Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #1

bluetooth for CDR 220

Hi All,

just got a 2001 986. I'd like to install a bluetooth unit to the radio but here's the problem. my unit has the CD changer in the trunk, which i would like to keep functioning. To use the stereo system for the bluetooth everything I've read says you need to create an AUX IN using the CD changer socket, which would then disable the changer. Can you use the telephone tap on the back of the radio instead, and if so what would you need to do this and how does the bluetooth have to be wired.

Thanks
IraG

irag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #2

I think it might be easier, cleaner, and cheaper to replace the CDR with a new head unit which has Bluetooth, AUX, MP3 player support already built in, you can find them for less than $200
You will loose the CD changer, but then again in the times of iPhones and MP3 players I think the last time I listened to a CD in my car was like 5 years ago ......
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #3

thanks, i though about that, but i'm still a little old school. i looked on the Cructchfield website and emailed them a note about this to see if they had a unit with bluetooth and CD changer control. waiting for an answer. I think i might have to come into the 21st century and opt for the IPOD solution.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
WV Boxster

Garage
Be careful on the CD changer hook up. I have been down this road and nothing but the OEM will run the changer. Maybe someone else has more info but I ended up switching tothe21st
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #5

Bluetooth

I just got an auxilliary cable that plugs into the back of the CDR-220 where the 6 cd changer plugs in. Then you can stream from any MP3 device, Iphone, or Ipod or whatever. Also, I am hearing impaired, so I use my phone through the aux input and the speakers help me hear the caller.
Stephan Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #6

I am also hearing impaired, which is why it's important for me to have the bluetooth play thru the speakers. from what I'm finding out it's either keep the CD changer and no bluetooth thru the speakers or get a new bluetooth enabled radio. looks like it's going to be the later. Anyone have suggestions for a good bluetooth radio unit. i was looking at some on Crutchfield, run around $200.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #7

Garage
Actually, you can set up a Bluetooth device through the phone input, but you will not be able to play stereo music via Bluetooth if you want to keep the CD changer functional.

I have my CDR-220 wired up with both phone and stereo Bluetooth, and they definitely use different inputs. You could just hook up the phone input, and leave your cd changer connected. In fact, the CDR-220 displays "PHONE" while on a call, and will mute any other music source while the call is in progress.

If you're interested, I can get you the BT device model when I get home tonight.
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #8

Thanks i would appreciate that not really interested in music via phone
Old 03-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #9

Garage
I have the Motorola T605, which I got on amazon for about $40:

Amazon.com: Motorola T605 Bluetooth Music Car Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories

You'll also need a wire from Becker that plugs into the phone port on the back of the radio, which you would then wire up to the T605.

Do you need OEM radio parts??

You'll also need the radio removal keys to get the radio out, which you can get on eBay or straight from Becker.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'm happy to help.
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #10

thanks,

i found a company that sells wiring harness to use with a few different bluetooh
units which would allow me to keep my Becker radio and also keep the CD changer. still not sure if i want a complete new radio or not.
here's the link for the harnesses if anyone needs one.

BT-BEHF2 Motorola & Parrot Installation harness for Becker Radios :: Bluetooth :: Discount Car Stereo
Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
life's too short to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by irag View Post
thanks,

i found a company that sells wiring harness to use with a few different bluetooh
units which would allow me to keep my Becker radio and also keep the CD changer. still not sure if i want a complete new radio or not.
here's the link for the harnesses if anyone needs one.

BT-BEHF2 Motorola & Parrot Installation harness for Becker Radios :: Bluetooth :: Discount Car Stereo
Did it work?
I don't mind to lose the cd changer in the boot, but I really want to do Bluetooth streaming from my iPhone to the radio.

Are you able to achieve this?

Many thanks

Ibout is offline   Reply With Quote