Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Question Seat back latch stuck

Having an issue with a stuck seat-back on my 99 boxster. My seats have a power recline but fore-aft etc is manual.

The power recline works properly. However, the mechanical seat-back latch/unlatch isn't working on the driver side. I can push the lever (see attached pic) and it moves but the seat back won't move forward.

Any recommendations for how to fix this? I googled and searched here but didn't see any tips/tricks for un-sticking or disassembling the seat latch.

geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Garage
Try unlatching using both releases (one each side of head rest) at the same time and see if that works for you.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #3

Garage
I have a similar issue with my '98. I drive with the seat bottom all the way back, the back rest gets jammed against the engine fire wall and will not release when the lever is raised. If I move the seat forward a bit taking pressure off the back it will release.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the recommendations! I've tried sliding both seat levers at once and they both move relatively freely in tandem and it "feels" like they are engaging some internal mechanism. But the seat back remains locked.

I'm only 5'7" and the seat is not pushed back against the firewall. Not sure about the PO but the seat back was not pressed against the firewall when I took ownership.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
I have a similar issue with my '98. I drive with the seat bottom all the way back, the back rest gets jammed against the engine fire wall and will not release when the lever is raised. If I move the seat forward a bit taking pressure off the back it will release.
+1 Same here
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #6

Seat latch

Did you ever get the seat latch problem figured out? I took out the drivers seat to fix the bottom cushion and folded it all the way forward. Now the seat won’t unlatch and go back up. Don’t want to put seat back in until it releases. Any advice? Thx
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:09 AM   #7

I've been refinishing the seats and have them removed. The seat back latch started working again for awhile.... But is now stuck again. Not sure how it unstuck itself and why it's stuck again now. I may try gently tapping the seat in various orientations to see if that has something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Did you ever get the seat latch problem figured out? I took out the drivers seat to fix the bottom cushion and folded it all the way forward. Now the seat won’t unlatch and go back up. Don’t want to put seat back in until it releases. Any advice? Thx
Old 04-08-2022, 06:36 AM   #8

I know this is an old post but I can't seem to find much about this issue. My passenger seat will not latch in the standard (?) position. It falls forward about a foot but won't release to go forward farther. I have moved the seat bottom forward and the more I move it forward the farther the top portion reclines but never latches.

I can take apart the entire seat if needed but was wondering if someone else has come across this and found a fix.

Thanks

Last edited by dsallean; 04-08-2022 at 08:20 AM.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #9

Still living w/it for now

Vehicle is in Winter storage, but tried tapping/jostling and repositioning the seat all last season and it remained latched.

Wish I knew why it worked for awhile -- and then subsequently locked again. Don't want to take the seat apart to fix it. Have used the power recline knob to (slowly) accomplish what I need for now.

Hoping that someone will have a good tip/trick for resolving this in the future.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #10

The latch release must operate by cable. My guess is the cable is dislodged or broken or something. I'm pretty sure I will at least need to take off the side hinge cover to see what's going on but I think that might require me to remove the seat anyway. Just hoping to avoid all that.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
Vehicle is in Winter storage, but tried tapping/jostling and repositioning the seat all last season and it remained latched.

Wish I knew why it worked for awhile -- and then subsequently locked again. Don't want to take the seat apart to fix it. Have used the power recline knob to (slowly) accomplish what I need for now.

Hoping that someone will have a good tip/trick for resolving this in the future.
I'm jealous of how good your seats look in the first post in this thread!
Old 04-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

It is a cable that goes through the seat down to the pivots. Not that hard to take the seat out and clean/lightly oil the pivots, release & catch. Now if the cable actually snapped/broke....that will be a pain to do cause you will have to remove the leather covers to get to it.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
It is a cable that goes through the seat down to the pivots. Not that hard to take the seat out and clean/lightly oil the pivots, release & catch. Now if the cable actually snapped/broke....that will be a pain to do cause you will have to remove the leather covers to get to it.
Thanks, I sorta figured it was inevitable.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #14

Update: I did manage to get it working again by holding the power recline button down for a few cycles and something "clicked" into place. I am just happy I didn't have to take the seat apart.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:10 AM   #15

It might happen again.....but at least you know it's possible to attempt a fix without pulling the seat. I really wouldn't be surprised if your issue arises again.

Personally, I almost never use the back release my driver's seat....I never need to because there's really no room for much of anything.