Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

OEM vs. Aftermarket front bumpers????? asking for opinions and experiences

I need a front bumper (and all trim/ grills) for a 98 (maroon)....
So I'd like your opinions...

Mine came w a damaged fg aftermarket one (GT3?)

I'm asking people out there, anybody had a "good" aftermarket one?

I'd really like to go stock (i.e. low key), but$$$.

lmao@me

Thanks. Matt

Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
If you like the design of the bumper that is on it, consider having it repaired at a pro body shop. In most cases, they can make it like new for less than the cost of buying and painting a new one.
I have bought two new bumpers from an online dealer and both worked out well for fit and condition. These are just a bare primed bumper with no trim:

I paid about $400 shipped for an 'S' model style and painted it myself (I have a big compressor and pro paint gun). For the non-S style I got it for under $300 shipped, using a 20% off e-mail coupon. That one I had professionally painted for $$.
These bumpers are for an '03-'04 model and they fit the same as the earlier ones, but the cooling intake is designed differently and I could not find a good source for the grill trim. I ended up just putting mesh over the intakes:
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:15 AM   #3

Garage
I have a 99 and just added an S center radiator and a 2000 911 bumper
Old 10-14-2015, 03:31 AM   #4

I purchased a GT3-look fibreglass aftermarket front bumper cover for my 986. From my experience with aftermarket fibreglass parts, you generally get what you pay for so, I didn't go with the cheapest one out there and I paid a decent amount for this cover but it wasn't the most expensive option out there either. When it arrived, the fitment wasn't perfect (you have to expect that with fibreglass); she needed to be profiled quite abit to get the gaps to line up correctly and fitment where it meets up with the side-marker lights needed ALOT of work. Does it look good? You bet! But I spent more on the labor to fit the fibreglass cover than purchasing the cover.

That said, if you're not a stickler about fitment (in my case we're talking 1/8" to 1/4" off) and you have a black vehicle (my 986 is white), I'm sure no one would notice and she would still get a lot of looks & compliments. In the end, it's your money so spend it how you like.
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #5

Yep those are the ones I was finding, so they are ok?

got picts w the mesh?
thx

Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote