Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Lightbulb Group buy: BahnTech AutoTop controller

Guys, I just saw this and it looks like a fantastic deal. $110 plus shipping for a unit which allegedly does everything the Sharky does PLUS the speed function of the $600 TechArt unit!

It sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?
Check out the link:
http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Parts&Number=2265291&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

(For those of you wondering what this is, it is a user-installed circuit which makes your top down button work with a single click, just like the windows. You hit it once to activate the top, again to stop the top. Also, if you do the parking brake hack, you can activate without the parking brake on--as long as you are going under 25 mph)

Last edited by CharlesGordon; 10-21-2003 at 03:43 PM.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

By the way, this is not a interest-gathering query--the group buy is on NOW until 11/3.

Simply go this this URL to buy:
http://www.bahntech.com/purchase/grouppurchase/
Old 10-21-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

thanks for the infor--I ordered 1 tonite
Old 10-22-2003, 04:55 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

I also ordered mine last night. Unfortunately, I probably won't get it and have time to install it and review it for you guys until the 11/3 date passes.

Since they offer a 30 day return policy, my suggestion is that if you are on the edge, just order it anyway. I'm quite sure by now we would have seen some negatives posted if anyone had had a bad experience.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #5

I went for one today as well... thanks for the heads up, Charlie! Will likely install it as part of my end of season service... so it'll be ready to go first thing in the spring.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Cool Don! I might be able to join you for this; either in "how the heck do you do this?" or "let me show you, it's easy" mode.

Bummer about the timing, though...where were these guys this summer!
Old 10-24-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
Forum Contributor

I did get my auto top kit and installed it right away. Took about 20-25 minutes. Works great, BE SURE YOU GET THE INSTALLATION UPDATE EMAIL FROM BAHN TECH BEFORE YOU INSTALL, AS THERE WERE WIRING REVERSALS ON THE OLDER INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAME WITH MY KIT. I didn't try it the way the original instructions specified, as the wiring didn't appear logical, and with my luck, I would have burned up a OEM wiring harness. Good luck. Larry
Old 10-25-2003, 09:15 AM   #8
Regional Moderator

Thanks for the heads up. They emailed me with the new instructions already. Must be a new product.

Glad to hear it works great for you!
Old 11-16-2003, 02:11 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

OK, I had installed mine a couple weeks ago, but it has been too cold to test out except for a few inches.

Today I carefully (it was about 48 degrees) did a few full cycles of the top and the Bahntech unit works great! It is so neat just to be able to do the "chop" in real-time, and also to have the unique experience of stepping back from the car and getting to watch the action. It will be even more fun, in, say 5 months...