Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Interior driver door handle broke.....sort of ??

I cant get a break.......When I got home today I went to open the driver door and heard a pop and now the handle droops....but still functions ??

ANyone else had this happen ??

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #2

UGH.... I have had my door panels off a couple of times. It is pretty easy. I am guessing one of the plastic goodies in there either came detached or broke. Either way it'll be an easy fix (I hope).

Here is the Pelican DIY I used to get the door panel off;

Porsche Boxster Door Panel Removal / Mirror Switch Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

Thanks Chuck, did I mention I hate working with interior parts.....especially door panels......they never seem to go back the same way they came off....this is a great bunch of people here

Sincerely
Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I just replaced the driver side window regulator. I bought these tools from Harbor Freight and they made the job way easier. I didn't break any of the panel clips. The mirror cover pulls out at the bottom and then slides up the pillar to release. I ground off some of the burrs on the pliers and then wrapped the working end with electrical tape to help prevent marring. I wished I had these pliers 30 years ago. I have used the plastic tools for all sorts of prying and adjusting.

Panel Clip Pliers

5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I just replaced the driver side window regulator. I bought these tools from Harbor Freight and they made the job way easier. I didn't break any of the panel clips. The mirror cover pulls out at the bottom and then slides up the pillar to release. I ground off some of the burrs on the pliers and then wrapped the working end with electrical tape to help prevent marring. I wished I had these pliers 30 years ago. I have used the plastic tools for all sorts of prying and adjusting.

Panel Clip Pliers

5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set
I have both of these tools and agree they are so helpful.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
On my '01 the spring that holds the handle tight was broken. Pretty easy to replace if you have the part handy. I bet Woody has a few around.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #7

sounds like the spring broke as described in the previous thread. i had the same happen to me. i opened it up and lucky for me just a small piece of the spring broke, the "hook" end that grabs the handle mechanism. i just made another "hook" with some thin pliers and worked just fine.

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote