986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Paul Walker: Late Actor's Daughter Files Lawsuit Against Porsche for Wrongful Death (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58961-paul-walker-late-actors-daughter-files-lawsuit-against-porsche-wrongful-death.html)

pony13ca 09-29-2015 08:48 AM

Paul Walker: Late Actor's Daughter Files Lawsuit Against Porsche for Wrongful Death

I wonder where this will end up?

Daughter of actor Paul Walker files wrongful-death suit against Porsche - LA Times

CHRISP357 09-29-2015 08:51 AM

Rotten little brat.

cas951 09-29-2015 09:05 AM

Porsche will likely end up settling outside of court. Even if Porsche wins it just cost too much money to fight this legal battle.

Retroman1969 09-29-2015 09:14 AM

Another treasure hunter.
If I'm carelessly running along and slip on a banana peel, I'm not going to sue Dole for my broken leg. I'm not even going to sue the guy that dropped it there, even though I'd have more of a chance at a legitimate case.

Perfectlap 09-29-2015 09:34 AM

I think Porsche knew the legal liabilities they were walking into when they decided to sell a racing car as a road car without the requisite driver's aids. In fact, they took on these potential liabilities deliberately simply because they feared losing sales otherwise (as per the testimony of Porsche in the previous Carrera GT fatal accident case). Similarly, the owners knew the risks they were taking buying such a car. But when you're running a business you have to make decisions that increase sales without associating your brand with tragedy or fraud (cough VW).

DarkStar 09-29-2015 09:56 AM

Poor Paul Walker. He has given soo much to the community, Not in his films but what he does in his spare time. Charity work all over the world. Now to have his own flesh and blood go money hungry. 1, Paul Walker was no noob to the car scene. Despite his character on the F&F Movies, he was a legit automotive enthusiast with a decent car collection of his own. Buyer Beware! Purchase of this vehicle will cause stupid ideas! Everyone knows that. And it could have, would have happened with any other vehicle given the right circumstances.

Honestly I would be ashamed if my Daughter did such a thing.

CHRISP357 09-29-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 468154)
I think Porsche knew the legal liabilities they were walking into when they decided to sell a racing car as a road car without the requisite driver's aids. In fact, they took on these potential liabilities deliberately simply because they feared losing sales otherwise (as per the testimony of Porsche in the previous Carrera GT fatal accident case). Similarly, the owners knew the risks they were taking buying such a car. But when you're running a business you have to make decisions that increase sales without associating your brand with tragedy or fraud (cough VW).

Yes, that darn Porsche! How dare they sell us what we want and demand, instead of protecting us from ourselves?

Perfectlap 09-29-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRISP357 (Post 468161)
Yes, that darn Porsche! How dare they sell us what we want and demand, instead of protecting us from ourselves?

I think you're missing my point. It's not an issue of protecting us from ourselves.
It's simply a reminder that if a company chooses to sell a full blown racing car for road car use (by amateurs), then a business executive must be fully prepared for the fatality that will occur (not if). And since these are public roads then you must also take into account that someone with more wallet than driving skill may end up killing the mom in a Honda on her way to work. These are all huge risks that you take with your brand when you make a decision like that. A decision that was made even after Walter Rohrl said the car made his very experienced hands turn white (aka a red flag). It's like the guy who announces to everyone that he's decided to roll the dice and decides to stop paying for home insurance because it will be more profitable for him in the short term. The next week a tree crashes into his bedroom while he's asleep. Don't act so surprised when it predictably goes the other way.

