Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

Opinions needed

hi all,

Current owner of a boxster with 81000 miles on the clock. A few days ago I had the clutch, flywheel and rms done. Was running well before apart from the clutch being fairly stiff so decided to have the work carried out as all the parts were still the originals.

Now today I have the cel light on the dash which won't go. No obvious issues, drives fine etc. now my question is could this have happened when the clutch etc was changed? Or is it probably just a coincidence? Quickly learning that my love of the car is going to cost me a few ponds lol

paolodiquigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #2

Garage
Could be a coincidence since none of the work you had done should have involved fuel system. So the items I would check that are in the area are the 02 sensors. May have been cracked or wiring disconnected. I'd visually check there. Unfortunately you will need a Durametric or similar to reset the CEL. If no visual issues then get the codes read and someone will be able to help.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll just take it to the same garage and have the codes checked. Or is it more worthwhile buying my own code reader? Will no doubt be something expensive, generally is with this car. It's a Porsche though I have to keep telling myself.....
Old 09-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolodiquigley View Post
Thanks for the reply, guess I'll just take it to the same garage and have the codes checked. Or is it more worthwhile buying my own code reader? Will no doubt be something expensive, generally is with this car. It's a Porsche though I have to keep telling myself.....
If you plan on working on or monitor the health of your car then a Durametric is must have. They can be ordered from the Durametric website around $275.00. Yes everything is expensive since it is lightweight race car! But costs can be reduced if you are handy with a wrench! Good Luck
Old 09-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You need to read the code. Otherwise, any answer is just a shot in the dark. You can read most codes with a $10 OBDII scanner. No need for a Durametric.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Garage
I would still recommend inspecting the 02 sensors. Since someone was in there knocking about, if one is broken I'd be looking to have the shop pick up the repair.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #7

Ok, I'll check out the sensors tomorrow to see if there is anything obvious. I've worked on cars before but not the Porsche yet, was scared of messing something up, although I never have in the past. I've noticed the price ranges vary significantly with the code readers, any reason why I should avoid the cheap ones?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #8

The cheap ones don't read all the codes. Durametric, PST2, PIWIS do. For an owner, the Durametric is probably the best bet. However, Actron is a good bet if all you ever want to read are emissions codes. If you want serious diagnostics with the ability to read transmission, immobilizer, etc codes and trigger functions critical to a diagnosis, the Durametric.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolodiquigley View Post
Ok, I'll check out the sensors tomorrow to see if there is anything obvious. I've worked on cars before but not the Porsche yet, was scared of messing something up, although I never have in the past. I've noticed the price ranges vary significantly with the code readers, any reason why I should avoid the cheap ones?
No. OBDII is OBDII. They can also be used on any other cars you may own, so it's good to have one around.

I have gotten by just fine for 4 years with only OBDII. I only bought a Durametric to reset the airbag light.

Last edited by particlewave; 09-02-2015 at 01:48 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote