986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New axles (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59009-new-axles.html)

Jamesp 10-03-2015 01:07 PM

New axles

I bought 2 new axles on closeout maybe a year ago in anticipation of changing out my 2003 S manual axles. Pulled my axles today, and found the replacements are about 3 or 4 inches too short. The ends are identical, the actual shaft is just too short. Could these be for a tip?

Timco 10-03-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 468629)
I bought 2 new axles on closeout maybe a year ago in anticipation of changing out my 2003 S manual axles. Pulled my axles today, and found the replacements are about 3 or 4 inches too short. The ends are identical, the actual shaft is just too short. Could these be for a tip?

I'll bet so, or an earlier trans. You know the cv joints do kinda expand out?

Sisu guy 10-03-2015 01:39 PM

They are probably for a base model. I believe the axles for an S are longer.

Jamesp 10-03-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 468633)
I'll bet so, or an earlier trans. You know the cv joints do kinda expand out?

I've made that mistake once! The boots are clamped to the axle shaft 3 to four inches closer together. No way they could stretch that far. Ordered 2 from Advance Auto @ $70 Each, will be here early next week. Did get the Swepco 201 into the trans. Was surprised to see it is bright blue!

Pdwight 10-03-2015 06:15 PM

Short Axles

These are for an automatic transmission, manual ones are a good bit longer

NewArt 10-04-2015 05:55 AM

Ironic, when I went looking for axles for my tip, the only ones I found were "original Porsche" at about $800 a side! Aftermarket axles are only for manual transmissions, it seems. If they are for an automatic, I'm sure you can sell them for at least what you paid. Maybe more.

Jamesp 10-04-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 468679)
Ironic, when I went looking for axles for my tip, the only ones I found were "original Porsche" at about $800 a side! Aftermarket axles are only for manual transmissions, it seems. If they are for an automatic, I'm sure you can sell them for at least what you paid. Maybe more.

Not as much as you might think. I paid $35 a side shipping included, so $70 for both. I'm trying to give them away (pick up just east of Houston) in the parts section and no one appears interested. Seems a shame but they will end up in the trash if there are no takers.

dghii 10-04-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 468679)

I have a set of used Tip axles from a 2001 S. In good shape with no tears of noise. PM me if you are interested. I have no use for them and will let them go very reasonable.

Jamesp 10-04-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 468705)
I have a set of used Tip axles from a 2001 S. In good shape with no tears of noise. PM me if you are interested. I have no use for them and will let them go very reasonable.

I have a set of brand new (2013, still in box) tip axles I'm trying to hawk too. I'll let them go very reasonably, free!. Come pick em up! Heck, they might even fit!

NewArt 10-04-2015 07:36 PM

Gee, I was looking for a reason to take a drive... Let's see, Montreal to Houston would be only a few hours, right?
And lord knows how much it would cost to ship something like that...guess I'm doomed to rebuilding my old ones: up to my neck in CV muck!

NewArt 10-04-2015 07:40 PM

Any idea of the dimensions and weight of such a package? Who knows, maybe it's worth while. :)

78F350 10-04-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 468719)
Any idea of the dimensions and weight of such a package? Who knows, maybe it's worth while. :)

I'm waiting for a reply from Jamesp and have a local friend to pick them up and deliver to me. I probably just need one. I think I still have your address in my FedEx account....