986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What next? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59162-what-next.html)

flouese 10-15-2015 04:18 AM

What next?

Changed my oil, started up the car (99 base) and the CEL is shinning brightly (not flashing). I have no history on the car and it has 165k miles. I paid $5k for it knowing I would have to put some money into it.

Pull out my reader and got the following codes:
- P0130 O2 sensor ahead of the catalytic converter (cyl 1-3) Intercore short circuit or limited
- P0150 O2 sensor ahead of the catalytic converter (cyl 4-6) Intercore short circuit or limited
- P0305, 0305 & 0306 misfire cyl 4-6 Damaging catalytic converter
- P0506 Idle air control -idle speed too low (note been idling at between 1000-1200 rpm)
- P1316, 1317, 1318 Misfire Cyl 4-6 Emission relevant
- P1319 misfire, emission relevant

Not code related, I discovered during the oil change that there is a coolant leak from the top of a hose on the right rear of the vehicle.

What is the most pressing that need immediate attention? Where do I start and which is the most economical issue to start with. Too many other house projects in progress and I don't want to break the bank.

HELP! Any direction and assistance will be appreciated. Don't want the wife to see the car as a paperweight taking up space in my driveway.

Joe B 10-15-2015 04:28 AM

Sounds like a trip to a dealer or a reputable independent shop might be the next step :rolleyes:.

alm001 10-15-2015 04:33 AM

The light only came on after the oil change?

If all those codes came up at once, I would start looking for electronics that got wet.

jcslocum 10-15-2015 05:50 AM

I would clear the codes and see what comes back. O2 sensors are a maintenance item that do need to be replaced so it looks like your first 2 are dead. Maybe they are not plugged in?? they are easy to get to.

Is the engine running smoothly or missing??

flouese 10-15-2015 05:56 AM

Engine runs smoothly and fires right up. Does appear to idle a bit high at about 1100-1200 RPM.
When I get home, I'll clear the codes and see what returns.

flouese 10-16-2015 05:26 AM

I cleared all the codes yesterday, put 50+ miles on it and the CEL did not come back on. I think just to be prudent, I'll take it in and have it given the once over. I'm sure I will dread hearing the results ($$$), however... it's probably the best course of action to take.

thstone 10-16-2015 10:33 AM

For future reference, misfires are the most important issue in the above list and should be promptly diagnosed and repaired as continuing to drive an engine with consistent misfires can cause damage. O2 sensors and high idle are emission related and are not as critical.

Good to hear that the codes haven't returned. I suggest buying lottery tickets this week as it seems that you are on a good luck streak! :)

Perfectlap 10-16-2015 10:58 AM

your coil packs are probably on their last legs by now too. That's the only time I ever had a misfire CEL, I put it off for a bit too long.
Before you pour heaps of money into this car have a compression and leakdown test done. A car with no history is probably one that hasn't had much maintenance.

As far as most economical that might save your engine, order the latest version coolant cap. Don't flush the coolant without a new one. Air will get in the system and split your old brittle plastic tank...small leak... turns into a dump of all your coolant on the street.

jcslocum 10-16-2015 02:27 PM

i would just drive it and see if it pops any codes.

NewArt 10-16-2015 02:35 PM

Start by checking the ignition coils for cracks. If moisture gets in, this is one cause for misfires.

Giller 10-16-2015 02:38 PM

You paid $5K for the car. There are lots of cars out there for $5K that will last years and years - just a matter of luck and timing. This might be the one.

I'd be tempted to save my money, (ie just do some basic needed maintenance) and run it till it dies. Once you start putting money into it, it can be hard to stop.

NewArt 10-16-2015 06:47 PM

BTW, you can pick up used coils at your local indy for a fraction of the price.

flouese 10-18-2015 12:44 PM

Thanks all for the advise.