986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Touch up paint ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59011-touch-up-paint.html)

Fintro11 10-03-2015 06:29 PM

Touch up paint ?

What have you guys used ? I have a few dings i would not mind covering

any opinions on Porsche Arctic Silver Metallic 92T x1 92U x1 Scratchwizard Touch Up Paint Kit | eBay

JayG 10-03-2015 06:42 PM

If its road rash, Dr Colorchip works well and is very easy to use

aczyzewski 10-03-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 468659)
If its road rash, Dr Colorchip works well and is very easy to use

I agree...

EJ-Fresno 10-04-2015 06:41 AM

I was about to create a thread on the same topic...
Some a**hole scratched my bumper with his key yesterday. I used Turtle Swirl Remover but no luck as the scratch is too deep.
Can it be fixed with touch-up paint? Or I'll have to paint the bumper?
Is it worth putting the extra $$ for the Porsche touch-up paint or "any" product will do the job?
Thanks.

Fintro11 10-04-2015 11:14 AM

Search ammo nyc on YouTube they do a pretty good video of using bondo to fill then touch up paint

BoxsterSteve 10-04-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintro11 (Post 468694)
Search ammo nyc on YouTube they do a pretty good video of using bondo to fill then touch up paint

I've watched that vid before.
That turned out quite well, considering how badly that vehicle was keyed.

EJ-Fresno 10-05-2015 12:25 PM

I don't feel like I can do this kind of surgery without damaging the whole bumper :(
I am going to ask for some quotes tonight, hopefully it won't hurt too much...

jakeru 10-05-2015 07:49 PM

I'm using factory Porsche touch-up lacquer.

It came in a set of base coat + clear coat bottles. Not sure how practical it will be to use the clear, but the color match is good.

Leveling the touch-up blob is the hardest part that I'm working on.

I touched up several dozen chips on the front of my hood. I was initially going to try using razor blades to peel off the top part of the blob that sticks up, but there is quite a learning curve there which I didn't feel the patience to master. I remember having a car before where I did it and it worked well. But also on that car I remember "digging in" a couple times with the razor, which is NOT pretty.

So now I picked up a car pro "denim" paint leveling pad that is actually originally intended for orange peel removal. I read someone tried it for removing touch up paint blobs with good results. Looking forward to trying it. Plan on just using it with a "light touch" to try and not necessarily alter the orange peel texture too much, but just removing the mounded-up touch up paint blobs, and then using polishing compound afterward.

Although I do have a factory aero kit (fiberglass) rear lid that has some pretty bad orange peel I'm awfully tempted to try taking the car pro denim pad to.

EJ-Fresno 10-05-2015 07:59 PM

The 2 shops I have been to today are asking for $750. They recommend painting the whole bumper (obviously) saying the local touch-up only would ruin the whole bumper...
I think I will give a try to the dr colorchip at first. Or this will be useless for key scratches?

jakeru 10-05-2015 08:21 PM

The bumpers are made of urethane - no rust to worry about at least.

I had a gash in the side of my rear bumper, where I think someone backed up into something like a rockery. I didn't have bondo, so mixed up some epoxy and filled it up, and I filed down the high spots with a razor. Not done yet, still need to work on it. Was going to see if I can repair it somehow with the factory touch-up. The epoxy is super durable. Hope I can find a good way to smooth it.

jcslocum 10-06-2015 09:25 AM

I have touch up paint from automotive touch up with the base color and clearcoat. I put on 3 coats of color and then 2 coats of clear to fill the deep scratch on the door of our Box. I then wet sanded the scratch area to knock down anything that was high and reveal only what was low. Filled the low spots with more clear and then wet sanded it back again. Then polished and have yet to wax. It will look great from 3 feet.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psfkxwmrod.jpg

Sanded back just a bit. more to sand...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...pshmxeqk5n.jpg

aczyzewski 10-06-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 468859)
The 2 shops I have been to today are asking for $750. They recommend painting the whole bumper (obviously) saying the local touch-up only would ruin the whole bumper...
I think I will give a try to the dr colorchip at first. Or this will be useless for key scratches?

Try it yourself first. I just finished repairing a scratch on the front fender that looked like PO hardtop misfire. After 4 or 5 layers of DrC over time it looks acceptable and smooth to the touch. Used the rest on road rash etc. I'm pleased. Also, a little goes a long way. Don't over buy. Experiment till you find your technique. No penalty for a mistake, you can use the solution to undo anything.

fins 10-07-2015 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeru (Post 468858)
I'm using factory Porsche touch-up lacquer.

It came in a set of base coat + clear coat bottles. Not sure how practical it will be to use the clear, but the color match is good.

Leveling the touch-up blob is the hardest part that I'm working on.

I touched up several dozen chips on the front of my hood. I was initially going to try using razor blades to peel off the top part of the blob that sticks up, but there is quite a learning curve there which I didn't feel the patience to master. I remember having a car before where I did it and it worked well. But also on that car I remember "digging in" a couple times with the razor, which is NOT pretty.

So now I picked up a car pro "denim" paint leveling pad that is actually originally intended for orange peel removal. I read someone tried it for removing touch up paint blobs with good results. Looking forward to trying it. Plan on just using it with a "light touch" to try and not necessarily alter the orange peel texture too much, but just removing the mounded-up touch up paint blobs, and then using polishing compound afterward.

Although I do have a factory aero kit (fiberglass) rear lid that has some pretty bad orange peel I'm awfully tempted to try taking the car pro denim pad to.

Langka.com