Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Me: 1 AOS: 0

I won! A skinned knuckle and a few coins in the swear jar, but I got the new AOS installed!

Took about 3 hours, but I didn't know what I was doing even though I read up on it here, Rennlist, on Pedro's Garage, 101 Projects and the Bentley manual. I couldn't even figure out how to remove the clips on the sides - and still don't know how to do it. I just stretched the clips with a screwdriver and muscled them off. 101 Projects says to remove the rear wheel for access. Well that didn't help at all with my '03. I bought one of those cable actuated clamp removal tools but I couldn't get a good bite on the lower clamp, hence the bloody knuckles and swearing. The clamp on the engine side of the hose was open so I removed the clamp there. The two bolts were on tight with little access for my T-handle hex wrench. But somehow, I managed to break them free and the AOS popped off (also undid the engine ground wire for better access). I hope there's not a next time, but if there is, I think I can do it in under an hour.

I threw a couple of lean mixture CELs - and search prompted me to the AOS. I didn't have any other symptoms of an AOS - rough idle, smoke, etc., except for I couldn't get the oil cap off.

But now that it's changed, the car feels faster and it seems to rev quicker - just my imagination or does a bad AOS affect performance???

But overall, 6 years of ownership, about 12k miles and I've only replaced the tires, the engine mount, and now the AOS. So far, I've dodged the $2k/year maintenance expense. Now that I've said that, my IMS will probably go out

Last edited by Gforrest2; 10-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Nice work! I love hearing these stories. I have an 04 S and I have taken on some projects on that I didn't think I could finish. I have changed:

engine and transmission mounts, clutch booster spring, installed a sprint booster, replaced rubber brake lines with stainless steel braided lines, brake pads, door latch mechanism, oil changes, installed the LN oil filter adapter and magnetic drain plug, cabin air filter, engine air filter, new clear side lights, replaced wheel center caps, cleaned MAF, replaced battery, removed ugly decals from sun visors and replaced the mirror inserts, installed Pedro's Bluetooth kit, flushed compartment drains, replaced spark plugs, removed front bumper to clean radiators, replaced gas cap and coolant cap with the latest part numbers, installed Pedro's under drive pulley and replaced the serpentine belt, new ignition switch, replaced the dash speakers with Alpine SPS-410s, replaced transmission fluid and also installed 2nd gear detent, replaced e gas pedal and potentiometer and have spent many hours polishing the paint. Oh yeah, one of the best things I like about the car now is the Fabspeed exhaust and headers that I had installed for me by my local indy. Love it. IMS and RMS have also been done along with a new clutch.

I love this car and it is a joy to work on although my swear jar is full now.

Here a few things that I want to do in the coming months:
treat the top with Raggtop
Pedro's Technobrace (didn't buy it yet)
Stainless steel lugs
respray front bumper
Headlights - I bought the GT projectors from Pelican Parts
Install Fabspeed's V-Flow air intake system (sitting in my garage)
ECU tuned
Have rims repainted
Take out driver's side seat and inspect the immobilizer

I have only owned this car for 6 months. This is my first Porsche and I will keep it for a long time.

Without this Forum, I wouldn't have been able to do most of this work. Special thanks to Woody for his endless supply of parts, Pedro for his website, tech articles and products and all the other folks on this site who have supplied a wealth of knowledge.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Wow! 6 months? I got tired just reading all you've done. My next project will be a preemptive replacement of the water pump, under drive pulley and low temp thermostat. And at 13 years old and 93k miles, I would imagine my suspension could use a little freshening up.