986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Have tire patched at Porsche indy for $60 or at a regular ole tire place for less? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58801-have-tire-patched-porsche-indy-%2460-regular-ole-tire-place-less.html)

new2bxstr 09-18-2015 11:19 AM

Have tire patched at Porsche indy for $60 or at a regular ole tire place for less?
 
My Boxster's tire has a tiny leak that slowly - very slowly - leaks air. I notice it getting lower every two weeks or so.

The indy says they patch it from the inside, which he claims is better than regular tire places that will likely patch from the outside.

Thoughts?

steved0x 09-18-2015 11:34 AM

I have had tires patched at tire kingdom and they dismount the tire and patch it from the inside, and remount, the cost is usually barely any higher than the cost for mounting and balancing a tire. Maybe $20'ish?

Steve

nicecar 09-18-2015 11:46 AM

go somewhere else, i paid about 170 for new rear bridgestone tire. 20 bucks inside patch.

JayG 09-18-2015 12:10 PM

Do not run a tire that has been plugged, only internal patch.

Are you sure the tire is leaking from the tread? I had 2 slow leaking tires on my 996 and it turned out to be the bead seal.
I ended up taking them to a wheel repair place and they fixed the wheels. They are 3 piece with chrome barrels.It is not uncommon for chrome wheels to leak at the beads

In any case, $20-$25 is normal to patch a tire. Some of the tire stores here will do free patching with a coupon from their website. If you have Express Tire, have a look

Jamesp 09-18-2015 12:18 PM

I had a hole ( on a brand new tire :troll:) patched at discount tire. They use a piece of rubber shaped like the stem of a wine glass, with the base being the patch. They removed the tire, prepped the hole area put the "stem" into the hole, glued the crap out of it, pulled it through and pressed the patch down with pressure. Looked like a high quality patch. Price - free.

JayG 09-18-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 466599)
I had a hole ( on a brand new tire :troll:) patched at discount tire. They use a piece of rubber shaped like the stem of a wine glass, with the base being the patch. They removed the tire, prepped the hole area put the "stem" into the hole, glued the crap out of it, pulled it through and pressed the patch down with pressure. Looked like a high quality patch. Price - free.

+986
That is the correct way to do it

A plain plug will not hold up on a high performance car and can be dangerous

jdlmodelt 09-18-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 466603)
+986
That is the correct way to do it

A plain plug will not hold up on a high performance car and can be dangerous

I put a plain plug on my rear tire, cost me $0.50, and it lasted the life of the tire, over 30k miles.

cas951 09-18-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 466646)
I put a plain plug on my rear tire, cost me $0.50, and it lasted the life of the tire, over 30k miles.

Same here and I've done several on my cars. I always have it with me on long trips. The proper way is to use the patch/plug combination but not many tire repair shops have them.
However, you shouldn't be doing track days with a patched or plugged tire. This is where conditions exceeds the limits of the plug.

amagalla 09-18-2015 08:41 PM

If you have an America's Tire, or Discount Tire near you, they'll generally do it for free. They give awesome customer service in order to get the repeat business.

Jamesp 09-19-2015 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 466646)
I put a plain plug on my rear tire, cost me $0.50, and it lasted the life of the tire, over 30k miles.

I have frequently put in plugs and have also run tires many, many miles on them without incident, but that is on SUVs or sedans that are in relatively light service from a tire perspective. If you read the packaging they are not for automotive use. I'm sure there is reasoning based in litigation for that, and the litigation is based on failure rate. I agree with Jayg that a much better repair is an inside patch, and the best is plug and patch.

schnellman 09-19-2015 05:36 AM

Sounds like your indy is taking a hint from the dealership. I got a tire plugged and patched from the inside at my Tire Rack approved dealer for $15. Didn't have a problem for the rest of the life of the tire.

token 00 09-19-2015 11:29 AM

Most of the national chains will patch from the inside. I've been charged anywhere from $10 - $35 over the past 25 years.

lkchris 09-19-2015 12:52 PM

No tire manufacturer approves externally installed plugs.

No tire shop concerned about its liability and its customers does either.

Top_Ramen 09-19-2015 02:04 PM

Get it done right the first time. Take it to an approved tire place to have it internally patched/plugged(should be between $12-25), rather than being out driving around constantly worrying about a plug falling out.

Problem with plugging it yourself, is if it falls out, you're left with a bigger hole than you initially started with....

jdlmodelt 09-19-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 466647)
Same here and I've done several on my cars. I always have it with me on long trips. The proper way is to use the patch/plug combination but not many tire repair shops have them.
However, you shouldn't be doing track days with a patched or plugged tire. This is where conditions exceeds the limits of the plug.

I don't track my car. I plug on cattle trailers, and our 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups and the plugs have not failed us. So, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. :cheers:

JayG 09-19-2015 06:07 PM

A cattle trailer or pickup is not a Boxster. If you drive hard at all its much more stress on the tires .

Wangta 02-12-2018 04:47 PM

Anyone know if this is "patched correctly"?

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1518482865.jpg

Brian in Tucson 02-12-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wangta (Post 562527)
Anyone know if this is "patched correctly"?

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1518482865.jpg

Is it holding air? Probably will do you just fine on the Interstate.

In these parts, the closest and best tire place is Discount Tire. Nice guys do good work. They especially are nice if you are a regular customer (they can tell from your computer file.) Makes me feel a little guilty that I bought a set of Riken tires from Tire Wreck. But they were cheap, made by a subsidiary of Michelin, and get great reviews. Their cheaper than motorcycle tires.:cheers:

Wangta 02-12-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 562530)
Is it holding air? Probably will do you just fine on the Interstate.

In these parts, the closest and best tire place is Discount Tire. Nice guys do good work. They especially are nice if you are a regular customer (they can tell from your computer file.) Makes me feel a little guilty that I bought a set of Riken tires from Tire Wreck. But they were cheap, made by a subsidiary of Michelin, and get great reviews. Their cheaper than motorcycle tires.:cheers:

Yep holds air fine - and we don't drive it super hard. I just didn't know if it was the "right" way with the plug sticking out, and the base glued, etc.

particlewave 02-12-2018 05:30 PM

No way to tell. The "right way" is patched from the inside, but there are patch/plug combinations, so in that instance, you'd still see the plug from the tread side.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website