986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Upgraded Spoiler For 2000 Boxster S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58708-upgraded-spoiler-2000-boxster-s.html)

apswater 09-11-2015 12:07 PM

Upgraded Spoiler For 2000 Boxster S

I put this on my Boxster. Love it.

1997 2004 Porsche Boxster 986 Turbo Style Rear Wing Spoiler Painted | eBay

leftfield6 09-11-2015 12:11 PM

I have seen that auction before, and I agree, I like the looks of it too.

My concern would be the functionality. How do you/we know it would have the same effect on the aerodynamics as the stock item?

CasualCarnivore 09-11-2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftfield6 (Post 465605)
I have seen that auction before, and I agree, I like the looks of it too.

My concern would be the functionality. How do you/we know it would have the same effect on the aerodynamics as the stock item?

I'm with you on that matter, I track my car.

John

Nmbrsix 09-11-2015 02:46 PM

I like the looks, hate the finish and fitment.

Mine will likely be replaced with Cayman parts.

apswater 09-11-2015 08:52 PM

Since driving at the speed where a spoiler would have any benefit is highly unlikely (I keep it under 85 or so), I went for the look. The paint was a perfect match and color sanded. It fit just fine. I did have to cut the allen key to get it to be able to put in the bolts. It really changes the look of the back.

JayG 09-11-2015 09:31 PM

the spoiler deploys at 75 for a reason

it does look nice

BIGJake111 09-12-2015 04:25 AM

I love the look of these but if you take the time to notice you can absolutely "fee"l if your spoiler works, no need to a tape test.

Find some long straight back road where the speed limit is around 55 and you can safely travel over 60.

You can absolutely feel the effect that the spoiler has on the car. It's adds more "weight" to the rear end and makes passing and long sweepers much more planted.

Would love to drive a boxster with stock spoiler and one without back to back and see what's different.

mump 09-12-2015 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 465708)
Would love to drive a boxster with stock spoiler and one without back to back and see what's different.

Couldn't you just pull the fuse to do this test?

Luv2Box 09-12-2015 06:10 AM

I almost jumped on one of those years ago but posed a question about functionality to the PCA tech question and answer board on the PCA site. The answer I got is that the Boxster has an "air dam" not a spoiler. The large surface area has been engineered in to keep the car stable at speeds over 75 mph. It is doubtful that that spoiler can have the same affect, however, it would be cool if someone made one that fit on over the OEM one and maintained the "dam" part as I think it has a better look than the cheap OEM plastic piece.

mack73 09-12-2015 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Box (Post 465719)
I almost jumped on one of those years ago but posed a question about functionality to the PCA tech question and answer board on the PCA site. The answer I got is that the Boxster has an "air dam" not a spoiler. The large surface area has been engineered in to keep the car stable at speeds over 75 mph. It is doubtful that that spoiler can have the same affect, however, it would be cool if someone made one that fit on over the OEM one and maintained the "dam" part as I think it has a better look than the cheap OEM plastic piece.

OEM is actually a spoiler (also referred to as an air dam) who's job is to disrupt unfavorable air flow. This is a WING whos job is to provide downforce.

However, since this style of wing is used on the cayman, which has a similar shape, weight and weight distribution, it is conceivable that the use of the wing could be ok.

Assuming this wing actually does create downforce, the issue lies with the front/rear balance of the downforce at speed. The wing could generate more downforce than the front and cause the front end to go light.

Luv2Box 09-12-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mack73 (Post 465723)
OEM is actually a spoiler (also referred to as an air dam) who's job is to disrupt unfavorable air flow. This is a WING whos job is to provide downforce.

However, since this style of wing is used on the cayman, which has a similar shape, weight and weight distribution, it is conceivable that the use of the wing could be ok.

Assuming this wing actually does create downforce, the issue lies with the front/rear balance of the downforce at speed. The wing could generate more downforce than the front and cause the front end to go light.

I agree with most of what you say, however, the Boxster, being a convertible, would have different downforce characteristics with the top down than a Cayman with a sloping continuous hard top body, so perhaps the "wing" type spoiler would not exhibit the same downforce on a Boxster as it does a Cayman. Having a light loose front end at higher speeds is not what you want.

mack73 09-12-2015 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Box (Post 465750)
I agree with most of what you say, however, the Boxster, being a convertible, would have different downforce characteristics with the top down than a Cayman with a sloping continuous hard top body, so perhaps the "wing" type spoiler would not exhibit the same downforce on a Boxster as it does a Cayman. Having a light loose front end at higher speeds is not what you want.

I agree without the smooth transition onto the back, there probably isn't much laminar flow. And there is a reason why the 987 boxster uses a spoiler but the cayman gets the wing ;)

Pdwight 09-12-2015 12:06 PM

Actually

It would kinda cool if you could have both, the spoiler on top and the airdam under it as it came

rfuerst911sc 09-12-2015 01:18 PM

I want someone to make a small wing like that but that mounts on top of the OEM blade spoiler. I have cash in hand ready to go. In my opinion that would be the best of both worlds. You retain what Porsche engineers deemed acceptable for traction/performance with the addition of some added downforce/looks of the spoiler.

BIGJake111 09-12-2015 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mump (Post 465718)
Couldn't you just pull the fuse to do this test?

I mean a car with an actual spoiler. But not the stock air dam. How would a design like the one the OP bought feel for instance?

Luv2Box 09-12-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 465780)
I want someone to make a small wing like that but that mounts on top of the OEM blade spoiler. I have cash in hand ready to go. In my opinion that would be the best of both worlds. You retain what Porsche engineers deemed acceptable for traction/performance with the addition of some added downforce/looks of the spoiler.

+1 as the OEM plastic "spoiler" part is ill fitting and dull.

mcdandc 09-18-2015 01:21 PM

I noticed that the 'finished cover had come off while driving, the metal top is still there. First thing that came to mind was 'Now I have a reason to buy one of the upgrades, Cool.

jaykay 09-18-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Box (Post 465795)
+1 as the OEM plastic "spoiler" part is ill fitting and dull.

Here we are:http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1442615335.jpg

JayG 09-18-2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 466616)

I would be interested to see wind tunnel results of that

My guess is the wings does very little as the airflow is disrupted by the airdam

also looks kind of stupid IMHO

If you have a wing, you really need to have the correct suspension including coilovers and probably some front aero as well

Luv2Box 09-18-2015 03:17 PM

I'd buy something like apswater bought if it could be attached with the air dam part still on.