986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Trunk Lid Emblem (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58974-trunk-lid-emblem.html)

Edder B 09-30-2015 10:10 AM

Trunk Lid Emblem

I just bought a 2001 Boxster Base and have "Porsche" on the rear trunk lid. I've only seen "Boxster" or "Boxster S" on other cars. So my question is, was this a stock emblem or something the PO may have changed?

Luv2Box 09-30-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edder B (Post 468346)
I just bought a 2001 Boxster Base and have "Porsche" on the rear trunk lid. I've only seen "Boxster" or "Boxster S" on other cars. So my question is, was this a stock emblem or something the PO may have changed?

To my knowledge "PORSCHE" was not on the trunk of the early Boxsters, so unless this is an unusual situation it was added by the PO.

JayG 09-30-2015 10:42 AM

not factory. installed by PO
it does add at least 10 hp

Dlirium 09-30-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 468350)
not factory. installed by PO
it does add at least 10 hp

Only 10hp on the "S". Less on the non-S model

tomonomics 09-30-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 468354)
Only 10hp on the "S". Less on the non-S model

I've heard that if the PORSCHE letters were properly applied to match the radius of the rear spoiler that you can get up to 12 extra HP on the S. :cheers:

Duezzer 09-30-2015 11:51 AM

I've heard that if the PORSCHE letters were properly applied to match the radius of the rear spoiler that you can get up to 12 extra HP on the S.

What about the base?

Dlirium 09-30-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomonomics (Post 468355)
I've heard that if the PORSCHE letters were properly applied to match the radius of the rear spoiler that you can get up to 12 extra HP on the S. :cheers:

Honestly, it's this kind of talk that starts these senseless rumors. There is absolutely NO basis to the position or separation of the letters further increasing the hp in the S or the base model.

particlewave 09-30-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 468372)
Honestly, it's this kind of talk that starts these senseless rumors. There is absolutely NO basis to the position or separation of the letters further increasing the hp in the S or the base model.

You couldn't be more incorrect if you tried :rolleyes:

Edder B 10-01-2015 08:01 AM

You guys are killing me, I thought it added 8.25 hp to the base and another 3% downforce.

Thanks for the responses.

Ed

PaulDash 10-03-2015 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edder B (Post 468454)
You guys are killing me, I thought it added 8.25 hp to the base and another 3% downforce.

The downforce increase is due to the disruption of the laminar airflow over the trunk lid. The P O R S C H E lettering has a greater frontal cross-section than the Boxster script emblem.

Timco 10-03-2015 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 468372)

Get outta here!!! Really??? You sure about that??

Actually you're right. It's those air vanes that give you performance and grip, not HP. Durrrrrr....

Pdwight 10-03-2015 06:20 PM

Letters on the trunk

Why not put the entire service manual in small raised letters...that way you would always know and never loose traction :cheers:

Slate 01 10-05-2015 05:32 PM

It's a little known fact, that if you spell porsche backwards on the trunk lid, you can get even greater gains in both hp and downforce, not to mention how kewl it looks.

Joe B 10-05-2015 05:47 PM

Boy, you guys must have a lot of spare time on your hands :rolleyes:!

stelan 02-04-2016 10:31 PM

lol, funny thread, anyway where is the best place to get them, I have seen them in chrome but on newer models they seem to be flat black (and to continue with the fun) will the chrome provide more or less hp than the flat black?

mikesz 02-05-2016 06:29 AM

YES the lettering act as NACA duct.

Tcar 02-05-2016 07:41 AM

It can also mean that the car had bodywork done (wreck?) and the shop mistakenly put the wrong logo on the lid.

Seen it several times.

Might check that.

jb92563 02-05-2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 468841)
Boy, you guys must have a lot of spare time on your hands :rolleyes:!

I think this is what happens when the north & Eastern folks don't get to drive their Boxster all winter.

Cabin fever plus Porsche withdrawals.
It eats away at you subconsciously at first, you find yourself in bed with the cold sweats reliving all your glorious twisty road trips in your dreams.

Then they find themselves visiting the garage late at night and staring longingly at their covered Boxster, perhaps peeking under now and then to make sure all is truly well underneath.

Then some resort to upgrade projects as they just can't keep their hands off and leave their sleeping babies lay.

Then the obsessive compulsive behavior sets in, constantly checking the trickle charger, starting the car up, checking the fluids, and polishing waxing detailing sessions.

At this point any forum posts seem desperate and panic sets in as they see reports of dead batteries and lock outs concurring with increasing frequency.

They must run to the garage immediately to make sure the Frunk has been left ajar and the trickle charger is still doing its job so they don't fall victim to the same fate.

Us south westerners don't notice their strange behavior much until desperate, emotional and sometimes incoherent posts start coming in.

Crib 02-06-2016 02:25 AM

Haha, that was one of the more head on stories in a while :cheers:

aczyzewski 02-06-2016 08:19 AM

On mine, the top part of the letter B has been torn off (PO). It only becomes a problem over 120 mph, when the car starts to pull to the right. I do detect a HP boost, but only when I consciously think about it. Comes in handy sometimes.