986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Third Radiator Kit for 986 blows my mind!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59171-third-radiator-kit-986-blows-my-mind.html)

coolbreeze551 10-15-2015 08:46 PM

Third Radiator Kit for 986 blows my mind!!

I was looking on Suncoast parts website the other day and noticed that there was no specific kit for a third radiator on the 986 either for a base model or to replace a damaged S model one. As I was considering purchasing one in the near future for reasons irrelevant to this post I decided to call and inquire. After speaking with a couple of fantastic sales reps I found that maybe I could go with the GT3 version (which should fit according to the salesperson) or wait until another rep calls me back after inquiring further as to part numbers, compatibility, etc...

Much to my surprise I was contacted in less than 24 hours regarding my inquiry and was told that there is a listing on their website for the required 986 gear. Incredible, that a company like them would put something on their website so fast after a quick inquiry with their sales team, just incredible that a company is putting the customers request right to the top of the priority list. I go onto the website to not only find that the 986 kit is the most expensive third radiator kit in their inventory it is double and even close to triple the price of other third radiator kits they carry. WTF?! Am I wrong in thinking that this is crazy? There are 991 kits and 997 kits for a fraction of the cost :barf: and it is not making sense in my little financial p-brain. I have written to Suncoast inquiring about this price discrepancy (once to the salesperson directly and another to a general mailbox) but the salesperson confirmed that it's not a glitch I imagine I will get back a bunch of "sorry, that is unfortunate" type of stuff from the general box so can someone explain this to me because I haven't a clue? Maybe I am underestimating the shift in the supply and demand equilibrium for this product/vehicle or even worse an underlying paradigm shift that I was unaware of?

Sorry about the rant, stuff like this gets me wound up sometimes.

JayG 10-15-2015 08:59 PM

http://wrm5sysfkg-flywheel.netdna-ss...nd-Trends1.jpg

coolbreeze551 10-15-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 470039)

JayG was able to snap a picture of me when I saw the price difference.

Timco 10-15-2015 09:59 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif

Having said that, total gouge.

coolbreeze551 10-15-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 470042)

Aaaahhh, looks like Timco took a gif of me as I wrote the message to Suncoast.

steved0x 10-16-2015 03:47 AM

I don't know the price but pelican should have the 3rd radiator kit for 986, go to 101projects.com, boxster, then 3rd radiator project.

mikesz 10-16-2015 04:17 AM

I just installed 3rd radiator in my 99.

$175 for the center radiator complete with brackets ready to bolt on from someone parting an S out.

$100 for S coolant pipes both sides complete from the radiators to the hard pipes in center of the car. I only needed the Y pipes so going to put what I didn't need back on ebay and try to recoup some $$

$100 for Precision Chassis to weld adapters on non S pipes. I know there are cheaper alternatives but this was the path of least resistance since I don't have a lift.

$20 for Boxster coolant pipes from Woody to send to Precision so my down time with the car was minimized.

so total cost was $395 and it took me about a day to install at a leisurely pace and I plan on trying to sell the coolant hoses/pipes that I didn't need to try to recoup some money.

Timco 10-16-2015 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesz (Post 470054)
I just installed 3rd radiator in my 99.

$175 for the center radiator complete with brackets ready to bolt on from someone parting an S out.

$100 for S coolant pipes both sides complete from the radiators to the hard pipes in center of the car. I only needed the Y pipes so going to put what I didn't need back on ebay and try to recoup some $$

$100 for Precision Chassis to weld adapters on non S pipes. I know there are cheaper alternatives but this was the path of least resistance since I don't have a lift.

$20 for Boxster coolant pipes from Woody to send to Precision so my down time with the car was minimized.

so total cost was $395 and it took me about a day to install at a leisurely pace and I plan on trying to sell the coolant hoses/pipes that I didn't need to try to recoup some money.

Did you pick an S bumper or cut the opening and install a splitter?

rick3000 10-16-2015 09:44 AM

I added one for about the same cost as mikesz. I got a radiator with the brackets, bolts and duct for $130, another $130 to have the hard lines modified, then about $250 on the hoses, OEM trim and other parts (hose clamps, speed clips, etc)

If I was going to do it again, I would replace the bumper, cutting the base bumper, then cutting 19 slots for the OEM trim piece was a huge PITA.

lkchris 10-16-2015 11:17 AM

Front bumper on my base was in pretty bad shape and needed repair and painting, so I just found an S bumper for my body shop to paint, mostly because I like the styling. I've installed a center radiator simply to protect the otherwise exposed aircon line. No need whatsoever for the extra cooling so don't intend to hook it up.

JayG 10-16-2015 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 470084)
Front bumper on my base was in pretty bad shape and needed repair and painting, so I just found an S bumper for my body shop to paint, mostly because I like the styling. I've installed a center radiator simply to protect the otherwise exposed aircon line. No need whatsoever for the extra cooling so don't intend to hook it up.

Extra cooling can never hurt

ianacole 10-16-2015 02:05 PM

I've been eyeing this kit: Boxster GT3 Radiator Kit. A little more expensive than the DIY's from above... and apparently more than the Suncoast kit. Glad I happened to check.

The Pelican kit is over $1100!!!

mikesz 10-17-2015 03:40 AM

I replaced the front bumper with a 2000 911 and removed the "moustache" so the lower "slot" is wide open now. At some point I will need to get it painted to match the car. car is arctic silver and I think the 911 bumper is seal grey. I have a factory front bra on the car now so its not noticeable. money is tight and I live in the northeast so car will soon be put away for the winter and I will have it painted in the spring. I got nervous when it was 95 degrees and I was stuck in traffic, I could see the car getting hot. I had already replaced both fans, water pump, and low temp thermostat and coolant.

Deadeye 10-18-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianacole (Post 470091)
I've been eyeing this kit: Boxster GT3 Radiator Kit. A little more expensive than the DIY's from above... and apparently more than the Suncoast kit. Glad I happened to check.

The Pelican kit is over $1100!!!

I have a '01 boxster S w/ 33K miles that I am parting. I can sell you all those parts for $350.00 + shipping

coolbreeze551 10-20-2015 03:05 PM

My plan is to replace the front bumper with a polyurethane updated one with hooked up to update the look of the car as well as provide the opening needed.

mikesz 10-21-2015 04:49 AM

where was Deadeye when I need him? and local too! timing is everything!

lkchris 10-22-2015 09:08 AM

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/45344-boxsterboxster-s-coolant-system-differences/