DarkStar 09-29-2015 10:48 AM

But the GT is sold to the General Public... And its not a full blown race car. the 919 is a full blown race car. Its just like any other Ferrari or Lamborghini Sold to the rest of the public. In fact, you'll never see a stock GT in a legit race against actual race cars. And Paul Walker knew what he was doing, he was a car enthusiast. He had a car collection. He liked speed. And the results would have happened either way. The wreck was done at around 100mph... I've done 140 Easilly in my Boxster, Its not a Race Car. I've done 167MPH in my Old Mitsubishi. Its not a race car. Toyota Supra's are well known for cruising speeds of 200mph, They aren't Race Cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 468163)
I think you're missing my point. It's not an issue of protecting us from ourselves.
It's simply a reminder that if a company chooses to sell a full blown racing car for road car use (by amateurs), then a business executive must be fully prepared for the fatality that will occur (not if). And since these are public roads then you must also take into account that someone with more wallet than driving skill may end up killing the mom in a Honda on her way to work. These are all huge risks that you take with your brand when you make a decision like that. A decision that was made even after Walter Rohrl said the car made his very experienced hands turn white (aka a red flag). It's like the guy who announces to everyone that he's decided to roll the dice and decides to stop paying for home insurance. The next week a tree crashes into his bedroom while he's asleep. Don't act so surprised when it predictably goes the other way.

Perfectlap 09-29-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkStar (Post 468165)
But the GT is sold to the General Public... And its not a full blown race car. the 919 is a full blown race car. Its just like any other Ferrari or Lamborghini Sold to the rest of the public.

But unlike "any" Ferrari or Lamborghini, the Carrera GT was never intended to be a road car. That was more of "accident" (pun intended) and Porsche had no choice but to scrap the race car project (with Footwork F1 engine) and make it a car show novelty attraction. When they did decide to sell this racing car to the public they had a simple decision to make about adding a traction control switch, particularly for wet weather, as Rohrl already made it abundantly clear to them that the car was a lethal mix of unpredictable and unforgiving. But they didn't listen and now they're getting sued. Seriously who is surprised by any of what has come since...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkStar (Post 468165)
The wreck was done at around 100mph... I've done 140 Easilly in my Boxster, Its not a Race Car. I've done 167MPH in my Old Mitsubishi. Its not a race car. Toyota Supra's are well known for cruising speeds of 200mph, They aren't Race Cars.

Sure but I don't think you've hit triple digits on a regular street. If you have, you might be insane.
And the Boxster, even the new one, or any Mitsubishi never made Walter Rohrl's face turn white.
Point being when you have a car with those terrifing characteristics that can hit 100 mph on a public street in an eye blink, it's quiet different
than doing 100 mph on the highway.

epapp 09-29-2015 11:31 AM

Why would this ever hold up? They were speeding. Following speed limits, the crash 99.9% would not have happened.

It will be easy for Porsche to say 'reckless driving' and win, right?? CGTs driven in accordance to road laws will not cause the seat belt to trap its occupant, and so on..

DarkStar 09-29-2015 11:41 AM

My stupidity of speeding is my fault. Yes the 167 was on public streets, and I luckily didn't harm anyone or myself in the process. But it was only myself to blame.

Guns Kill People. Spoons make People Fat. The user is not at fault... yeah ok.

This is wreckless driving. Nothing more. Now if this was like the problem with the Prius and the throttle got stuck, then the manufacture is at fault. But I am positive the GT was sold even to Paul Walker with the warnings " please obey all traffic laws" like every car or bike is sold by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 468171)
But unlike "any" Ferrari or Lamborghini, the Carrera GT was never intended to be a road car. That was more of "accident" (pun intended) and Porsche had no choice but to scrap the race car project (with Footwork F1 engine) and make it a car show novelty attraction. When they did decide to sell this racing car to the public they had a simple decision to make about adding a traction control switch, particularly for wet weather, as Rohrl already made it abundantly clear to them that the car was a lethal mix of unpredictable and unforgiving. But they didn't listen and now they're getting sued. Seriously who is surprised by any of what has come since...

Sure but I don't think you've hit triple digits on a regular street. If you have, you might be insane.
And the Boxster, even the new one, or any Mitsubishi never made Walter Rohrl's face turn white.
Point being when you have a car with those terrifing characteristics that can hit 100 mph on a public street in an eye blink, it's quiet different
than doing 100 mph on the highway.

