986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Please recommend a battery tender for a 2007 boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59022-please-recommend-battery-tender-2007-boxster.html)

lurky 10-05-2015 05:17 AM

Please recommend a battery tender for a 2007 boxster

Hi,
I am going to garage my boxster soon. for the last few years I have been removing the battery but this has led to problems I wont get into. This year I plan to leave it in and get a battery tender. DO I have to get one from posrsche? Or are they available from Amazon ? Thanks

schnellman 10-05-2015 05:52 AM

C-TEK. If you like paying a lot of money, you can get one with "PORSCHE" on the front. Or, you can get the exact same one with "C-TEK" on the front for half the price. Remember, you want a battery tender and not just a charger. I've used my C-TEK for seven winters, using the cigarette lighter adapter. It works perfectly.

jdraupp 10-05-2015 06:16 AM

I use the battery tender junior by deltran. 25 bucks works like a charm and she fired right up in the spring.

tommy583 10-05-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 468750)
I use the battery tender junior by deltran. 25 bucks works like a charm and she fired right up in the spring.

I have used this one for 5 years. Works great.

Joe B 10-05-2015 07:16 AM

I too use the CTEK and really like it. They make a special one for cold climates which is good for where I live.

mump 10-05-2015 08:35 AM

I like my CTEK too.

WillH 10-05-2015 08:52 AM

I've been using the bt junior for years on many things. Just don't leave it plugged in on lithium batteries, once up to full, unplug and remove. Hook it up in a week or two or three, repeat as needed.

lurky 10-05-2015 09:26 AM

>>>I've been using the bt junior for years on many things. Just don't leave it plugged in on lithium batteries, once up to full, unplug and remove. Hook it up in a week or two or three, repeat as needed.

HI I thought the point of a battery tender is that you leave it plugged in and it charges as needed??

cas951 10-05-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mump (Post 468769)
I like my CTEK too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 468757)
I too use the CTEK and really like it. They make a special one for cold climates which is good for where I live.

Which model do you have? Just curious.

I've been using battery tender junior for several years and have been happy with it. It is probably > 8 years old so I should replace it soon.

Luckyed 10-05-2015 10:46 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Deltran-Cigarette-081-0069-5/dp/B003CJ927I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Luckyed 10-05-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillH (Post 468771)
I've been using the bt junior for years on many things. Just don't leave it plugged in on lithium batteries, once up to full, unplug and remove. Hook it up in a week or two or three, repeat as needed.

The tender senses when the battery is fully charges and automatically goes into "maintenance mode"

WillH 10-05-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyed (Post 468780)
The tender senses when the battery is fully charges and automatically goes into "maintenance mode"

Problem is the lead acid battery tender won't sense it on the lithium ion batteries and will overcharge and kill your very expensive lightweight battery.
You need a battery specific tender.
BatteryStuff Articles | Can I Use a Battery Tender on my Shorai Battery?

WillH 10-05-2015 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurky (Post 468773)
>>>I've been using the bt junior for years on many things. Just don't leave it plugged in on lithium batteries, once up to full, unplug and remove. Hook it up in a week or two or three, repeat as needed.

HI I thought the point of a battery tender is that you leave it plugged in and it charges as needed??

That's the general idea. Just keep in mind what kind of tender and what kind of batteries you plan on using it for. Different types of batteries require different kinds of chargers/ tenders.

derfo 10-05-2015 01:26 PM

Ctek

I have 2 CTEK. My Boxster has one on for 6 months over winter. No probs excellent device.

Joe B 10-05-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 468775)
Which model do you have?

Battery Chargers - CTEK Battery Chargers MUS 4.3 POLAR

Topless 10-05-2015 07:42 PM

Ctek is tried and true as a reliable tender for lead acid batteries. Just plug it in and forget it until spring.

Only crazy motorsport types like me use 5 lb lithium batteries that require special care and feeding. ;) I don't recommend leaving them in your car at all for winterizing but rather remove and store separately. I have a NOCO battery charger maintainer designed to charge lead acid, AGM, and lithium, batteries with their specific needs. The trouble is, this is a very smart charger with microprocessor technology to sense your battery type and condition. In a power outage it may lose it's memory and software crash... no charging taking place at all. I like it but keep it in the garage where I keep a close eye on it.

JFP in PA 10-06-2015 02:05 AM

Ctek make a specific maintainer for Li batteries that works just like all their other, plug it in and forget about it.

mump 10-06-2015 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 468775)
Which model do you have? Just curious.

I've been using battery tender junior for several years and have been happy with it. It is probably > 8 years old so I should replace it soon.

Ctek US 3300, I think I got it from Amazon.

cas951 10-06-2015 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mump (Post 468875)
Ctek US 3300, I think I got it from Amazon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 468822)

Thanks. I will definitely get one of these.

Rob175 10-07-2015 05:50 AM

My trickle charger of choice is the BatteryMinder brand. But I'm sure both Battery Minder and Battery Tender are the same. Living in Chicago I seldom dirve my Boxster in the winter, except for the nicest of sunny winter days with no salt on the road so I keep it on the charger ALL winter and actually most of the summer too. My batteries typically last 8 to 9 years in doing so.

I run the pigtail connection next to the drivers side windshield wiper shaft. It lays nicely in the molding and is mostly hidden from view. I wanted to make it easy to get to so I can easily plug it in after driving.

I also have my motorcycle connected to a second BatteryMinder and I follow the same proceedure with it. It's orginal OEM battery is 7 years old and still starts the cycle without issue.