Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 04:50 AM   #1

In a bit of a pickle! Convertible top broken on roadtrip.

It looks like both the push rods have disconnected. The plastic caps do not appear broken however the right side has the ball pivot pin seemingly fused to the plastic cap and detached while the left side is simply detached from the ball pivot pin which is still attached to the mechanism.

Ive got the top closed and latched now however the right side of the metal cover does not seem to be pulled down by anything so it is a good 3-4 inches higher than the left side which is flush.

What are he chances that ill just be able to snap everything back in place until I can make it home to take a closer look? Nothing looks broken just detached.

Im currently in London Ontario and need to make it back to Aurora ontario some time today.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

There are many threads on how to disconnect the cables and make the top into a manual top. Supposed to be very easy and takes just a second to move manually.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
This thread might help...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/662-how-to-manually-lowering-convertible-top/

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Thanks for the help took me about 50 minutes of gymnastics and filing but I fixed the hydraulic portion that lifts the metal cover and disconnected the push rods that connect to the roof. Everything is flush now. It seems the culprit is a missing washer nut from one of the push rods. I'm going to replace both ball joints/nuts and the plastic caps when I get back home.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
Thanks for the help took me about 50 minutes of gymnastics and filing but I fixed the hydraulic portion that lifts the metal cover and disconnected the push rods that connect to the roof. Everything is flush now. It seems the culprit is a missing washer nut from one of the push rods. I'm going to replace both ball joints/nuts and the plastic caps when I get back home.
Glad it worked out!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Glad it worked out!
The only change now is that the boxsters convertible button works in reverse. If you press down the top up button the rods which I could not completely remove get jammed but putting the clamshell up halfway then moving the top lets you use the "roof open" button to close it.