CHRISP357 09-29-2015 11:42 AM

Pretty sure most of us hit triple digits fairly regularly in our Porsches. Only takes a few seconds from 50. Is that Porsches fault too? Maybe they should be computer limited to 65mph.

Perfectlap 09-29-2015 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epapp (Post 468174)
Why would this ever hold up? They were speeding. Following speed limits, the crash 99.9% would not have happened.

It will be easy for Porsche to say 'reckless driving' and win, right?? CGTs driven in accordance to road laws will not cause the seat belt to trap its occupant, and so on..

Because it's a jury... they do unpredictable things. Like for instance they could say that had Porsche not deliberately removed the driver's assists this reckless driving accident might have been survivable. They could rule that Porsche's decision contributed to this being a fatal accident rather than one where a pricey toy gets totaled. Juries do crazy things, hence why manufacturers don't make these kind of decisions. Tellingly, Porsche haven't done this again, which will be an very interesting question as to why not for a very seasoned trial lawyer to ask Porsche in front of said jury.

pony13ca 09-29-2015 11:51 AM

I posted this story this morning. Went to the dealer this afternoon, and ran into this. I've never seen one live before today.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/GT11443556137.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/GT21443556177.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/GT31443556220.jpg

new2bxstr 09-29-2015 11:53 AM

Was reading Jalopnik piece on the lawsuit and this comment about Boxster safety (or the lack thereof) from a side impact gave me the shivers. Looks like a person's shoulder would be destroyed in a side impact.

Link to the comment: Paul Walker's Daughter Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Porsche

Pic of Boxster roll cage area:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...5236028307.jpg

DarkStar 09-29-2015 11:58 AM

I've seen one, in the Local Cruise Spot Sonic Drive Thru. Getting Food! The local "V12 Family" has one. Parked next to their Ferrari's and Lamborghinis'.

Its not the first death due to negligence. And deaths have even occurred on a closed track, with fire and ems teams standing by. Its the risk we all take when we get behind the wheel, whether its on public roads or on a closed course. Race car or Mini Van.

I agree that if the driver was doing the speed limits, this wreck wouldn't have happened. But lets say it did, Your doing 45mph and lose control... Your not hitting the wall or pole at 90mph. Your chances of survival are much greater. Might not want to live after totaling your toy. But the risks were known.

If the lawyers of Porsche can't argue any of this, they need new lawyers.

Where's the lawsuit for Porsche Girl? I unfortunately have seen the photos from that. And it haunts me. And is always in the back of my mind.

pony13ca 09-29-2015 11:59 AM

This is wreckless driving. Nothing more. Now if this was like the problem with the Prius and the throttle got stuck, then the manufacture is at fault. But I am positive the GT was sold even to Paul Walker with the warnings " please obey all traffic laws" like every car or bike is sold by.[/QUOTE]

I think the heart of the claim is that Porsche faulty design stopped Paul from being able to get out of the car, once his friend crashed the car. And that their faulty design contributed to the car burning up in the first place. I don't know if this ever sees a court room, but I would bet that this young lady will get some money out of it!

DarkStar 09-29-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony13ca (Post 468191)
but I would bet that this young lady will get some money out of it!

Oh no doubt.

Perfectlap 09-29-2015 12:09 PM

From new2bxstr's Jalopnik

"It also installed the model’s seat belts in such a way that when the car fractured on impact, the shoulder belt anchor was yanked along with the rear engine compartment while the seat belt anchor stayed put.

This snapped Walker’s torso back with thousands of pounds of force, thereby breaking his ribs and pelvis, flattening his seat and trapping him in a supine position, where he remained alive until the vehicle erupted into flames one minute and 20 seconds later. Paul Walker breathed soot into his trachea while the Porsche Carrera GT burned
.”

^Porsche will settle this case if they're smart. Those sort of claims can only hurt the brand.

P.S.

I saw this quote from Graham Rahal current Indy race car driver:

"It's a race car for the street. Simple as that. It asks for and needs respect at all time. It's not a car for people who don't have experience driving high end vehicles or race cars really for that matter."