k 05-01-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRZTACO
I'm in........it's a little cold still, we shoul probably do it in June sometime...... meet at the Newport Coast get-together Sat AM...then cruise Ortega Hwy......we should be done by noon (7AM to noon).

KRZ

KRZ, whats with you and events at the crack of dawn? Im going on my 8th dream 7am on a Saturday. But if everyone is in for that time i guess peer pressure wins :D .

June definitely sounds like a good time to do it, lets see what we can do. Im definitly in...

KRZTACO 05-01-2006 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=TriGem2k]KRZ, whats with you and events at the crack of dawn? Im going on my 8th dream 7am on a Saturday. QUOTE]

Hahaha....that's true. Well, i've found it works best to do something like this ONCE in a while in the AM as many participants have many misc. things going on after 12PM.

KRZ

Rondog 05-01-2006 01:32 PM

Great idea.... sounds like fun....

Hope i can keep up!

RD

mach schnell 05-01-2006 04:37 PM

i'd be down for it as well. we used to go out super early on sunday's for crotchrocket rides to beat the crowds - especially through ortega hwy

TriGem2k 05-01-2006 04:42 PM

am i the only on in cali that doesnt/hasnt been on ortega hwy???

mach schnell 05-01-2006 06:07 PM

triGem - sounds like it! only thing with ortega hwy is that it can get congested, which makes for a slower, more 'enjoy the scenery' drive and it can be a speed trap (tons of folks on bikes and sportscars test their limits here) -lastly, it has been designated the most dangerous road in soCal - not uncommon to have a bike vs car accident or someone not making the turn and becoming one with nature!

smith12895 05-01-2006 08:53 PM

I'd be up for a drive!!

and I haven't been on the Ortega either.

TriGem2k 05-01-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach schnell
triGem - sounds like it! only thing with ortega hwy is that it can get congested, which makes for a slower, more 'enjoy the scenery' drive and it can be a speed trap (tons of folks on bikes and sportscars test their limits here) -lastly, it has been designated the most dangerous road in soCal - not uncommon to have a bike vs car accident or someone not making the turn and becoming one with nature!

Gettin me excited already....Sounds like a place i should be often :D