Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Garage
Lightbulb Winter Outdoor Storage - Ideas?

Hey folks, I am looking for some help and ideas on how to store my car for the winter. Sadly, I put my car away in late October for the winter season (Canadian) and I store it on my lawn due to high costs of storage fees in my area. Normally I put a couple tarps on the car and tie them down (which takes a few hours).

Any other ideas people can offer for me or things I should do that will make my life easier come storing time (and Spring time)?

Thanks
Dr.C

Old 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

Garage
Not affiliated.... just thought it an interesting solution to the problem.

https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-double-skin-outdoor
pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

Have you done some searching in your area? I know here in South Western Ontario there are a number of farms that rent out space in their barns for cheap to store cars for the winter. And some of these barns are nice and clean and dry. Ask around - there are a ton of farms up your way, you might be surprised.
I was quoted $200 for the season last year from one fellow, $250 from another, again for the season.
Check with your local car clubs.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Dr. Cactus,

You should look into the life support tent called car capsule
Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Have you looked at a garage-in-a-box? I think Cdn Tire carries them. If I didn't have a garage then I would likely go this route.

Plan B: build an insulated and heated garage so you can work on your car over the winter.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
I think it is a felony in Germany to store a Porsche outdoors in harsh winters.

I like the local barn storage idea best followed by the carcoon solution. #nostinkingbluetarps
Old 09-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #7

No matter how you store it you will want to do some things to preserve and protect it, especially if storing outdoors. The biggest worry is critters - rodents like to chew, and wires taste good to them. Your car with all of its nooks and crannies make a great winter home when sitting outside.
To protect it, I would place mothballs under it and in liberal amounts (not inside of it though - you'll never get the stink out if you do). Stuff a few up in the engine bay too. Add steel wool to the exhaust outlets in the rear - just a ball of it in each pipe to keep mice from crawling in (they won't chew through that). I would also get a decent fitting car cover, then tarp over that as you have done in previous years. The car cover will be better protection as the first layer on the paint, as I assume the tarps, no matter how well tied down, will still blow around some and cause lots of scratching and swirling of the paint. A car cover, well fitted, will reduce that issue.
Be sure to add fuel stabilant to a full tank of gas (fill with e-free if you have access to it). Over inflate the tires, apply leather and vinyl protectant to the surfaces inside the car as well as a bag or two of decassant in each footwell.
Lastly trickle charge or pull the battery and store it inside.
Do all of these things, and it won't matter where you store it.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:47 AM   #8

Put some Sta-bil in the fuel. I keep about 1/4 tank in it. Another thing is cover the exhaust tip with tape or stick a wad of steel wool in it. This will keep little rodents from making a winter residence.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
I keep about 1/4 tank in it.
The factory recommended procedure is to completely fill the tank for storage in order to minimize condensation. Why do you feel that 1/4 tank is the way to go?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:57 AM   #10

I live in Wyoming where it gets cold with plenty of snow. I use a California Car Cover year around. It works great, but you do need to remove snow occasionally (it can get 4' deep in my yard).
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #11

Garage
This is going to be my first winter since purchasing my Boxster and have already decided that it will be taking my trucks stop in my heated garage so that I can tinker with it during the winter!

Things I have planned for it during winter storage:
GT-Turismo projector retrofit
Custom front LED DRL's (similar to the style off of the Panamera's)
new brake pads (starting to squeak when coming to a stop) - not sure if I need rotors yet... seem fine still only 22K miles

Open to any other ideas as well?!
Old 09-25-2015, 03:36 AM   #12

Garage
Our winters up here in Canada can be pretty brutal on up.... 6-8 feet of snow, ice, heavy winds etc... So getting the right information is very helpful. Sadly, I am not able to store the car anywhere other than on the grass in my yard so any help with instructions based on that would be best and thankful for as always.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Our winters up here in Canada can be pretty brutal on up.... 6-8 feet of snow, ice, heavy winds etc...
And when we go outside it's even worse!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Our winters up here in Canada can be pretty brutal on up.... 6-8 feet of snow, ice, heavy winds etc... So getting the right information is very helpful. Sadly, I am not able to store the car anywhere other than on the grass in my yard so any help with instructions based on that would be best and thankful for as always.
Again, I would reiterate - talk to one of the local car clubs up there. I'll bet someone knows a solution. A couple hundred bucks (for the season) to store it in a dry barn is money well spent.

Or - you could always drive it? Slap some winter tires on. These cars are good in the snow and they don't use all that much salt up in Ottawa anymore. Just too darn cold for it to work! If it's going to be outside anyways....
Old 09-25-2015, 06:35 AM   #15

Garage
Mark T - LOL So true my friend!!!

Giller - OMG Ottawa uses tonnes of salt on the roads all winter long and you mix the rain days with the salt and it because a solution of hell for our cars etc.... No way am I driving my car in the winter around here - it barely has traction in late Fall.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #16
Bryan

In the GTA, some of those larger self storage places have a multi-car storage area in them, like an indoor garage. I've heard they run about $100/month. Personally, I haven't looked into this option yet but that's one of the options I'm considering for the winter. Toronto's Winter isn't quite as bad Ottawa's, we only get 4-6 feet of snow here so I'm considering only parking it in one of these places from December to the end of February.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #17

Quote:

Giller - OMG Ottawa uses tonnes of salt on the roads all winter long and you mix the rain days with the salt and it because a solution of hell for our cars etc.... No way am I driving my car in the winter around here - it barely has traction in late Fall.
I've driven my car through 11 north east winters. Its been my only car since 2004. Winter tires are a must even if you don't get snow because there's always ice. But If you looked underneath my car you'd see it looks no different than any other car that is stored for winter. Winter roads are hell here because of the pot holes, which hammers the costly suspension, but if you live where the roads are well maintained and smooth, the salt itself is not an issue. Just wash the car regularly like you would do during all the other seasons.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-25-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #18

Tempo shelters - Promotions
Popular around here. I live at the base of a mountain and the wind is Bad, neighbors across the street had a few of these destroyed by the winter wind. If it's a sheltered area or not a horribly windy area this might be what you need if you really can't find a dry interior situation like a barn or underground storage garage under a building somewhere. If your happy with where you are then build a garage. I did a few years back and can't believe I ever lived without it. Opens up a whole season of wrenching without being in a hurry.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #19

Garage
Those tempo shelters are a great idea, but sadly the bylaws here in Ottawa (my area) have a ban on them. I had bought one the first year I moved into my home and received a notice to remove or the city will remove it and give me a fine. That's why my main choice would be some type of wrapping or tarps etc....
Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Mark T - LOL So true my friend!!!

Traction in the fall? You need some new tires friend. People use Porsche's year round all over the world in all sorts of weather. The Boxster is actually a very good car for winter use - it's traction is excellent, with the right tires.

As for salt, I lived in Ottawa for many years and know the cold temperatures there made using salt ineffective. I'm not saying they don't use salt - but for much of the winter it's just too darn cold for the salt to melt the ice, so they sand it to provide traction.

Anyways...good luck. Not sure why you don't just rent a spot as myself and others have mentioned. You aren't putting gas in the car and you can reduce your insurance - that alone easily pays for the monthly cost.